Why are we not talking about this?!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...for-public-lewdness-after-reporting-rape?lite

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-mo-girl-expelled-for-making-rape-claim/

Punishing the victim...

Normally we are outraged when this happens.

When it happens to Western Woman in a Mid Eastern country...

Instead we talk about the believes of some guy in the swamps of the South East, if it wasn't for 'Reality TV' nobody would give a rip and nobody would have ever asked him.

And normally billy is the first to yell 'Sharia Law'
If punishing the victim isn't it....

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...for-public-lewdness-after-reporting-rape?lite

Punishing the victim...

Normally we are outraged when this happens.

Instead we talk about the believes of some guy in the swamps of the South East, if it wasn't for 'Reality TV' nobody would give a rip and nobody would have ever asked him.

And normally billy is the first to yell 'Sharia Law'
If punishing the victim isn't it....

Once again I make the comment "Welcome to America, the nation of people brainwashed by TV."
Most people allow others to think for them, and this isn't what people want to focus on. Rape is a HUGE issue, and it is ignored. Especially because people just don't think it affects them, especially in the minds of men. Which is completely untrue. I know 4 women who have been raped, and 2 men who have as well. It is a widespread and serious issue that I agree should not be ignored.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Punishing the victim... Normally we are outraged when this happens.

And normally billy is the first to yell 'Sharia Law' If punishing the victim isn't it....

Hey Gran. thanks so much for putting this where MTs have to see it.

Not much outrage unless we generate it and keep focused on the thousands of assaults
like this one.

I've been on call 6x this month and will be tomorrow and day after Christmas.
this is not an exception or an unusual situation.
Things are better in my service area: 5 counties, 17 separate LE jurisdictions, 9 hospitals to cover.

But prosecutions and investigations and treatment of survivors
are better because we _made_ the institutions and the people
do better. Some of them had to be forced through every means we could use,
and it took years. I'm proud we didn't back down and didn't shut up.

"Stranger" rapes/assaults are so rare we call each other when they happen.

Sexual assaults, molestations, incest, lewd acts on kids under 12 - all by 'friends', dads, uncles, cousins
"AKTV" (assailant known to victim) are what happens every hour of every day 24/7, 365.

What a strong, resilient young woman, to come back from this repulsive response by the institutions.
my deep respect to her family and supporters and to the young man who now stands with her.

The MAs (here on MT and all over the web) debate 'RBSD'.
This case is real 'Reality'.
This is where my POV on SD4W starts and forms 99 per cent of what and how we prepare.

thanks again Gran. I'll be sharing this w/some survivors and their families.
with respect,

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On top of being violated they also get crucified?

I posted this on another forum, the ladies are busy bickering about the assault on their Christian faith because somebody somewhere altered the lyrics of a Christmas carol...or the clerk at the store wishes them 'Happy Holidays', liken themselves to the Christians being killed in Syria and Iraq...

A young girl being persecuted for being victim of a crime garnered 2 responses, TWO....

What the hell Effed up culture do we live in?!

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Gran. thanks so much for putting this where MTs have to see it.

Not much outrage unless we generate it and keep focused on the thousands of assaults
like this one.

I've been on call 6x this month and will be tomorrow and day after Christmas.
this is not an exception or an unusual situation.
Things are better in my service area: 5 counties, 17 separate LE jurisdictions, 9 hospitals to cover.

But prosecutions and investigations and treatment of survivors
are better because we _made_ the institutions and the people
do better. Some of them had to be forced through every means we could use,
and it took years. I'm proud we didn't back down and didn't shut up.

"Stranger" rapes/assaults are so rare we call each other when they happen.

Sexual assaults, molestations, incest, lewd acts on kids under 12 - all by 'friends', dads, uncles, cousins
"AKTV" (assailant known to victim) are what happens every hour of every day 24/7, 365.

What a strong, resilient young woman, to come back from this repulsive response by the institutions.
my deep respect to her family and supporters and to the young man who now stands with her.

