Why did you start Kenpo?

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

I studied a variety of different arts under various people. But, I always felt something missing. When I saw Mr Parker giving a demonstration I was hooked the more I watched the more sense it made.
It felt like a missing piece of the puzzle was now found.

I have been hooked ever since.

I wish to say thank you to everyone who viewed and/or replied to this posting question. I appreciate you opening up and letting us all know your reasons why.

Thank You

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

OP
R

rschoon

In 1993 I was getting ready for a career change into law enforcement and thought that I needed to get in shape while going back to college. I started and just couldn't stop, (except for about 6 months for a neck injury). I even met my wife in Kenpo and at the wedding I think the Kia's were louder than during a group class.

I still train with the same instructor, Mr. Steve Hirst and Mr. Sepulveda several times a year.

I also have a part time studio.

Rick

OP
R

RCastillo

Chicago Green Dragon said:
I studied a variety of different arts under various people. But, I always felt something missing. When I saw Mr Parker giving a demonstration I was hooked the more I watched the more sense it made.
It felt like a missing piece of the puzzle was now found.

I have been hooked ever since.

I wish to say thank you to everyone who viewed and/or replied to this posting question. I appreciate you opening up and letting us all know your reasons why.

Thank You

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Yeah, I leared alot too. Stay away from the Green Dragons School. I dont want no beatin's! :deadhorse

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in and out of various martial arts when I was younger, most of them kenpo blend arts. When I started college I enrolled in a PE class labeled "martial arts". I signed up not expecting much, I was expecting to find a cardio kickboxing class or something along those lines. The class was located in the basement of one of the buildings and was not what I expected; it turned out to be a true Kenpo class. I was hooked from the first day and each day in class my interest and enthusiasm grows.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Way back when I was a kid (teenager) I was not real active, parents encouraged me to find something to do (Father to son "you're spreading kid). Did'nt care for team sports-between a interest in Boxing and a Martial Arts Demo I decided to check out a Karate school. Wound up at a Kenpo place and been obsessed ever since

Why (or how) I keep training - whole nother question
Thanks
Todd

OP
O

OC Kid

In 1987 I recieved my B/B in a japanese system. I moved away and was looking for a school to help me become a good fighter. I ended up at Bob Whites and Tod Mc Elhenneys (Dick Willets old school). They had the best fighters around. I was never exposed to Kempo prior to that. I fell in love with the art. Though I never really studied it as a student going through the ranks I have picked up alot of the techniques and have added them to my system. I still continue to stop by Mr. Whites school when I have the time and I have never left there with out learning something new. I have always been impressed with them.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had seen alot of kenpo over over the years, and it never caught my fancy. Then I met Michael Robert Pick, and since that I have been training kenpo.