Who Practices a Western Martial Art?

What Western Martial Art Do You Practice?

• Western Style Boxing

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Wrestling

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Fencing

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Archery (with Western Style Bows)

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Krav Maga

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Russian Martial Arts

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Savate

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Native American Fighting Arts

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 36 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keith Nelson

White Belt
Reaction score
Fiore dei Liberi's system from the Flos Duellatorum/Fior di battaglia manuscripts (Longsword, dagger, unarmed, spear, poleaxe)

Irish Stickplay - Much like Kirk & Ken, since it comes from Ken's interpretations...
Collar & Elbow wrestling (when I can find a willing partner)
Bareknuckle boxing (when I can find a willing partner)

Hungarian fokos

All to a lesser or greater extent depending on events in my life & if I have folks to train with...

Keith

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keith Nelson said:
Hungarian fokos
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your fokos info/training?

I know Ken has been working with this and has a contact but, in general, technical info seems pretty hard to come by.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Who on MT Practices a Western Martial Art and WHY? Western Martial Arts (WMA) include, but are NOT limited to: Western Boxing, Wrestling, Krav Maga, Systema and other RMA, Fencing, Native American Fighting Arts, Archery using Western style bows, and Savate. You may choose more than one!

I practice alittle bit of boxing (which is included in my Muay Thai training). I think that boxing( as long as you know where and how to throw a punch without injuring your hand) can compliment both striking arts very well.Care must be taken not to damage you hands or wrist though if you fight outside of the ring.Outside the ring,I think that elbows are better becuase there is less of a chance of injuring youself(but more of a chance of seriously injuring your attacker).

My school also teaches abit of wrestling.Wrestling is funny because it has a very strong point and another point that makes you very vunerable for certain types of attacks.Of course we all know that wrestling is strong in slams,on serious slam (in the ring or out) can put a fighter out of comission very quick;but wrestling has a lack of "finishing" moves.There are many techniques to get you to the ground,but not many(outside of pinning an opponet) "finishing" moves(if any). Also many wrestling moves can keep you open to Jiu-jitsu/Judo, Sambo, and other submission attacks.

When you think about, it all styles can compliment another.Imagine a fighter with the quick disbaling hands in Kempo,with the power of Muay Thai shin kicks and elbows,with the deceptivenss and spinning moves of Taekwondo,the footwork of Western style boxing,the Joint locks of Aikido,the throws of American Wrestling and the submissions of BJJ.

Heck of a fighter huh?

-good training

(..sorry I think ,I got off the subject lol)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have trained in and fought fights in American Boxing since 1995. It is a training that I will always keep up and hope to pass on to my children in addition to my other arts.

Dave Dickey

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey! It is good to see Ken and Kirk here!!! How's it going boys? I could use more info for the mag if you are up to it....email me...

As far as styles... for me combine kirk and ken's lists and add Longsword, short sword and shield and American streetfighting.....

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dave Dickey said:
Hey! It is good to see Ken and Kirk here!!! How's it going boys? I could use more info for the mag if you are up to it....email me...
Going well. Good to hear from ya.

I'll drop you an e-mail.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Keith Nelson

White Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your fokos info/training?

I know Ken has been working with this and has a contact but, in general, technical info seems pretty hard to come by.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Same place as Ken. Russ Mitchell is the one who showed me what I have in the first place and I try and keep up what he showed me. Basically just the same as Ken's info, but with a solo form that his instructor developed.

Keith

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Same place as Ken. Russ Mitchell is the one who showed me what I have in the first place and I try and keep up what he showed me. Basically just the same as Ken's info, but with a solo form that his instructor developed.

Keith
Someone needs to force Russ to write a book or make a video or something.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score

Hi Dave,

Nice to see you posting here. I have a few article ideas floating around in my head....I'll see if I can get any of them a bit more concrete.

Cead Bua

White Belt
Reaction score
Trained by father in:
Rince an Bhata Uisce Bheatha (Irish Stick Fighting) since 1972
Western Boxing since 1969

JoshLittle

White Belt
Reaction score
I voted "Fencing", though that's a bit broad and a bit off the mark. I am the organizer and head instructor for Ars Gladii, a group in the Detroit Metro area that focuses on the medieval German arts from the 14th and 15th century. We work with the longsword, sword and buckler, dagger, poleaxe, and wrestling.

We will (if I can get some of my guys off their butts) be adding a physical culture/pugilism night in the near future. We have one of my student's 4-year old to blame for this one. Never let those big green Incredible Hulk punching gloves near a group of sword fighters. Much pummeling will ensue and they may even get the misguided notion that they want to box in their heads :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We will (if I can get some of my guys off their butts) be adding a physical culture/pugilism night in the near future.
Hey Josh. Nice to see you on a forum that I occasionally read. :)

I was thinking about you just today. Actually, I was reviewing the video of Paul's Quarterstaff II class from the CB '05 Seminar and you and Mark managed to get on camera quite a bit. :)

What are you thinking of doing for Physical Culture? We've been kicking around an idea of doing a Physical Culture class at the '07 Seminar.

Peace favor your sword,
KIrk

JoshLittle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kirk! How's things?