The MAs (here on MT and all over the web) debate 'RBSD'.
This case is real 'Reality'.
This is where my POV on SD4W starts and forms 99 per cent of what and how we prepare.

thanks again Gran. I'll be sharing this w/some survivors and their families.
with respect,

Please keep up the good work!
Right now - even with Christmas carols in my ear, I am about to lose it. This is impossible to ignore!

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
On top of being violated they also get crucified?

I posted this on another forum, the ladies are busy bickering about the assault on their Christian faith because somebody somewhere altered the lyrics of a Christmas carol...or the clerk at the store wishes them 'Happy Holidays', liken themselves to the Christians being killed in Syria and Iraq...

A young girl being persecuted for being victim of a crime garnered 2 responses, TWO....

What the hell Effed up culture do we live in?!

People feel more justified in their hate of others when they can somehow turn themselves into the poor beaten down victims. It's not surprising that the outspoken conservatives claim to be attacked for their faith and turn something as innocent as a non denominational holiday greeting into a huge issue.

As for this case, it really is quite disheartening to see that nobody mentions this or makes many comments toward it. You look at comments on news articles and you will see thousands of comments about non issues that make no difference. Who cares what this movie star, or that singer did? Apparently everyone. But who cares about victims of violent crime, or laws and policies that affect all of our lives? Practically nobody.
What is even more sad, is the people that DO comment on these things generally spin it to an agenda having little to do with the topic.

I thank you for bringing this up, and it is indeed something I am very involved with. I know far too many victims to sit back and ignore this. Sadly my State is horrible about investigation and persecution of rape, and it is not uncommon for victims that report such attacks to be put on trial or questioned like criminals or "attention seekers". It's despicable.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because #1 Schools Suck nothing surprises us anymore after a kid can get kicked out for eating a poptart wrong #2 usually more to stories like this then is reported #3 Shes not famous.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once again I make the comment "Welcome to America, the nation of people brainwashed by TV."
Most people allow others to think for them, and this isn't what people want to focus on. Rape is a HUGE issue, and it is ignored. Especially because people just don't think it affects them, especially in the minds of men. Which is completely untrue. I know 4 women who have been raped, and 2 men who have as well. It is a widespread and serious issue that I agree should not be ignored.
Where in the world do you live Prison? Other then at work I know nobody that's been raped.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where in the world do you live Prison? Other then at work I know nobody that's been raped.

Really? Are you sure? Have you considered the possibility that you do, but they are, for many possible reasons, unwilling to reveal this fact to you?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People feel more justified in their hate of others when they can somehow turn themselves into the poor beaten down victims. It's not surprising that the outspoken conservatives claim to be attacked for their faith and turn something as innocent as a non denominational holiday greeting into a huge issue.
:BSmeter:
As for this case, it really is quite disheartening to see that nobody mentions this or makes many comments toward it. You look at comments on news articles and you will see thousands of comments about non issues that make no difference. Who cares what this movie star, or that singer did? Apparently everyone. But who cares about victims of violent crime, or laws and policies that affect all of our lives? Practically nobody.
What is even more sad, is the people that DO comment on these things generally spin it to an agenda having little to do with the topic.
Its done on purpose. Right now its all Duck Dynasty talk all over they place meanwhile they quietly cut pensions for disabled vets. Bait and Switch Nothing to see here move along
I thank you for bringing this up, and it is indeed something I am very involved with. I know far too many victims to sit back and ignore this. Sadly my State is horrible about investigation and persecution of rape, and it is not uncommon for victims that report such attacks to be put on trial or questioned like criminals or "attention seekers". It's despicable.
Ive seen some horrific questions asked to victims by lawyers Once I got so pissed I cussed the lawyer out after the trial. She said "Just doing my job nothing personal"

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? Are you sure? Have you considered the possibility that you do, but they are, for many possible reasons, unwilling to reveal this fact to you?
No Im sure I was molested as a kid by a neighbor but that's it. If your not in the business then to personally know that many victims is rare.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No Im on my couch not prison but If your not in the business then to personally know that many victims is rare.

