Who Made Form Four?

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone knew who was the one who actually came up with form four. Was it just Ed Parker or was it Ed Parker and some other guys?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone knew who was the one who actually came up with form four. Was it just Ed Parker or was it Ed Parker and some other guys?

Mr. Parker would assign projects to people, pick and choose the ideas he liked and in most cases put the final polish on an idea. If you're looking for names, forget it. There is only one - Edmund K. Parker. Mr. Parker didn't sit in a dark room and come up with all of that stuff by himself. He had help. Some good, some bad. Several "ancients" contributed to various elements of all of his commercial system.

tai scorpio

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Parker would assign projects to people, pick and choose the ideas he liked and in most cases put the final polish on an idea. If you're looking for names, forget it. There is only one - Edmund K. Parker. Mr. Parker didn't sit in a dark room and come up with all of that stuff by himself. He had help. Some good, some bad. Several "ancients" contributed to various elements of all of his commercial system.
hi there my name is bernard (scorpio) strickland and i live and teach in birmingham,alabama. i teach the art of (american tai-kenpo) it,s a mixture od (ed parker american kenpo) and (david german tai-karate or tai-kenpo) a couple years ago when g.m. german was alive he had told me that made up form 4. i hope that help you. sincerly bernard (scorpio) strickland (assoc.prof.) 5 degree black belt

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
hi there my name is bernard (scorpio) strickland and i live and teach in birmingham,alabama. i teach the art of (american tai-kenpo) it,s a mixture od (ed parker american kenpo) and (david german tai-karate or tai-kenpo) a couple years ago when g.m. german was alive he had told me that made up form 4. i hope that help you. sincerly bernard (scorpio) strickland (assoc.prof.) 5 degree black belt

I've heard that story before. As I recall, Dave had left Mr. Parker long before Form Four was created.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No offense Doc,
BUT

Either Senior Grand Master Parker created it alone, someone else created it alone, or someone worked WITH SGM Parker to create it.

Why clog it up with excess verbiage, which like excess motion serves no purpose? No possible answer takes anything away from either the form or from SGM parker's memory, so if you know who contributed to it, just name them.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offense Doc,
BUT

Either Senior Grand Master Parker created it alone, someone else created it alone, or someone worked WITH SGM Parker to create it.

Why clog it up with excess verbiage, which like excess motion serves no purpose? No possible answer takes anything away from either the form or from SGM parker's memory, so if you know who contributed to it, just name them.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
No offense Doc,
BUT

Perhaps another way to think of it is like an employee working for a corporation. If McDonald's, Mattel, or Lucusarts assigns you a project and you do it, then we don't really think of the result as "coming from" a single employee. Even after the idea was formed by someone, it was most likely received input from various other people and/or departments until the finished product was placed into commerce. From its inception to completion, countless people usually have input. So, the originator of the idea may have been someone other than the person that brought it into reality. That idea may often change significantly from beginning to end. And consider that Mr. Parker modified and changed changed things over time based on his own preferences and field testing. So, even after the release of information, it didn't stay static. So, how many people then should credit? It could frankly be absurd. (It was Mr. X's idea to put the obscure elbow in Sword and Hammer, but Mr. Y came up with the name, oh and Ms. A wrote it down the first time, which was then edited by Mr. Z.)

In any event, like most commercial items, it is commonly understood that the item "came from" the larger entity, which here would be Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate or the IKKA. And since Ed Parker was the guy at the top, he would generally get the primary attribution by the public. Plus, if you approached this a pure intellectual property question, I am rather certain you would end up with Ed Parker and/or his corporations as the rights holders.

Besides, other than the ego of those that lay claim to who created what when, who cares about an ultimately insignificant detail? The importance of the form is in its merits, not its history.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wishing I had the financial and time resources to be visiting the Batcave. That's all.

Nice "clean up." You should have been a custodian. :) Whenever you're ready, although I'd say right now, your hands either are, (or should be), pretty full. :)

Latest Discussions