Why does Judo no longer teach these choke holds?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Like rear-naked choke, arm-triangle choke, triangle choke? I think in the past Judo taught these chokes but now no longer teach these choke holds?

I know BJJ is very big on use of these chokes and Miesha Tate have use these chokes a lot.

I believe Miesha Tate used a rear-naked choke on Holly Holm.

Like you see in BJJ or Miesha Tate use in MMA?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like rear-naked choke, arm-triangle choke, triangle choke? I think in the past Judo taught these chokes but now no longer teach these choke holds?

I know BJJ is very big on use of these chokes and Miesha Tate have use these chokes a lot.

I believe Miesha Tate used a rear-naked choke on Holly Holm.

Like you see in BJJ or Miesha Tate use in MMA?
ermmm...wha??

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Elder illustrates with those videos, the chokes you mentioned are all part of the curriculum at any Judo academy and are all regularly used in Judo competition. I have no idea where you got the notion that they are no longer taught.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have learned all of these chokes in Judo, and while I don't compete, I'm fairly certain they are all legal. Who told you that they were not?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
ermmm...wha??

I never said Judo does not teach different chokes.

I don't really see rear-naked choke or triangle chokes? Like what you see in MMA or BJJ.

Those chokes you posted above seem different.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have learned all of these chokes in Judo, and while I don't compete, I'm fairly certain they are all legal. Who told you that they were not?

Yea these chokes are different than post 1 and 2.

Or like the BJJ below.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
type sankaku jime in google and you'll see an example. all of you described is still teached in judo.
but their ground fighting is often stopped by the ref so when watching judo fights one doesn't see much ground techniques.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Moonhill99,

Have you found a MA school yet, or are you still searching for that elusive flawless style?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea these chokes are different than post 1 and 2.

Or like the BJJ below.

I didn't bother looking at those because it does not effect me at all. Regardless of whether or not the videos you found on youtube are an RNC or a triangle choke, it does not mean that Judo does not teach them. I have learned those chokes in Judo, I have had people from other Judo clubs perform them on me, so Judo does teach them.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
type sankaku jime in google and you'll see an example. all of you described is still teached in judo.
but their ground fighting is often stopped by the ref so when watching judo fights one doesn't see much ground techniques.

Can't seem to find video on youtube on Judo chokes like post 1 and 2.

Closest one is this one to post 1 and 2 this one.

Bit similar but done different.

It could be may be post 1 and 2 are BJJ chokes not Judo chokes that why not seen it. That Judo has different chokes than what see in post 1 and 2.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny, we went over the triangle choke last week, and rear naked Wednesday night at my Judo club. Rear naked is one of my go-to newaza techniques. How could I use it if I was never taught it? :D

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They are part of the original judo manual/curriculum. They're still part of the curriculum. I think you see them way less because of the reset of the match once the thrower loses initiative... However it's worded in judo. They have less time to go for the submission whereas in BJJ the match keeps going until someone submits.. Or the time limit runs out.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm so glad to find out these chokes are no longer taught in judo. That means the tapout I did last night didn't really happen, so my randori record looks so much better.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They are part of the original judo manual/curriculum. They're still part of the curriculum. I think you see them way less because of the reset of the match once the thrower loses initiative... However it's worded in judo. They have less time to go for the submission whereas in BJJ the match keeps going until someone submits.. Or the time limit runs out.

I just seen some videos and web sites explaining it!! In BJJ it is called rear naked choke and in Judo is called Hadaka Jime it is the same thing and can be done sitting, standing up or laying on your back or on top of the guy so on.

From I read Hadaka Jime or rear naked choke is more common in none Gi clothing. Where it can be done but is harder to pull of wearing Gi clothing be it BJJ or Judo.

So you don't see too many rear naked choke in sports BJJ with Gi clothing or Judo. Where you will see it more in none Gi clothing and MMA. Harder to pull of with Gi clothing

Latest Discussions