why did you start karate

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was 36yrs old, my son was 8 and wanted to get into karate. I sat around the dojo watching him and they offered me some free classes. One thing led to another and
I was signing a contract. That was in 1987.

What has it done for me? I am a much nicer *%%&^* person and have a deep $$^%^%^&$ respect for other #&*^% people (JK) :)

Awesome stuff! :lol: I took my kids to TKD last September because I wanted them to study Martial Arts. I had wanted to study all my life (I'm 45 now) but never had classes that started when I was off from work or out of school or something. I had taken about 6 months of Kung Fu from Alan Lee's school in Manhattan in '80, but that was it. After watching my daughters for two weeks, I asked if they had classes for adult beginners, and I started the following Friday. So that's it; I'm going until I die now, it's a dream come true for me to be finally in a position to be studying Martial Arts. Come September the whole family (6 of us) will be going. :D

And it was David Carradine and Kwai Chang Cane that got me interested in the Martial Arts initially. Master Po and the grasshopper :D

jim

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What got me started was no big story, in fact it is either funny or rather boring ...

I was still playing baseball, but during the off season did not do much of anything to stay in shape. My sister asked me to attend her aerobics class, I eventually agreed to watch one. While watching all the folks jump up and down to music, I spotted a Karate studio just four doors down. Somehow, through my boredom, I wandered down to the studio and spoke to the sensei. He was rather young and spoke with a heavy Bostonian accent. During our conversation, it came to me that I may like this as I would not only be exercising, but would be learning something as well. This was a much better thought than the empty minded jumping around during an aerobics class.

The next day I went in and worked with the sensei. Having an athletic background, it all seemed to come easy to me. I started that day, signed, sealed and delivered.

kicksindabank

Green Belt
Reaction score
Karate chose me. I had alot of anger and needed to get it out my system. My instructor attends my church and told me to come see him. I did and have been there every since.

Karate has helped my journal into womanhood. Growing up, and basicly be strong in who I am, where I have been, and where I am going.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My interest in Martial Arts in general started because of Jay T. Will. I however decided to study matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu because of the Sensei. My initial instructor was Papa Joe Hayes.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started in March 1998. I was 13, was getting beat up on a weekly basis, and my father wanted me to be able to defend myself. Then I met my teacher in 2001, a few months before my Cho Dan test. His first words were, "Your technique looks like s***! I've been training with him ever since, and havent found a soul worthy to replace him!

Latest Discussions