Why are guys who are very popular with people their age

Tiberius

Green Belt
Reaction score
very unpopular with adults and older people and the other way around? Its something I noticed, I get along very well with people in my age group, but with older people not so much.

The guys my age on the other hand who seem to get along very well with older adults dont seem to be so popular with the girls.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You need to overcome this. You would be surprized what you can learn from older folks. I can get along with almost anyone of any age except liars, braggards, drunks, drug users and those that blame society for their failures.

As far as the ladies are concerned I get along with them all once they learn I am not trying to get into their pants. As a result I have had some stunning training partners.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
very unpopular with adults and older people and the other way around? Its something I noticed, I get along very well with people in my age group, but with older people not so much.

The guys my age on the other hand who seem to get along very well with older adults dont seem to be so popular with the girls.
I wonder if this is an attitude thing. Personally, I didn't have or see this as a problem when I was younger and I haven't seen it as a problem with my children.
I have seen it portayed in some films though. What I can imagine is a young smartarse playing up to impress his mates, or the girls, in such a way as to become objectionable to others, including older folk. Might be time to step back and see what you could be doing to cause offence. :asian:

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

Got opposite problem. Older people really like me. People my own age though = meh.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's possible that the older people are able to see through the facade projected by this type of person, while people their own age (with less life experience) buy into it.

As a possible example (general, not directed at you specifically since I don't know you!), your peers may look at you and see someone with self-confidence, while those with a different perspective may see cockiness. Or your friends see a tough guy, while older people perceive the same talk and actions as being a poser.

Try to find out what parts of your personality/attitude or demeanor older people find objectionable, and then really look into them; while it's possible they may be misjudging you, they may also have more insight into you than is comfortable, and if you look objectively, you may find a path towards growth as an individual.

Seeing how you are viewed by others is not always a pleasant experience, but can certainly be eye-opening. The next step, of course, is deciding whether or not you want to change that perception.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My experience has shown me that:

No matter how cool and popular a person is at 20, when they hit 40, they will find the current batch of cool 20 year-olds laugh at them.

Popularity is transitory, Being likeable, having good character and the ability to get along with (almost) anyone, is enduring.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I'm guessing calling people "older people" doesn't help much :D

But the question...

Why are guys who are very popular with people their age very unpopular with adults and older people and the other way around?

The other way around meaning...:confused:

Based on the first part I can define "the other way around" in at least 2 different ways

But, frankly, speaking as an Adult aka "Older People" :rolleyes: I don't much like anyone, and I'm ok with that, so I really don't know what to tell you

Latest Discussions