Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

rmcrobertson

Good to know that you're completely unprejudiced and completely open-minded.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Never said I was perfect. I do listen to the reasoning of others. Can you say I do otherwise?? No, you don't know me, never tried. I'm quite openminded...or at least I try to be, but that's not the point. (nice side track from our side track there)

I said something that didn't involve or imply Clyde, he took issue with it. I disagreed with him. You took issue with me with on my disagreement...I continued to reply.
It's silly, on both sides of the isle.

Listen, the mods have requested nicely that we keep on the subject. I know from experience that I'm not going to change your mind and vice versa...right Robert? So hows about lets follow their advice.
I've said what I wanted to say.
If you still have a horse in this race, by all means...keep going.

Your Brother
John

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:

Yes, it would be nice, if everyone was unprejudiced and completely open-minded, but alas it is not so.

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
howardr said:
Somebody else: Dr. Chapel

I'm not entirely sure that my response to this poll is accurate because Dr. Chapel doesn't expend a lot of energy spreading his approach. I guess my vote would be more along the lines of, "Who should or who would you like to see impact EPAK in the next 10 years?"
Yep Dr Chapel gets my vote - the reasons you listed were spot on and have my full endorsement - as for "spreading his approach" this is something that I believe is now beginning to happen - as I am posting this Dr Chapel is in Ireland giving Seminars and will then be back to the UK for more - I have attended his Seminars and have seen the impact he has on students and Instructors alike - if you can get to one you won't be disappointed - and yes I love his sense of humour :)

R

rmcrobertson

For lo, "Not all that create change and bring about innovation do so because of a lack of understanding. Some do so due to a surplus of it." Sheesh, Tolkien much?

Hey, here's my horse--as a teacher of writing, I understand what it means when folks get all fuzzy in language, and appeal to vague sentiments and Big Ideas.

Still waiting, weeks later, for the simple explanation of what's more advanced....you know, as in the opposite of, "I can speaketh not unto the spirits, this fateful eve...thy doubt has disturb-ed the astral plane, and mine Spirit Guide availeth thee naught at this critical juncture of synchronicity."

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tolkien much?
Sorry Robert, your sarcasm is lost on me. Where's the Tolkien reference? Was it because I used the words "Not all who...", and you're whipping out your Lit professor phalus for all to see by corresponding this to Gandalf's speech on those who deserve either life or death?? How very.... like you...to take something from what someone wrote, ignore any of the content and attempt to belittle it or ignore it's intended message by trying to make it seem like a trivial mock "Tolkien" phrase or some such.
Sheesh indeed.

I guess I can at least thank the evenstar that you aren't highlighting my poor spelling. It tends to be pretty bad you know. (but I don't care. Grade me down teach)
"Do not meddle in the afairs of those impressed with their own academic-biceps, for they are trifling and quick to anger."
Quick Rob....where's that from?
((By the way Rob, if you continue to KEEP reminding us all that you are an "English Professor" and all about your academic credentials... it really gets to seem like you are either trying to impress us...and it doesn't...or you are trying to convince yourself.
Hows that going by the way? Interesting approach, yours. Most men your age try this life diversion with a mistress and a fast red sports-car.))

My reply before this has been there for some time now, did'ja get bored? Wanted to drum up an old fight?
Hey, here's my horse--as a teacher of writing, I understand what it means when folks get all fuzzy in language, and appeal to vague sentiments and Big Ideas.
YOU? A teacher of writing? Why...I didn't know that.
Didja hear that folks?? Little Bobby's all grow'd up now and he's teach'n writing.
Good for you!
Yes. Obviously you know all about fuzzy language and appealing to vague sentiments and big ideas. Thing is, you bandy this particular familiarity of yours out there, insinuating that that's exactly what those with whom you disagree are doing. Yet you're seldom real specific, are you??
hmm
Tell me Rob...did I ever say I was doing anything but stating my own opinion, thoughts and feelings on anything? Did I say that I was telling something that was quantifiable? OBVIOUSLY this statement:
Not all that create change and bring about innovation do so because of a lack of understanding. Some do so due to a surplus of it.
Is my own opinion. So what? Now you jump up with the astounding revelation that you disagree with me? SHOCKER!!! I didn't see that one coming!
Next thing you know Clyde's gonna disagree with me too. Then where will I be?

Still waiting, weeks later, for the simple explanation of what's more advanced
Well Rob, you've asked such questions before on this forum and others, people more informed and well spoken (ok....written) than I have given you very good answers (I've read most of them); and you've rejected each....a rejection based (I pose) entirely on your own bias and little more.
Oh well. :idunno:
Thing is, you won't accept my explanation any more than you'd accept theirs.
BUT: Here's the good news. I don't give a Shim-shimeny!! I've got a list of people who's opinions, critiques and 'sentiments' matter an ounce to me.... a very short list. You sir aren't even close to being on it.

So you can just go on waiting, and waiting. Because in truth, you aren't waiting to hear an honest answer. No, that's been given. You, I think, are waiting to hear one of two things: either something to coincide with your own existing biases or something to cause you're next disagreement.... so you can again show us your righteous disdain for the intellectually inferior. (Star-Trek reference if you are interested, Khan) In dealing with you, Robert, I suggest that people who see things differently keep Luis Armstrong's quote in mind:
> "There are some people, if they don't know, you can't tell 'em."

what's more advanced....you know, as in the opposite of, "I can speaketh not unto the spirits, this fateful eve...thy doubt has disturb-ed the astral plane, and mine Spirit Guide availeth thee naught at this critical juncture of synchronicity."
All hail Robert and his intellectual....
you know....
thingie.

Your Brother
John

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
For lo, "Not all that create change and bring about innovation do so because of a lack of understanding. Some do so due to a surplus of it." Sheesh, Tolkien much?

Still waiting, weeks later, for the simple explanation of what's more advanced....you know, as in the opposite of, "I can speaketh not unto the spirits, this fateful eve...thy doubt has disturb-ed the astral plane, and mine Spirit Guide availeth thee naught at this critical juncture of synchronicity."

HAHAHA! Robert it is good to see that after weeks you are waiting to hear what we are doing. If you were really interested you would physically seek information in person.

Your resistence to change is interesting given the fact that you study a system that was totally changed by its founder. But...around and around we could go.....I do not think we will never agree philosophically about Kenpo so lets talk about something more practical.

I did watch the video of you on Jason Bugg's web sight. It is good to finally put a face to your words and to see your level of movement. Specifically it is interesting that you changed many of the techniques trying to be innovative with your presentation.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks this is to all posting in this thread

Moderator Note
Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy. http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314 Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile).

Thank you.

Sheldon Bedell
-MT Moderator-

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
Damn, the entertainment ended! :) Oh well, there are other sites where I can read peoples arguments. I must say though, we all get caught up in it at some point or another. I know I have.

Seriously, I like the professionalism of the posts on MartialTalk. Sheldon keeps the site focused and cordial. Much appreciated.

R

rmcrobertson

On a thread about teachers and their influences, the mean-spirited remarks about, "little Bobby," and the rest--well, they sure go a long way to explain what sort of influence one has chosen to be.

Thanks, I guess, for the note of how I looked on camera. Personally, I hate doing that stuff--I thought Cliff and Angie looked way better, but you know, I wasn't bad.

I was a bit rude; my mistake, and my apologies. But I get tired of the pomposity. And a couple of you guys owe profuse apologies in return, though you do not know it; however rude I was, it didn't begin to approach that nonsense.

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Thanks, I guess, for the note of how I looked on camera. Personally, I hate doing that stuff--I thought Cliff and Angie looked way better, but you know, I wasn't bad.

QUOTE]

First Robert you are to be congratulated for changing the techniques and using some creativity in your presentation. I didn't think you had it in you. LOL! I purposely did not say anything positive or negative about you on video for a reason. I do not think you or the moderators would want this thread to go in that direction. Besides what do you care what I and others think as long as you and your instructor are happy.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Robert
I was a bit rude in response, I shouldn't have gone that far. I guess Mr. Parker was right, attitude breeds attitude. My apologies for going too far, especially getting personal. That was out of line.
Not all things that are thought or felt should be expressed.

As for what kind of influence I have chosen to be:
as you've adequately pointed out before, the internet is a pseudo-social environment and our interactions here have little bearing on how we conduct ourselves "in REAL life". When I'm dealing with people face to face I don't react so much from the gut, though I remain aware of gut reactions. Likewise I'd doubt that in person, while discussing things with people, you correct spelling and grammar or try to make the statements of others seem irrelevent because a few chosen words resemble a popular line from literature. In person I'm sure I'd just ignore and avoid you if you made me upset... here, it's as though we were having a debate before MANY people..and when I feel slighted or sneered at, repeatedly, it builds up...so I respond in kind. You percieve me as being pompus, and I do You. Who's right?
probably both.

oh well.
Fastmover was right, it was interesting to see you move in that video clip.
Takes guts to show your kenpo on video on the internet.
Lots of guts.

Your Brother
John

R

rmcrobertson

Leaving other matters aside, I didn't change the techniques...I wasn't doing the techniques, nor is that the point.

The techniques are a scaffolding, an ideal framework that can be (doesn't have to be, but can be) gotten rid of, in the end...but the point isn't to change the techniques, or to, "evolve," them--the point is to change youself, to evolve personally.

If you think that I've argued that the techniques are unchangeable, you don't understand what I've been writing. What I've been writing is that the techniques (and the sets, and the forms, and the basics), ought to be left alone until one understands them, and has internalized 'em pretty well.

Then by all means develop...that's the whole point of, "sophisticated basics," and similar concepts in kenpo.

But to change techniques, etc.--and I'm writing, "etc.," because from what I've seen on the Internet and elsewhere, it isn't just the techniques that get changed and thrown out--without much better reasons than quick technical fixes is, I think, a mistake. There are other things than technique engraved into a good martial arts system, and fiddling with the surface stuff fiddles with the deeper stuff.

Anyway, though--to correct a polite misunderstanding--no guts involved. The tape of the 2000, "Heart of the Art," was put up there without my knowledge or permission, which I wouldn't have given, wotthell.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Paul Mills is fantastic and his "To Feel is To Believe" Moto is one I live by. But my vote would have to go to Kyoshi Robert Austin of Co. His IBBA schools have offered some of the finest Parker Kenpo I have ever seen. I had the honor of training with one of his members Sensei Robert koch of Alden NY. and have the honor of knowing Kyoshi Austin personally and have trained with him.
Ed Parker may have moved on but the fine art he gave us will live forever.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
no guts involved. The tape of the 2000, "Heart of the Art," was put up there without my knowledge or permission, which I wouldn't have given, wotthell.
Since it was taped at a public exhibition it is 'legal' for one to post/display it though, right?? Not really sure how that works. Does one need your approval to show it?

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
my vote would have to go to Kyoshi Robert Austin of Co.

Mr. Calkins
I'm not familiar with the term/rank/title "Kyoshi" in respect to 'American' Kenpo.That's a Japanese title isn't it?? Are you certain you aren't refering to "Shorinji Kempo"?
Just wondering.

Your Brother
John

R

rmcrobertson

It's possible that, public exhibition or not, my permission was still legally necessary. However, my point was really that another poster had said that my putting the image out there, "took guts," and I simply meant to point out that my guts were not involved in the posting of a four-or-five-year-old tape without my knowledge.

As far as influences go, however, I still stick behind the basic idea of sticking with the kenpo system rather than fussing over who is or is not a kenpo god. In fact--and I believe I noted this early on in this thread--I tend to reject the entire premise of this thread.

But I always find transference an interesting phenomenon; I guess we all need an alibi for what we're doing ourselves as a part of collective action.

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Leaving other matters aside, I didn't change the techniques...I wasn't doing the techniques, nor is that the point.

The techniques are a scaffolding, an ideal framework that can be (doesn't have to be, but can be) gotten rid of, in the end...but the point isn't to change the techniques, or to, "evolve," them--the point is to change youself, to evolve personally.

If you think that I've argued that the techniques are unchangeable, you don't understand what I've been writing. What I've been writing is that the techniques (and the sets, and the forms, and the basics), ought to be left alone until one understands them, and has internalized 'em pretty well.

Then by all means develop...that's the whole point of, "sophisticated basics," and similar concepts in kenpo.

But to change techniques, etc.--and I'm writing, "etc.," because from what I've seen on the Internet and elsewhere, it isn't just the techniques that get changed and thrown out--without much better reasons than quick technical fixes is, I think, a mistake. There are other things than technique engraved into a good martial arts system, and fiddling with the surface stuff fiddles with the deeper stuff.

Anyway, though--to correct a polite misunderstanding--no guts involved. The tape of the 2000, "Heart of the Art," was put up there without my knowledge or permission, which I wouldn't have given, wotthell.

In my opinion the purpose of a system is to establish a base that develops a vocabulary of motion that economically allows one to engrain the principles of Kenpo both mentally and physically. With that said I believe there are different ways to accomplish this. Some obviously are better and some worse. In the end the individual is the one that makes the system ;however, structure does govern ones function in movement.

Robert in your case after watching the video it is my belief that you are defying many of the principles of Kenpo taught by Mr. Parker. As I noted earlier I will reframe from sequentially listing the reasons why. But since we are discussing the developement of different systems structure, one has to wonder if there would be a better way for you to internalize proper boby mechanics throughout your vocabulary of motion. The fruits of your labor is not what I was expecting for someone of your experience.

Moving on.....as to your video being shown on the internet...personally I had been looking forward to seeing you move because I was expecting a lot after reading many of your postings on the forums. An advanced ranking black belt should not hesitate in demonstrating their abilities in front of others. It makes them accountable and keeps them from being a salesman of motion. Given that you routinely volunteer your words on the interent, I wonder why you would not give permission to show a video highlighting your physical abilities on the internet....unless you are a salesman of motion yourself?

Take Care

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is this video posted that everyone is talking about??

Mike