Why did you start teaching martial arts?

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
What made you want to teach? What was your why?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who said I want to teach? I want to train. The problem is that I moved from California, where there is lots of Danzan Ryu, to Florida, where there is no Danzan Ryu. So, the organization I am a part of, asked me to start up a school in Florida, as the next closest school is in South Carolina. In order for me to train, I need to teach and bring students up to the level where I am at. It takes a lot of patience, and I spend a lot of time studying the lower, introductory lists. But I am learning them well.

I am also forced to do a lot of my own research. I can't just ask Sensei, next week in class. I have to figure a lot of things out on my own. There are even times that I need to use the "because thats how my Sensei taught me..." But, I take note of those things, and ask when I get near folks with more experience than I, in Danzan Ryu. Heck, I even look at how other arts answer those questions, and work on those responses. Many times that opens a door for me to see more into Danzan Ryu. (by "look at how other arts answer those questions" I mean, I actively train with other arts to get hands on experience... then look to see how that works with Danzan Ryu.)

Over all, it has been quite an experience, I have learned a lot. But, I do miss being the student that could just show up and train... The good ole days!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What made you want to teach? What was your why?
To get sparring/wrestling partners. MA is 2 persons art. You can't train it alone. You need training partners.

You may have difficult time to ask next door neighbor to spar/wrestle with you, Now you are a teacher. You can force your students to spar/wrestle with you. They can't say no. While you are beating them up, they still have to pay you. Will that be nice? :)

When you teach, you also learn at the same time.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, it's simple: I like helping people get better at stuff. I love seeing the light go on when they "get" something, and even more when that changes something important for them.

That's how I am in general, so teaching something I know is a natural progression for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get sparring/wrestling partners. MA is 2 persons art. You can't train it alone. You need training partners.

You may have difficult time to ask next door neighbor to spar/wrestle with you, Now you are a teacher. You can force your students to spar/wrestle with you. They can't say no. While you are beating them up, they still have to pay you. Will that be nice? :)

When you teach, you also learn at the same time.
You are not a nice person, John. :D

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why did I start teaching? Because I wanted more mat time and helping the instructor was a way to do that.
Why did I continue teaching....because it was something I was really good at and I enjoy seeing others find the same love for martial arts that I have , helping others on their journey is the greatest gift for me.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love teaching
I like playing with techniques, showing others what im passionate about, and helping others feel safe and accomplished

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Master said "I want to make you an instructor."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be a teacher, it makes you to think whether you want to take the

1. depth first method, or
2. breadth first method.

Method 1 may be harder for beginners. Method 2 may result students know a lot but can't do anything.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To be a teacher, it makes you to think whether you want to take the

1. depth first method, or
2. breadth first method.

Method 1 may be harder for beginners. Method 2 may result students know a lot but can't do anything.
Why does it have to be an "either or" thing? I do both. Every class we do rolls and falls and shrimping exercises. Every class we start with o'soto gari. These are techniques and moves you can learn and do on your very first day of training. And we practice them every class. By the time a student gets black belt, they can roll, fall, shrimp and do o'soto gari pretty well, as they have done a bunch of repetitions and studied those techniques a lot... every single class, from day 1. These techniques are studied in a lot of depth. Then we branch out, doing different techniques. Usually some self defense oriented things. I have a small number of basic things that we do over and over, but they are set up differently or are put into different combinations. A little more breadth, but still decent depth. We will then cover rank requirements for the students. This becomes almost equal depth and breath here. At the end of class, we do fun / neat techniques. These are whatever I think might be fun and interesting that night, that we haven't done in a while or that I picked up from a seminar or from training with another art. Lots of breadth here, little depth. It doesn't have to be binary, depth first or breadth first. You can, and should do both.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does it have to be an "either or" thing? I do both. Every class we do rolls and falls and shrimping exercises. Every class we start with o'soto gari. These are techniques and moves you can learn and do on your very first day of training. And we practice them every class. By the time a student gets black belt, they can roll, fall, shrimp and do o'soto gari pretty well, as they have done a bunch of repetitions and studied those techniques a lot... every single class, from day 1. These techniques are studied in a lot of depth. Then we branch out, doing different techniques. Usually some self defense oriented things. I have a small number of basic things that we do over and over, but they are set up differently or are put into different combinations. A little more breadth, but still decent depth. We will then cover rank requirements for the students. This becomes almost equal depth and breath here. At the end of class, we do fun / neat techniques. These are whatever I think might be fun and interesting that night, that we haven't done in a while or that I picked up from a seminar or from training with another art. Lots of breadth here, little depth. It doesn't have to be binary, depth first or breadth first. You can, and should do both.
This.
Plus, sometimes breadth is also depth. If I teach 5 techniques that use a common principle, I might drive deeper on that one principle than if I spend all that time going deeper on a single technique.

Latest Discussions