Why are some threads missing?

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry about the random question, but I've noticed that there are times when some threads here are missing, only to come back at a later time. For example, I wanted to read the "Favorite Technique" thread that was posted earlier but it's gone from my list of threads. Also the thread that I just responded to, the "What ranks does your system use" thread, is currently not on the list of new posts. I noticed it a few weeks ago when I was on my laptop checking threads and then went on my desktop to respond to one but the thread wasn't on my desktop. I hope I'm explaining it well. Not that it's that important, but is there a "MartialTalk" reason for it? Is it something like "when someone uploads a response the thread goes invisible for a few seconds?" Thank you in advance.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Threads don't seem to be missing for me, and I can see the belt system thread right now as well. Perhaps it's a problem on your end?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know sometimes new threads don't appear in the new threads column but never noticed any disappearing even ones that get locked still stay on the site

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Threads don't seem to be missing for me, and I can see the belt system thread right now as well. Perhaps it's a problem on your end?
You might be right. It may be my end. I actually can't see this thread on my list of New Posts. The only reason that I know you responded is because I was sent an alert. Maybe some threads are just Ninja Threads.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A thread won't show up on your list of New Posts unless it has New Posts since the last time you read it...

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
A thread won't show up on your list of New Posts unless it has New Posts since the last time you read it...

It's linked to your login too.

So, if I read a thread that appears in the "new posts" list on my phone, then immediately open the "new posts" list on my computer (or any other device I'm logged in with) that thread won't appear.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's linked to your login too.

So, if I read a thread that appears in the "new posts" list on my phone, then immediately open the "new posts" list on my computer (or any other device I'm logged in with) that thread won't appear.

Hey, sure, we're cool here and all that, but even I don't have MT open on more than one device at a time...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought the same thing a while back. Click on “active topics” and they all appear. If you don’t, it’ll only show threads that have posts you haven’t read yet.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have this same issue. Most times I am on my phone, so I am not sure if it happens on a PC or not. I just refresh the page with the active topics button and the ninja threads show up.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Active topics" is like recent posts - threads appear on the list in the order of last update (i.e. being posted in) newest at the top.

"New posts" is the same, but any threads you've viewed since last update are stripped from the list. Think of it as "unread threads".

These names for the lists are down to how the forum was configured - active topics could be called Brian and new posts could be called Veronica for all the software cares.

This is server side and linked to your account (at least in terms of what you've read), it's not cookie based so it's device/operating system independent.

It can't be classified as a "technical issue", because it's how the forum software is specifically designed to operate - it could be called a "user issue" if you're unaware of (or don't like) this behaviour ;)

The only exception to this is possibly something like Tapatalk, but I have no idea how that works at all :D

Latest Discussions