Why a person trained in Chinese Herbal is necessary.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was sent to the local Chinese market by my wife to get 2 bottles of a specific herbal. It is, in my limited American view, an herbal cough medicine and it is good at getting rid of dampness in the body.

I was given the name in Chinese and off I went. I got 2 bottles. The boxes were almost identical to me except for a slight difference in one line of Chinese characters on the front.

I got home and gave them to my wife. She looked at them and the first thing she said was they are made by different companies. I asked if they were the same and she said they appear to be. She then looked at the back and read the ingredients and said, “This one is fake”. When she went back to the market they were not even aware of the difference. They go to China town in NYC and buy what they need from a list. She pursued it no further.

If she did not know what was suppose to be in it she would never known if it was fake or not, even if you can read Chinese, if you do not know the ingredients you can be tricked.

This is more common in Chinese herbal than most are aware of, even in China. SO this is why it is imperative to get someone trained in using and making Chinese herbal.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wow!
but even if you do, how often do you actually check the ingredients?
good to know that this could happen. thanks for the heads-up

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I was sent to the local Chinese market by my wife to get 2 bottles of a specific herbal. It is, in my limited American view, an herbal cough medicine and it is good at getting rid of dampness in the body.

I was given the name in Chinese and off I went. I got 2 bottles. The boxes were almost identical to me except for a slight difference in one line of Chinese characters on the front.

I got home and gave them to my wife. She looked at them and the first thing she said was they are made by different companies. I asked if they were the same and she said they appear to be. She then looked at the back and read the ingredients and said, “This one is fake”. When she went back to the market they were not even aware of the difference. They go to China town in NYC and buy what they need from a list. She pursued it no further.

If she did not know what was suppose to be in it she would never known if it was fake or not, even if you can read Chinese, if you do not know the ingredients you can be tricked.

This is more common in Chinese herbal than most are aware of, even in China. SO this is why it is imperative to get someone trained in using and making Chinese herbal.

Which is why I get all my TCM herbs from Sun Ten / Brion, and maintain a phone-call-away relationship with the president of the company Chau, his brother Daniel, and their main advisor Qing Fu Hu. Find a valueable source, and hang on to it like a pitbull on a bone, baby.

Regards,

Dave

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:

Good point.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Which is why I get all my TCM herbs from Sun Ten / Brion, and maintain a phone-call-away relationship with the president of the company Chau, his brother Daniel, and their main advisor Qing Fu Hu. Find a valueable source, and hang on to it like a pitbull on a bone, baby.

Regards,

Dave

She generally gets herbal medications from one specific company that you need to be a licensed acupuncturist to get anything from, but in all honesty someone that is trained in just acupunture is generally not trained in herbal.

However there are certain things you cannot get there, the herbal I am talking about example.