I'm not in law enforcement (which I presume is what you mean by "the business") and yet I know at least a dozen women who have been the victim of various sorts of sexual assault. That's not including the ones I see professionally.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You really might be surprised...
they say one in four women gets assaulted...I doubt the number is really that high...but for what it's worth, my own mom was attacked by somebody she trusted and considered a friend.
Somebody who had the nerve to tell me (at the tender age of about 16) to tell my mother that he was sorry....I don't know how far he got, I know it never went past my sister and I in terms of reporting!
I am sure guys talk even less about these things.

In the same note, the announcement that sexual attack reports in the Armed Forces would be taken more serious as per law disappeared off the MSN headlines within hours. I was unable to find it again. Yeah for the ladies to spearhead the action, but there are still way more guys being assaulted than gals, even if the % don't show that.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not in law enforcement (which I presume is what you mean by "the business") and yet I know at least a dozen women who have been the victim of various sorts of sexual assault. That's not including the ones I see professionally.

Not just law enforcement I ment Medical professionals, counselors, law enforcement, lawyers, ect.. The Business. Man I must live in a great area then if all you guys know so many victims personally. I know of victims around but Im talking friends and family members.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not just law enforcement I ment Medical professionals, counselors, law enforcement, lawyers, ect.. The Business. Man I must live in a great area then if all you guys know so many victims personally. I know of victims around but Im talking friends and family members.

Again, perhaps you should consider the possibility that you know more victims than you realize.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, perhaps you should consider the possibility that you know more victims than you realize.

Perhaps all of us should consider alternate possibilities....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score

My wife is a survivor of rape, I have 2 friends that were raped at parties in college, I have a male friend that was drugged by a woman and raped while incapable of fighting back. She actually cut him several times and was very violent. He didn't report it despite being urged to by several people because of the idea that guys can't be raped.
I HAVE a few others that I won't even mention because I swore to never speak of it and I take that seriously.
I am very open and understanding. People come to me with their problems and know I don't judge. But you would be surprised at how many of these survivors have hidden this from their own families.

It isn't easy to deal with, and while I know people who have come forward I can guarantee we all, myself included, know people that have NOT come forward as well.

As for living in a prison? No, I don't. But I HAVE lived in horrible areas filled with crime. I don't anymore, my life and area I live in are pretty average. And most of the rape survivors I know come from this area. An upper middle class community.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really might be surprised...
they say one in four women gets assaulted...I doubt the number is really that high.
Yeah that sounds really high I work in a college town and its no where near 1 in 4 woman. we average 15 rapes a year. Now state law here is a little different and some things considered Rape in some states isn't a rape here. For example only a female can be actually Raped. We have 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th degree Rape and 2st 3nd 4rd 4th degree Sex offenses. Penalty's are identical just the wording is different

...but for what it's worth, my own mom was attacked by somebody she trusted and considered a friend Somebody who had the nerve to tell me (at the tender age of about 16) to tell my mother that he was sorry....I don't know how far he got, I know it never went past my sister and I in terms of reporting!
I am sure guys talk even less about these things.
I was sexually molested when I was 8 and 9 but I never reported anything. Still never told my parents they would be devastated because they used him as a babysitter and I wouldn't want them to blame themselves. I will say I have taken quite a few males reporting sexual assaults so I think they are starting to report if more then before

In the same note, the announcement that sexual attack reports in the Armed Forces would be taken more serious as per law disappeared off the MSN headlines within hours. I was unable to find it again. Yeah for the ladies to spearhead the action, but there are still way more guys being assaulted than gals, even if the % don't show that.
See I was in the Infantry so we never worked with woman so I never saw sexual harassment or assaults in the military.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score

As for "The Business" I am a certified nurse aid who has worked in the medical field for a while and I'm going to school for psychology. I am also very involved with support groups and help in my community as much as possible.

Latest Discussions