Who's the guy kicking in this video?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;uomrUJpKqL0]http://youtu.be/uomrUJpKqL0?t=5m36s[/video]

At about 5:33 onwards.

I've seen him in a few videos and he has REALLY quick powerful kicks. I'm assuming he's a well known elite fighter in the USA, but maybe I'm wrong and he's just a talented club player...

Last edited:
OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is USA Olympic hopeful Terrence Jennings. See his bio here. http://usa-taekwondo.us/athletes/terrence-jennings
His is out of RST on the east coast. Really good school.

I've been reading a lot about him recently but don't know his face well enough to identify him. Shame he's in the same division as a UK player at the Olympics or I'd be cheering him on! Of course it would be remotely cheering him on, as I'm only going on the 8th and 10th of August, not the 9th (when the[FONT='Lucida Sans', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT]-68kg mens is on).

Thanks mate :)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is USA Olympic hopeful Terrence Jennings. See his bio here. http://usa-taekwondo.us/athletes/terrence-jennings
His is out of RST on the east coast. Really good school.

TJ is from virginia (close to DC) and trains under Patrice Remark. Im sure thats what the bio says, but i didnt click it. I have watched him fight for years and I met him at Master Remark's school for the level 1 seminar back in 04-05ish... . SO GLAD to see him make the team and not Mark.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;uomrUJpKqL0]http://youtu.be/uomrUJpKqL0?t=5m36s[/video]

At about 5:33 onwards.

I've seen him in a few videos and he has REALLY quick powerful kicks. I'm assuming he's a well known elite fighter in the USA, but maybe I'm wrong and he's just a talented club player...

Andy, you probably heard this NPR interview of Terrence Jennings (the guy in the video) already.
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/24/151217511/olympians-arc-from-ninja-turtles-to-london

It's really interesting and makes one think twice about those "Little Ninja" classes in small storefront dojangs that so many of us like to laugh about and call belt mills. Terrence began training in one such dojang ran by Patrice Remarck, one of the best taekwondoin around and a teacher who has produced quite a number of elite level competitors.

In all, four taekwondoin that Master Remarck has worked with are going to the London Olympics. The other three are your compatriot Aaron Cook, who trained with Remarck, last year; Benita Diedhiou of Senegal, and Daba Modibo Keita of Mali, one of my favorites.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy, you probably heard this NPR interview of Terrence Jennings (the guy in the video) already.
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/24/151217511/olympians-arc-from-ninja-turtles-to-london

I had actually read about it, but hadn't heard it (for some reason I was looking for video every time I looked and couldn't see any video player). I listened to it earlier, very cool.

It's really interesting and makes one think twice about those "Little Ninja" classes in small storefront dojangs that so many of us like to laugh about and call belt mills. Terrence began training in one such dojang ran by Patrice Remarck, one of the best taekwondoin around and a teacher who has produced quite a number of elite level competitors.

I think that's the key point - it depends on the coach/instructor whether it's a belt mill/mcdojang or a legit starting point for martial artists. I recently started a class for 4-6 year olds and am certainly thinking more towards them being martial artists when they're older than trying to get their black belt by the time they leave the 4-6 class (hell, I'm not even giving them regular Taekwondo belts until they're in the normal 7-12 class).

In all, four taekwondoin that Master Remarck has worked with are going to the London Olympics. The other three are your compatriot Aaron Cook, who trained with Remarck, last year; Benita Diedhiou of Senegal, and Daba Modibo Keita of Mali, one of my favorites.

I'm aware of the guy (Patrice) and he's obviously a very successful coach. Can't wait to see Aaron fight in the Euros next weekend and then in the Olympics in a few months! My tickets arrived for the Euros today so I'm VERY excited!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Patrice Remark is a tremendous coach. He has worked with my daughter on the AAU National team. He is doing great things with A. Cook....TJ I have met a few tines but don't know him well is training with Juan Moreno...he gave Servet Tazgul all he could handle at worlds!!!

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
FYI, the school was swarming with media crews tonight and they were interviewing Terrence and Master Patrice, so I'm guessing there will be more coverage on him in the near future. I'll keep my eyes peeled and will post the relevant threads as they pop up for anyone that might be interested.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the kids that come out of RST. All good competitors and they give us great competitions at national events. TJ could have beat Servet at Worlds until what I still call a low back kick to the groin area. The kick started low and swiped up. Remember they were not using E-Hogus at that time. TJ got counted out because he could not recover in time. He was livid about the low blow. But it happens.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the kids that come out of RST. All good competitors and they give us great competitions at national events. TJ could have beat Servet at Worlds until what I still call a low back kick to the groin area. The kick started low and swiped up. Remember they were not using E-Hogus at that time. TJ got counted out because he could not recover in time. He was livid about the low blow. But it happens.

yeah, i remember that one too. I was dissapointed for him. But things happen in a match and end up how they end up. As long as its not deliberate, I can accept it. And I didnt think it was deliberate of the ref. i just dont think he saw it hit low. honest mistake, costly for TJ but honest.

Latest Discussions