Why don't more Schools have Weekend Classes?

goldwarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking around for schools that have weekend classes, because that's the only open time I really have currently. Most schools don't have classes on the weekends or have ones that are for kids.

Why don't more Schools have Weekend Classes? Wouldn't that be a good for getting in more students?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My school is open on saturdays (closed friday and sunday). I agree that saturdays are prime for offering classes. I think some schools don't have them open because hey assume people have other things to do on a saturday.

Personally, there's nothing i'd rather do.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We used to have black belt class on a saturday morning and I really enjoyed it compared to week nights where Ive been to work all day and Im usually half alseep by the time I get to class. Black belt class has recently been moved to friday night and I do miss the saturday session.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have them but only a few show up, I believe most people either want to sleep in and they rather be out doing other things.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends where people have their classes, in commercial premises such as sports centres they charge more to hire at weekends. We had Saturday classes a long while ago but as Terry says, few turned up. The children we got were dumped on us so parents could go shopping.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our school has about 6 hours of class Mon-Fri, and a few hours on Sat. I wouldn't mind seeing more weekend hours, but honestly when you consider all the things that go in to running a school besides the actual teaching I figure my instructor probably puts in a 50 hour work week already.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have attended both weekday-only schools and classes on weekends.

Some of my thoughts:

Do the instructors have time in their schedules?
Do the students' demographics make the time available?
What is the "culture" and tradition?
What is the weather?

Weather you say - in some parts of Northern USA you may at best have only ten-to-twelve great summer weekends potential - exluding the rainouts.

So it tough call - many times Saturday classes are well attended for nine months a year and then - Whamo - summer comes in. I know of places that shut down their Saturday classes (esp. children centric) when the academic calendar ends and pick it back up in September.

Many more adult oriented MA classes - such as JSA and Aikido - often have a strong tradition of weekend classes.

My dream - and I tried it - was to offer Sunday evening classes. What the hell are you going to do on a typical Sunday evening say at Seven P.M. that is worthwhile? Well unless it is FOOTBALL season.:)

BTW it seems most adults are too tired by the time Sunday evening arrives. Wussies!

Last edited:

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our school has a 1 hour make up class on Saturdays. For whoever missed a regular class during the week, white belt to black belt. We usually do more fun stuff the kids like (weapons, boards, etc.) plus a bit more of a workout than a normal class.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around for schools that have weekend classes, because that's the only open time I really have currently. Most schools don't have classes on the weekends or have ones that are for kids.

Why don't more Schools have Weekend Classes? Wouldn't that be a good for getting in more students?

My school is open for a few hours on Sat. Closed Sunday. Usually anything on a Sunday is a seminar.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardly anyone who trains with us works 'office hours' and I work shifts so there's no time that you can put on that will suit all. Our students are just as likely to be working at weekends as they are during the evenings.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our regular schedule has classes on Monday-Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hold classes every Saturday morning, but that will most likely change after I get my won building. I would rather set Saturday aside for open mat/gym and for tournaments.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did a little quick research, and NONE of the Kenpo schools in the area have any Saturday classes.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sat. mornings.
9:00-10:00am
Fitness Kickboxing
Youth Class

10:30-12:00
Wing Chun
Muay Thai

These sessions are usually much lower attended than sessions during the week. Only the most serious members attend and these sessions are usually the best as far as level of technique or sparring.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did a little quick research, and NONE of the Kenpo schools in the area have any Saturday classes.

This occurs due to Friday night technique lines. Everyone is home nursing their wounds.:p

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just not economically feasible. Most commercial schools (that I know of) pay the bills with kids classes. The target time for that is just after school gets out. Since the teacher has to be there anyway, they usually have adult classes right afterwards. Since weekends carve into family time and other activities, they are less preferred.

You might consider looking into adult-only, non-commercial schools.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KMA where I train has Saturday morning hours; about nine until one. After that is demo team practice.

I teach privately on Sundays because that is the only weekend day that I have access to the ballet studio that I teach from.

Daniel

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For us, it's a price issue. Getting space at community centres and the like is much more expensive on the weekends. I would have to double my fees (at least) to offer classes on Saturdays.

Best regards,

-Mark

Latest Discussions