Why does everyone mouth off on TKD?

OP
H

hand2handCombat

im very sorrry.. i got very mad thinking about that tkd guy who attacked me. check out that post on General Martial Talk. verry sorry. got carried away.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're all going to get upset from time to time about things that excite us and are important to us like the arts. Being able to cool down and make nice as people here are doing (on all sides) is the mark of adult, intelligent debate!

OP
F

fissure

My parents just would'nt listen to reason - then again who really listens to a 3 yr old?:EG:

OP
H

Humble artist

Thanks a BUNCH for EVERYONE´s replies.
I have been off this site for a notable amount of time so I could not have replied,I got back couple of days ago.
I have not read all the posts yet,but I´ll slowly start checking them out (kind of a gigantic thread this became)
Thanks again.

:asian: :cool:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Humble artist

I´m not TKD pracitioner myself,even though I respect it as "one of the arts":shrug: ;) honestly,I do.
I wonder why so many non-TKD practitioners seem to hate TKD,always saying how bad it is-how so many schools suck ("to this day I haven´t seen one good school") How it´s ineffective and so on.
I´ve even seen threads like "Is TKD any good...`?"
I can´t say i would know very much about it but I think that I do have "the basics down" in a way or another.
I guess it is quite a same thing when it comes to aikido (another widely misunderstood art) So many to blame,at least this is how I see it.Trough these black glasses
:ubercool:
So...?
:asian:
1. They've never seen it in its true form (All they've seen is sport style)
2. So many bad schools
3. Commercialized, works with #2
4. Are bad at it and don't want to get better
5. Military style hurts too much (very few people study military TKD)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

1. They've never seen it in its true form (All they've seen is sport style)

How do you mean 'true form'? Sport is a legitimate aspect of TKD, sin't it?

Do you have a URL for military TKD?

OP
H

Humble artist

Thanks guys.

"1. They've never seen it in its true form (All they've seen is sport style)
2. So many bad schools
5. Military style hurts too much (very few people study military TKD)"

I see.I´ve asked a similar question in another forum in the past and besides what you say,there was a note that it includes bizarre techniques,"statue of liberty axe kick" was included.

:)

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by arnisador

How do you mean 'true form'? Sport is a legitimate aspect of TKD, sin't it?

Do you have a URL for military TKD?
Legititimate aspect of it, yes, but for self-defense? I think a lot of people are bad-mouthing because they had a bad experience with sport people thinking it would work on the street.

URL, well, search around. There is this one tape, from 1979, which shows military TKD. It's just basically full-contact sparring and you will see how different they fight.

Best bet is actually go to South Korea and look for a knowledgeable instructor where you can be a "disciple" in a way.

Tae Kwon-Do indicates the technique of unarmed combat for self defence purposes, involving the skilled application of punches, kicks, blocks, dodges and interceptions with the hand, arms and feet to the rapid destruction of the opponent.

To see a few techniques of it, get Streetfighting Essentials. The author is a hapkido/TKD practitioner and the techniques shown in the book are of military TKD/hapkido.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Humble artist

Thanks guys.

"1. They've never seen it in its true form (All they've seen is sport style)
2. So many bad schools
5. Military style hurts too much (very few people study military TKD)"

I see.I´ve asked a similar question in another forum in the past and besides what you say,there was a note that it includes bizarre techniques,"statue of liberty axe kick" was included.

:)
axe kick? Yes, it is a technique mainly to develop elascity and flexibility. Though I have used that technique a couple times though. Statue of Liberty? Sounds commercialized.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"axe kick? Yes, it is a technique mainly to develop elascity and flexibility."

heh, one of my students nailed another student in the face with axe kick and he had to get a steel plate put into his face to keep his eye from sinking into his head.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Come to think about it.... Martial artist, I think your statement of the axe kick mainly being used to develop flexibility is meant to apply to front rising kick which is simply throwing your leg straight up and down in front of you to stretch the hamstrings. The axe kick is a staple of TKD used to knock out and break through defenses. It's hard to defend from because it comes down from directly overhead... I almost always successfully hit my target when sparring in Muay Thai and I use that kick, most of them do not learn to defend from that angle. It's my secret weapon I bust out if things are going bad heh. Works like a charm.... until I do it so many times they finally recognise it when they see it and learn to block it. Hope that never happens!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
F

fissure

I have twice seen compound fractures of the collar bone as a result of axe kicks.Broken noses are a blessing compared to this!:EG:

OP
F

fissure

Oh, the Statue of Liberty thing sounds like something an imaginative instructor came up with for a kiddy class - I've never heard of such a thing.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Come to think about it.... Martial artist, I think your statement of the axe kick mainly being used to develop flexibility is meant to apply to front rising kick which is simply throwing your leg straight up and down in front of you to stretch the hamstrings. The axe kick is a staple of TKD used to knock out and break through defenses. It's hard to defend from because it comes down from directly overhead... I almost always successfully hit my target when sparring in Muay Thai and I use that kick, most of them do not learn to defend from that angle. It's my secret weapon I bust out if things are going bad heh. Works like a charm.... until I do it so many times they finally recognise it when they see it and learn to block it. Hope that never happens!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
I have used the axe kick in tournaments, but I rarely do not use it when challenged during class or self-defense situations. A trained person can use a simple retreat to get away from it and I just find the timing for it much more difficult than for something like say, a straight. Another thing though is a powerful axe kick does take some time to "get back on balance" which doesn't really have to do with balance but getting back on your feet. No matter how quick you are, the time to recover would be longer than even a power side (thrust w/ snap) kick. That's just for me.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Martial artist, anything thrown on the street should be at the "expert level". I know what you mean by off balnce and slow and whatnot but.... if you cant throw axe kick lightning fast and with bone shattering power and perfect balance then you have no business throwing that kick to defend yourself. (and I don't mean you when I say you I mean everyone in general) That is how I feel about all techniques, if you've got a slow sloppy weak round kick from Muay Thai than don't use that to defend yourself, use whatever other weapons or techniques you can do fast and hard enough to be realistic.

I think alot of people (not you in particular) learn a technique and maybe never see it executed at a high level of competence and never fully realise it's effectiveness and figure that technique just plain sucks. I know a ton of techniques I suck at but have seen others use on the street with explosive power and speed and knock someone out instantly. And I'm standing there thinking "damn... if I had tried to use that technique it would be me lying on the ground right now". Simply because I haven't trained that technique to a realistic level of competence to use for any kind of street defence and be successful. Anyway, just rambling my thoughts on the matter.

By the way, don't forget to tell us all about your training in Thailand in the Muay Thai section! I really want to know all about it.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

MartialArtist

I didn't train in Thailand extensively. I was there visiting the sights when I was visiting Korea for my family. Hey, if I'm in South Korea, why not go to other places while you're at it? Like going to Germany but not going to places like France.

Even the axe kick done at expert level, I feel that there are more oppourtunities to perform something as simple as a jab than an axe kick.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well like I said earlier, one of my students crushed another students face with an axe kick and he had to get a steel plate put into his face to keep his eye from sinking into his head.... you don't get that kind of power and destruction from a jab.... but why would you want to cause that much destruction?! Guess its there if you need it.

Now about South Korea.... heh, after I train in Thailand for a few weeks I'm going to South Korea for a couple of weeks to train in TKD. Any advice or tips about were to go to train?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

MartialArtist

Look for a military school. A lot of them are private and are not affiliated to organizations like the WTF. You see, although they train A LOT HARDER in Korea than in the states, there are many versions. Some train for combat, others for sport. Seoul would be a good place for a sport style version. Pusan and Taejon are good for military styles.