Why do you train?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not a matter of arts where you don't strive for perfection, it's that not everyone training trains with that mindset. You could train Iaido just because it's fun and relaxing, if you wanted to, and never worry about attaining the perfect cut. I don't think that you'd last all that long, but you could do it that way.

With the horizon metaphor, the idea is more the "never stop improving, never stop on your journey, but don't necessarily be in a rush to get their either" kind of idea. You could look at it from a more pessimistic point of view and say "oh, I'll never get there, why bother", and that's valid. It's not my approach, but I prefer self and personal improvement on a daily basis... I know, selfish, right?

And I don't know what you're talking about with the belt.... I know that I am lost without my Black Belt around my waist... without it, I am left only being the wonderfully balanced, charming, sophisticated, errudite, witty inspiration of awe that I am.... sad, really....

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not a matter of arts where you don't strive for perfection, it's that not everyone training trains with that mindset. You could train Iaido just because it's fun and relaxing, if you wanted to, and never worry about attaining the perfect cut. I don't think that you'd last all that long, but you could do it that way.

That makes more sense! Different approaches to the same art/techniques.

With the horizon metaphor, the idea is more the "never stop improving, never stop on your journey, but don't necessarily be in a rush to get their either" kind of idea. You could look at it from a more pessimistic point of view and say "oh, I'll never get there, why bother", and that's valid. It's not my approach, but I prefer self and personal improvement on a daily basis... I know, selfish, right?

And I don't know what you're talking about with the belt.... I know that I am lost without my Black Belt around my waist... without it, I am left only being the wonderfully balanced, charming, sophisticated, errudite, witty inspiration of awe that I am.... sad, really....

Have I ever told you I love your sense of humor? You forgot loquacious by the way.... Slightly more seriously I do agree with the different points of view (optimistic/realistic/pessimistic). I find that I actually have a pessimistic view when it comes to self evaluation of abilities, a realistic view on what point of the journey I'm at and a - possibly overly - optimistic view of where I could go with it.

With regards to the pessimism though, a while ago I mentioned to you that I was my own worst critic and you then spent the next 2 hours proving to me exactly why I wasn't and how you could be much worse... that was fun! That mindset does seem to stick though which is one of the reasons I tend to look to you for confirmation/clarification midway through a technique because I'm convinced I could be doing it better. Is that somewhat common or am I just proving myself to the world as being weird by over thinking a primarily physical art form?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sense of humour? No, that wasn't joking.... oh, and I didn't mention "loquacious" as I was being humble. You may notice I also didn't include "rakishly handsome" either (and I note that you didn't mention it either.... hmm, might have to re-assess your latest grade)...

In terms of the mindset (self-criticism), I tend to think of it as an important piece of everything I do. There has to be a grounding in reality with it, though, you can't just look at what you think is bad, but by the same token you can't ignore any of that either. It's a matter of being as genuinely honest with yourself as you can be, and there are a few different ways to do that. I'll take you through a couple when we get back.

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oops! Quoted the whole paragraph, meant to be from "I know, selfish right?" onwards. I didn't mention your devilish good looks because I figured you'd have plenty of people telling you that already... plus it may seem just a tad odd coming from me.

Thank you :) I find I have trouble distinguishing between what's honest and what's wishful thinking. For example, with staff weapons I know I'm not nearly as good as I can be and at least one other student from the Tuesday classes is much more competent. However compared to him my sword work is a lot better. That being said, in the grand scheme of things I'd rate it as competent in that I know not to hold the sharp pointy end but not a whole lot more.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgot humble to a fault... ;)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Swords are cool.
2. I love the feel of a well-balanced sword more than any other weapon.
3. Swords are cool.
4. Training with a sharp sword focuses me like nothing else.
5. Swords are cool.
6. All the popular kids train with swords and will give me sword wedgies if I don't.
7. Swords are cool.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Without my belt, I just have no place to put my sword.....

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
6. All the popular kids train with swords and will give me sword wedgies if I don't.

Sword wedgies huh? Ouch!

So we've established there are a few people who think swords are cool :) I know the Zombie Apocalypse tends to come up a fair bit around these here parts and I'd definitely go with a blade over a gun. For one, I've never fired a gun so will probably put a bullet through my foot ;)

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
No reloading with a sword. But then again in a zombie apocalypse any blunt implement will do. Does anyone remember Casey Jones from the Ninja Turtles? Golf clubs and Cricket bats.

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to use movies as prep methods you can't forget CD's used as shuriken... Worked in Shaun of the Dead...

Burnse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No reloading with a sword. But then again in a zombie apocalypse any blunt implement will do. Does anyone remember Casey Jones from the Ninja Turtles? Golf clubs and Cricket bats.

While I approve of the satisfying crack that follows a swing with a cricket bat, that requires relatively close-quarter fighting while they attack en masse. Give me a machine gun and cover me in so many ammunition belts that when I fall over from the weight I can go with knowledge that while they try to devour my flesh at least one will break a tooth on a shell.

@Ken Morgan - Without a belt the only thing to hold a sword is the body of your opponent.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he got to the humble part in his next post but you forgot to mention his rakish good looks as well.... :lol:
I lack the honor of a personal acquaintanceship to allow me to assess his rakish good looks... Though, in light of reports from others, and his own awesome humbleness, I fear that I couldn't be in the same room with him, without being lost in the glare of his rakish awesomeness.

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
While I approve of the satisfying crack that follows a swing with a cricket bat, that requires relatively close-quarter fighting while they attack en masse. Give me a machine gun and cover me in so many ammunition belts that when I fall over from the weight I can go with knowledge that while they try to devour my flesh at least one will break a tooth on a shell.

@Ken Morgan - Without a belt the only thing to hold a sword is the body of your opponent.

Burnse, I'd say from that you've been spending far too much time around me. Satisfying crack following a swing from a cricket bat? :p Oh and I'm sure Mr. Morgan would have varying size "sword holders" that he has... shall we say personally crafted? :p

I lack the honor of a personal acquaintanceship to allow me to assess his rakish good looks... Though, in light of reports from others, and his own awesome humbleness, I fear that I couldn't be in the same room with him, without being lost in the glare of his rakish awesomeness.

ROFL I read this on the train on my phone and nearly killed myself laughing. Got me plenty of room from the other people on there who were suddenly very scared of the crazy guy lol. His rakish good looks and awesome humbleness though pale in comparison to his other qualities though: "wonderfully balanced, charming, sophisticated, errudite, witty inspiration of awe", all that and he's damn scary when he wants to be ;)

Burnse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
His rakish good looks and awesome humbleness though pale in comparison to his other qualities though: "wonderfully balanced, charming, sophisticated, errudite, witty inspiration of awe", all that and he's damn scary when he wants to be ;)

You forgot loquacious. God I love that word. It hints at it's very definition with a mouthful of vowels.

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's nothing like having your **** handed to you by the most humble person on the planet. While basking in awe you are simply annihilated, then wonder what happened :D

Latest Discussions