Who would you go to for...

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's choice as to who they would go to in order to improve upon various aspects of their training.

Being that SGM Parker is no longer with us, I feel that one can get "pieces of Parker" from those who studied with him.

I'm sure everyone's list will vary based on personal experience, opinion, and perception.

Please keep in mind this in not intended as a competition, but an opportunity to shed light on some possible resources to help you improve as a kenpoist as you may find you want to attend a seminar or two based on what is posted or maybe seek out those listed for books, DVD's, etc...

Here are some of my thoughts off the top of my head:

If I wanted to an in-depth study of techniques I would go to Larry Tatum

If I wanted to improve upon my forms I would seek out Huk Planas.

If I wanted to ensure I had sound basics I would go to Chuck Sullivan.

If I wanted to study the pure science of the art I would call upon Doc Chapel.

If I wanted to work on improving the applications of speed and power I would hook up with Paul Mills.

If I wanted to hone my pure fighting skills, it would be Steve Sanders Muhammed.

If I were looking to improve my "boxing" skills, definately Frank Trejo.

If I were to dig deeper into the applications of kenpo as they relate to the rise in popularity of MMA I would ask Jeff Speakman.

...just a few mind you. LOL

Who would you go to?

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know enough yet to comment intelligently, but I like this thread topic. I look forward to reading the responses. Good idea, Crip.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting list.

At this point, now that I am with Mr. Mills group, I really don't think anyone can teach any of the things you listed better than Mills. It's hard to convey his insight and skill on a forum or a video, it is also hard to train with him and not become a devoted fan!

Having said that, I would enjoy working with Steve Sanders Muhammed and Frank Trejo, because like Mills, they are scrappers... real fighters and that is always invaluable.

Also, I would like to check out more of Chapel's ideas, he has some interesting ones that I think require a "show me" approach to understand, and I would be interest in seeing more of what he is doing.

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Definitely Doc Chapel. Lotsa things he says resonate with me.

Also Dave Crouch and Larry Tatum.

Going off track here, but outside of Kenpo, I'd train combatives with Jim Grover / Kelly Mccaan and Hock Hochheim.

Application and real-world survivability are my key priorities.

Just my 2 cents...:)

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I'd definitely train with Doc.
Until he kicked me out for asking too many dumb@$$ questions, that is.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitely Doc Chapel. Lotsa things he says resonate with me.

Also Dave Crouch and Larry Tatum.

Going off track here, but outside of Kenpo, I'd train combatives with Jim Grover / Kelly Mccaan and Hock Hochheim.

Application and real-world survivability are my key priorities.

Just my 2 cents...:)

Thank you sir, and while I understand, why would you want to study with Crouch? As my student, I can testify he's crazy.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting list.

At this point, now that I am with Mr. Mills group, I really don't think anyone can teach any of the things you listed better than Mills. It's hard to convey his insight and skill on a forum or a video, it is also hard to train with him and not become a devoted fan!

Having said that, I would enjoy working with Steve Sanders Muhammed and Frank Trejo, because like Mills, they are scrappers... real fighters and that is always invaluable.

Also, I would like to check out more of Chapel's ideas, he has some interesting ones that I think require a "show me" approach to understand, and I would be interest in seeing more of what he is doing.

Yes sir, we have a strong reality base perspective because the majority of my students are public law enforcement, and "hands on," so to speak is the only way to get the message. Thank you sir.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's choice as to who they would go to in order to improve upon various aspects of their training.

Being that SGM Parker is no longer with us, I feel that one can get "pieces of Parker" from those who studied with him.

I'm sure everyone's list will vary based on personal experience, opinion, and perception.

Please keep in mind this in not intended as a competition, but an opportunity to shed light on some possible resources to help you improve as a kenpoist as you may find you want to attend a seminar or two based on what is posted or maybe seek out those listed for books, DVD's, etc...

Here are some of my thoughts off the top of my head:

If I wanted to an in-depth study of techniques I would go to Larry Tatum

If I wanted to improve upon my forms I would seek out Huk Planas.

If I wanted to ensure I had sound basics I would go to Chuck Sullivan.

If I wanted to study the pure science of the art I would call upon Doc Chapel.

If I wanted to work on improving the applications of speed and power I would hook up with Paul Mills.

If I wanted to hone my pure fighting skills, it would be Steve Sanders Muhammed.

If I were looking to improve my "boxing" skills, definately Frank Trejo.

If I were to dig deeper into the applications of kenpo as they relate to the rise in popularity of MMA I would ask Jeff Speakman.

...just a few mind you. LOL

Who would you go to?
Thank you sir, but my real comment is about your avatar. First the hat just cracks me up, and then the statement about your sexual proclivities is a real hoot.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would I see?

1) Doc. Doc has really dug into Kenpo. Reading his posts...well, 9 times out of 10, I find myself reading and re-reading, in hopes to absorb some knowledge, because God knows, thats what they're filled with...knowledge. :) I think it would be a humbling experience to lay hands with the man, as I'm sure my Kenpo would get supercharged. I hope, one day, to make it out to Ca., to meet and train with Doc.

2) Paul Mills. Heard alot of wonderful things about the man. Never met him, only viewed his stuff via clips. I'd love to spend time with him, to get a better understanding of his Kenpo. He's made some obvious changes, ones that I think are pretty interesting.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was so overwhelmed with the knowledge base that Lee Wedlake possessed when I did a seminar with him, not to mention his easy going attitude (and his speed), that I would start there, and figure it out as I went.

The bit I have read here from Doc has impressed me, and anyone who takes the time to give individual thanks impresses me as well. If I thought my decrepit body were up to it, I would love to train with him as well.

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob White is a personal student of Ed Parker he seems to be pretty good but i havent seen many of the techniques that Kenpo is so famous for. Ive definatly seen the techniques Kenpo is famous for from Frank Trejo and Larry Tatum

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was so overwhelmed with the knowledge base that Lee Wedlake possessed when I did a seminar with him, not to mention his easy going attitude (and his speed), that I would start there, and figure it out as I went.

The bit I have read here from Doc has impressed me, and anyone who takes the time to give individual thanks impresses me as well. If I thought my decrepit body were up to it, I would love to train with him as well.

If you brought that body out to study with me, you'd be at home. My youngest student is 33, and the oldest 70, and he and I are the oldest in the group.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I'd definitely train with Doc.
Until he kicked me out for asking too many dumb@$$ questions, that is.

Mr. Parker had a joke he would use when somebody would say to him, "May I ask you a dumb question?" Mr. Parker, with a serious look on his face would put his hand on the guys shoulder and say, "There's no such thing as a dumb question." Then as soon as the guy felt comfortable and relieved, Mr. Parker would quickly add, "There's only the dumb dude that asks it." with a big grin on his face.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob White is a personal student of Ed Parker he seems to be pretty good but i havent seen many of the techniques that Kenpo is so famous for. Ive definatly seen the techniques Kenpo is famous for from Frank Trejo and Larry Tatum
I wouldn't judge anyone based on a technique that most choose to perform. Instead look at the quality of work, and the character of the man as an individual. If you find any better than Bob, he's walking on water somewhere.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm fine learning all the stuff from my teacher. I haven't had the desire to go learn forms from "Huk" or whatever; because, I am in no danger of being better than my own teacher anyime soon.:ultracool
Sean

Latest Discussions