Probably do some Farmer Burns stuff, some medicine ball work, and probably some Indian clubs as well. I'm going to try and find some old games as well. We'd start off with this stuff and then box for the second half. It should be fun, if I can get people to show up for it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Kirk! How's things?
Finner than frog's hair. :)
Probably do some Farmer Burns stuff, some medicine ball work, and probably some Indian clubs as well. I'm going to try and find some old games as well. We'd start off with this stuff and then box for the second half. It should be fun, if I can get people to show up for it.
Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Sandow is the resource on the web for Physical Culture. I personally did Strongfortism mixed with the Carl Gotch Bible for something like a year. It was a good general workout. Had some drawbacks but nothing too serious or that couldn't be overcome.

As for your recruitment, what seems to have been the most successful method and what's been abject failures?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JoshLittle

White Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Sandow is the resource on the web for Physical Culture. I personally did Strongfortism mixed with the Carl Gotch Bible for something like a year. It was a good general workout. Had some drawbacks but nothing too serious or that couldn't be overcome.
Sounds good. I'm looking up Sandow as we speak.. err... type...

As for your recruitment, what seems to have been the most successful method and what's been abject failures?
Nothing and everything... I have absolutely no idea on how to actually get people to show up to class. I have a hard time just getting some of my (very few) long term students to show up. Ryan has called in "Guiness" that last few weeks, the bastard...

For us, heavy web prescence has done diddly for recruitment. Our site generates about 30 hits a week, which isn't bad for a real niche site. About 1/3 to 1/2 of those hits are Michigan people. The only new person I've actually gotten through the door this year lives in Indiana and comes up to the area for his job every 4-5 weeks. I've hit places of high interest in swords and fighting, where I'm known and the calibre of my person is known, and generated 0 interest.

I'm trying to get some kind of public demonstration set up but haven't been able to find a venue for it. The last time the Detroit Institute of Arts had anything remotely close to our time period was 4 years ago when I wasn't in any kind of position to give a public demo. I'm on the "proposed class list" for the Spring/Summer scedule at one of the community colleges to teach a class on the longsword. Hopefully that will go through.

We haven't gone the route of printed flyers yet. I'm not quite sure where to actually post them.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask on recruitment :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing and everything... I have absolutely no idea on how to actually get people to show up to class.
Seems to be a common problem

For us, heavy web prescence has done diddly for recruitment. Our site generates about 30 hits a week, which isn't bad for a real niche site. About 1/3 to 1/2 of those hits are Michigan people. The only new person I've actually gotten through the door this year lives in Indiana and comes up to the area for his job every 4-5 weeks. I've hit places of high interest in swords and fighting, where I'm known and the calibre of my person is known, and generated 0 interest.
Same for me. I've got a few friends on RMA who claim that "when they're in the area" they'll stop in, but that has yet to happen.

I'm trying to get some kind of public demonstration set up but haven't been able to find a venue for it. The last time the Detroit Institute of Arts had anything remotely close to our time period was 4 years ago when I wasn't in any kind of position to give a public demo. I'm on the "proposed class list" for the Spring/Summer scedule at one of the community colleges to teach a class on the longsword. Hopefully that will go through.
Dayton recently had its Celtic Festival so we went over to a nearby public park and held our practice for the passers-by. We roped a few guys into practicing with us for a bit but there were really just interested in making a fan movie so nothing came of that.

Good luck on the college class!

We haven't gone the route of printed flyers yet. I'm not quite sure where to actually post them.
We've been having the same problem. The places we post our fliers don't seem to be actually generating a whole lot of calls. Tags get torn off but that's about it. The latest hit came from a flier I posted in a local library. I'd designed that flier with a "living history" theme and we've got a single hit off of that, but it's encouraging. Many of the other fliers there were historic or semi-academic in nature.

Show me the right person. ;-)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm looking up Sandow as we speak.. err... type...

Nothing and everything... I have absolutely no idea on how to actually get people to show up to class. I have a hard time just getting some of my (very few) long term students to show up. Ryan has called in "Guiness" that last few weeks, the bastard...

We are up in North Oakland County, and I haven't heard anything about you guys. Nice site, though. Yes, getting people in the door is always difficult. Michigan sucks right now for anything that would require expendable income also.

We should make plans to get together; I wouldn't mind seeing how you guys train. Sounds interesting. :)

Paul Janulis

JoshLittle

White Belt
Reaction score
We are up in North Oakland County, and I haven't heard anything about you guys. Nice site, though. Yes, getting people in the door is always difficult. Michigan sucks right now for anything that would require expendable income also.
See? I told you I was the wrong person to talk to about recruitment :) We're going on our 7th year of operation, in one form or another. We've been small since the beginning.

We should make plans to get together; I wouldn't mind seeing how you guys train. Sounds interesting.
Sounds like a plan. Too bad we're so far away from each other, or we could make it a more regular thing. I'm also interested in the modern side of what you guys are doing. Drop me an email at [email protected] and we can try and arrange something.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Too bad we're so far away from each other, or we could make it a more regular thing. I'm also interested in the modern side of what you guys are doing. Drop me an email at [email protected] and we can try and arrange something.

No problem, I'll drop you a line (sorry for the lag time, just got back from a long weekend out of town again).

:)

Latest Discussions