Why did you choose Krav Maga?

zilverkakashi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Explain why you practice krav maga, what are the things you like about it and your real real life experiences using it. :shotgun:

Rallypunx

White Belt
Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, but I figured I'd reply anyway. I initially learned Krav Maga as part of my job training. Since they only provide the initial training, I liked it so much I decided to continue practicing it. In my opinion, it is one of the most simple self defense arts, as all the attacks and moves are based on human instinct and most people can learn it quickly. I was unfortunate in the fact that I had to use it various times in the course of my duties and it was effective every time. That was enough evidence for me to continue practicing it in order to improve and stay proficient.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I began because my Dojunim recomended it. I had been training only in Tang Soo Do at the time and badly wanted to learn more in close fighting. I like the fact that the roots of Krav Maga are if it works, keep it; and if it doesn't, throw it out. Unlike some other entities that I know which will cling to tradition for tradition's sake even if more knowlage collects and a better way accomplish somthing is understood.

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Because this martial art concentrates on situational self defense

kravazon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started Krav Maga so I could learn self defense I could apply immediately. I had just moved to a new, large city by myself and was feeling uneasy on my way home from work every night. I haven't had to use it out in the real world, but I feel confident in my skills.

Also, krav will get you in shape like woah. I've never been more toned than when I'm doing Krav Maga.

mattjans

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had trained in a couple different arts in the past (Tang Soo Do through 1st Dan when I was in HS and college and a few others off and on). When I moved to LA a couple years ago, I wanted to take advantage of the deep martial arts options here (I'm still amazed at what's here). But I stumbled into Alliance Crossfit/KM (then Focus Fitness) with a Google Offer, figuring that having both those things would be great (and it is). I've been there 3.5 years, and while I mostly do CF, I've been doubling my time and adding KM the past year. Agree that it's a great workout, and it's been really eye-opening coming from a traditional martial art. Immediately learned some things that would be big risks in a fight (standing too tall v. head down, punching from hip v. from guard, and sticking punches and kicks v. snapping them).

I was a little primed to learn more practical fighting than traditional martial art. I sparred with some guys in college who just wiped the floor with me due (at least in part) to my limited traditional and point sparring experince (was good at that, but it's SO different from actually fighting). Between that experience and some failed demos for friends where someone with grappling/wrestling experience quickly took me down, I was ready to learn techniques that work.

I also like the "keep it if it works" philisophy, and I stay with Alliance because of the atmosphere and training (high intensity, but no thugs, and not too "jocky" or MMA focused, although they have a "fight class" I'm itching to try).

Not sure if this is the same at other schools, but they have a very informal but serious approach to training. No gi or belts, just a Krav tshirt (and they aren't too strict about that). They say "don't call us sir or ma'am". It's funny that despite the military history, they're much less "martial" than traditional arts (few static "in-line" exercises, no tennets to chant at the end of class). I like all this, and I like that it's serious and focused, without being "disciplined" in the traditional (and shallow) sense of the term.

PADDY88

White Belt
Reaction score
i first got into krav maga after researching different systems was attracted due to the real life application and simplicity of techniques also the fact it includes multiple attacker training and weapons defence that some other systems lack have been in situations both before starting krav maga and since been training about 2 and half years now and approach situations much differently now and more confidently

pcmolter

White Belt
Reaction score
I did it for fitness

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions