MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which of our posters actualy studied under Ed Parker and for how long

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frank Trejo and Doc Chapel are both users and both trained with Mr Parker.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

I posted something on this topic on another site recently. The ambiguity of "studied" is cleaned up a little with the modifier "how long", but even that leaves room for "creative interpretation".

After Mr. Parker left us, it became envogue to be able to say "student of Ed Parker." Any ways the truth could be convoluted to allow this phrase to enter ones marketing blurb got explored...advertising lingo is curious, and ambiguity allows room for claims, without claims.

"In a recent study, no over-the-counter pain reliever was found to be more effective at relieving pain than Tylenol". That's true: They were all equally effective...reduced subjective complaints of discomfort by matching percentages, wether Tylenol, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, aspirin, whatever. A claim that's true, but sounds grander than it is.

"Studied under Ed Parker over the course of 15 years" can be true if one were a direct student of his, 3 times a week for 12 hours a day for fifteen years, or merely attended a seminar once a year for fifteen years. "Nth-degree black belt certificate signed by Ed Parker"...well, as the President of the IKKA, he signed a lot of them.

Lots of guys went this route. And "those guys" are often known for who and what they are. Then there was the opposites backlash. Some guys who had some middlin time with him downplay it, so as not to be construed as one of "those guys". It'll be fun to see who stands up for what.

D.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was you Rich? :) There was this young handsome guy that was always over at Parker's house, but I had no idea ....

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I did two seminars with Mr. Parker, if that counts for anything. Oddly enough, he did NOT award me a 9th or 10th degree. Who should I take this up with now? :uhyeah:

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
That was you Rich? :) There was this young handsome guy that was always over at Parker's house, but I had no idea ....

Young . . . yes, but handsome? . . . Gee I'm sorry Doc, I had no idea your eyesight was failing so long ago. But if it wasn’t for failing eyesight I may have never gotten Kathie to marry me, so I guess it can be a good thing.

Now on a serious note, Dave has a point in that as President of the IKKA Mr. Parker's signature is on the left side of every certificate. You could ask how many people have a certificate with Mr. Parker's signature on the right side - above the instructor’s line, but Mr. Parker, on occasion, took it upon himself to promote those he thought worthy of a promotion even if they had never shared any mat time with him.

I’m afraid this question will never be adequately answered in a forum.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Young . . . yes, but handsome? . . . Gee I'm sorry Doc, I had no idea your eyesight was failing so long ago. But if it wasn’t for failing eyesight I may have never gotten Kathie to marry me, so I guess it can be a good thing.

Now on a serious note, Dave has a point in that as President of the IKKA Mr. Parker's signature is on the left side of every certificate. You could ask how many people have a certificate with Mr. Parker's signature on the right side - above the instructor’s line, but Mr. Parker, on occasion, took it upon himself to promote those he thought worthy of a promotion even if they had never shared any mat time with him.

I’m afraid this question will never be adequately answered in a forum.
Nor should it really be that important. Parker did what he wanted, when he wanted, with whom he wanted, for his own reasons, and answered to no one. That was his priviledge, as President, Chief Instructor, and Grandmaster of his own systems. I'm just glad he liked me.

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nor should it really be that important. Parker did what he wanted, when he wanted, with whom he wanted, for his own reasons, and answered to no one. That was his priviledge, as President, Chief Instructor, and Grandmaster of his own systems. I'm just glad he liked me.

I'm glad he like you too Ron, I'm just especially glad he like me better.
icon10.gif

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me the "how long: question is; 1963 until he passed without interruption. Frank Trejo and Larry Tatum made black at the same time around 74. Rich Hale of course was a ranked student, and so was Dennis Conatser, but it seems only Dennis, Rich, and myself post regularly (notice the word REGULARLY) here, and on KenpoTalk. I say ranked because last time I checked, EVRYBODY studied directly with Parker.

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
But I was there first!!!! IT'S NOT FAIR.

I'm sorry Doc, you're right. You were there first are indeed my senior, a fact which is proven out in some of the early Kenpo cave drawings.

But, with all due respect, if life were fair I wouldn't be married to a woman half my age who makes twice my money and you would still have hair . . . sir.

Attached photo of Dave, Doc and Rich was recently taken at Dave’s Kenpo Ohana in Santa Rosa, CA.

Attachments

• $Dave-Doc-Rich_web.jpg
    $Dave-Doc-Rich_web.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 323

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
:lfao:

I will be amazed if he lets you live after that, Rich. Although, he is among the first to refer to himself as one of the kenpo dinosaurs.

Note to self: Be careful with pictures around Rich.

Dave

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm the oldest and you will treat me with respect and act like an adult, or I'll throw a fit. So there.

Oh my god I spat pepsi through my nose on that one. And Doc - for the record - I went and found some Coke II - and it does NOT taste like Pepsi. Course it could be cause it been expired for a coupl'a years. Heh.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry Doc, you're right. You were there first are indeed my senior, a fact which is proven out in some of the early Kenpo cave drawings.

But, with all due respect, if life were fair I wouldn't be married to a woman half my age who makes twice my money and you would still have hair . . . sir.

Attached photo of Dave, Doc and Rich was recently taken at Dave’s Kenpo Ohana in Santa Rosa, CA.
Lord. Points for that one.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was hopeing there where more that had

I had about 1.5 years worth of "discussions" with him over a 2 year period (breaks for travelling to Europe for fun, and a limited residency program I was attending at the time). I had heard rumors of people coming to the house, ringing the doorbell, and asking for rank, or other such silliness, so I avoided the issue with him, and just worked on material and process models.

In dialoguing with guys like Doc, Rich, and his son, the rumors were apparently true; many would assume that the mecca trip to the house alone qualified them for a stripe or two on their belts. And there were other channels used by clout and rank seekers. So there are apparently dozens of folks out there who make dubious claims as to their association with Mr. P, time spent, rank granted, etc. A famous one has often stated that he and his small group were the very last and only to train in private/semi-private at the house. One of Mr. P's kin made the observation, "He's correct. They were the last and only people at the house...in that time slot, on that evening". I thought that was a wry observation, and very telling about how things got twisted for effect.

So, since my exposure was minimal, and focused more on researching the mechanisms behind the clock than the clock itself, I refer to my time with him as "discussions". Why? Because I don't want to be one of those guys. I went for love of the art and awe of the man and what he had accomplished (yes, I was an ogle-eyed hero worshipper). I didn't go hunting rank or clout, though I was deeply honored and downright prideful that he would have anything to do with an imp like me.

Student? Nah. Just basics and -isms. I was supposed to start in earnest re-learning the system from him from the ground up on my return from Belgium, but that was too late. For that, you have to look to the oldsters like Doc, and the soon-to-be-extinct Rich Hale.

D.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah I always wondered how you pulled that off. She's a jewel all right, but you know you can't keep her drugged forever. Besides stuff like that is against the law. Repeat after me; "These are not the droids you're looking for."

I'm not a dinosaur, I'm an ancient. Dinosaurs are extinct, and I'm still here.