Who is the Founder of TKD...Debate!

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I wish to debate the theory of the creation of Taekwon-Do. This is attempted often however it is not generally the primary focus of a thread, but is rather a brief secondary happening.

Before we can induldge in the "Great Debate" let us first establish some ground work and mutual understanding. In order to do this let us discuss the first equation of the debate!

What defines an individual style or system and seperates it from the other fighting arts from which it is derived. (Example...What makes Judo not Jujitsu, Taekwon-Do not Karate, ect.)

Here we go!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good topic Spookey!

I think what separates Taekwondo from Karate-do is primarily Kyorugi (free-sparring) and Poomsae. The basics (Kibon) are very similar with some Taekwondo having modified techniques due to the different emphasis on Kyorugi. Please note this is only my opinion and a very broad simplified response to your question as to differentiation.

If you look at Kukki-TKD's stances-they are very similar to those found in Okinawan karate-do-upright, higher center-of-gravity. Japanese Karate-do, by contrast, has deeper stances.

In comparing Kukki-TKD's kicks, they are primarily snapping kicks versus the thrusting kicks found in Karate-do (Japanese).

I agree with MichiganTKD's post, in another thread, that the Korean government wished to differentiate TKD from Karate-do. So, the free-sparring was changed to be continuous and full-contact with less emphasis on hand techniques.

New Poomsae were created, first the Palgwe series, but since Kukki-TKD is really an attempt to bring people together, and since the Moo Duk Kwan and Jidokwan did not participate in the creation of the Palgwe series, the Taeguek series was later created. These two series of Poomsae were the creation by committees of advanced practitioners, who obviously understood the philosophical underpinnings. The Taeguek series in particular has deep meaning and the Poomse lines form the character of its meaning.

The bottom line, to answer your question, is that there was no "Founder." Rather, Taekwondo was, and is, a cooperativegroup effort. Sometimes there has been more cooperation than others.

Now, my question: Who cares if there was a single Founder? There are multiple interpretations (let's call them "styles") wihich emphasize some technical aspects more than others.

Miles

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Great post...

I would agree that the different methodology of technique is a great factor in differential (as there are only so many ways to punch and kick, but many methods of variance).

Also, patterns (whether Hyung, Poomse, or Tul) are a direct reflection of the specific methodology of a style.

Therefore, I believe that the patterns are probably the biggest factor in seperating the traditional arts as they reproduce the methodology of the style!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that the Poomse/Hyung/Tul are a huge factor. Here is another excerpt, this time about the attempt to standardize ranks and the unification effort:

Chapter 2, Section 8: The Unification of the Dan Promotion Test and
Hyung (Forms)

Now we are going to look at the system of Dan Promotion Test (Kong In
Seung Dan Shim Sa) of the Korea Taesoodo Association. At the time,
Taekwondo used different names such as Kong Soo Do, Tang Soo Do, Soo
Bahk Do, and Taekwondo, and the Kwans used different poomse (forms)
and kyorugi (sparring). The Promotion Test system conflict was the
most problematical issue at the time because each Kwan promoted those
who were not truly qualified in order to expand their Kwans and show
themselves as the best.

The first Korea Taesoodo Association president, CHOI Myung Shin,
stated: "The biggest problem we had was the Promotion Test System,
which needed to be set and formalized. What we did was set up an
Inspection Team to get rid of the differences in Hyung, Daeryun (free
sparring) and Kyokpa (breaking) that existed between each Kwan."

The first Promotion Test was held at the Kuk Min Hwe Eui Dang on
November 11, 1962. The Korea Taesoodo Association supported
the event, along with the Korean Amateur Sports Association (KASA),
the Daehan Jaekeon Kukmin Un Dong Bonbu (political party) and the Dae
Han Ilbo Sa (Korea Newspaper Company).

There were 25 judges and they included: CHOI Myung Shin (Oh Do
Kwan), LEE Nam Suk (Chang Moo Kwan), LEE Chong Woo
(Jidokwan/Han Kuk Che Yuk Kwan), UHM Woon Kyu (Chung Do
Kwan), PARK Chull Hee (Kang Duk Won), LEE Young Sup (Song
Moo Kwan), HYUN Jong Myung (Chung Do Kwan/Oh Do Kwan),
HONG Jong Pyo (Kang Duk Won/Heung Moo Kwan), KIM Soon Bae
(Chang Moo Kwan), KIM Soo Jin (Jidokwan), LEE Byung Ro
(Jidokwan), KO Jae Chun (Chung Do Kwan/Oh Do Kwan/Chung
Ryong Kwan), LEE Kyo Yun (Han Moo Kwan), BAEK Joon Ki
(Chung Do Kwan/Oh Do Kwan), among others.

At the event, CHOI Myung Shin said: "The Korea Taesoodo
Association did not improve because of the many conflicts between the
many opposing sides. However, we are now in a good position to change
that due to the May 16, 1961 Coup de tat. In the past, we promoted
people without due consideration, but I'm so glad that we are now
doing the right thing and can determine and extract the real martial
artists."

This same section goes on to recite which Poomsae/Hyung/Tul was required for dan ranks. It included the Chang Hon Tul. Note however, this was several years before the committee to create the Unified Poomsae was created. Sorry for the "cut-and-paste" jobs and long posts, but the information is invaluable.

Miles

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think another think you should look at in differentiating MA styles is the geometry, or shapes, that the styles are dependent on. (I actually wrote a paper on this.)

For example, in Aikido, they like to do a lot of circular movements - rolls and deflections and so forth.

In Karate, a "hard" style, the strikes and kicks are more or less linear.

I like to think TKD as being linear but also cubic. If you think of yourself as enclosed by two giant cubes (or refrigerator boxes or something), the cubes define your range. The inside one is your punching range. If your fist goes out of the bounds of your "box", you are off balance and can be taken advantage of. The same goes for kicks.

Just my two cents!
-Flamebearer

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good posts.

Overall, many Korean martial artists wanted a unique identity from the arts that were imported following WWII.

Of the first original schools, Song Moo Kwan, Ji Do Kwan, Moo Duk Won, Chang Moo Kwan, Chung Do Kwan were all teaching karate forms - mostly from the shorin-ryu lineage: Pyung Ahn 1-5, Sypsoo, Bassai Tae, etc. The Chang Moo Kwan differed because it taught Chinese Chuan-fa forms and techniques in addition to the karate techniques and forms. Plus, the Moo Duk Won taught something besides karate also (please have a Moo Duk Won instructor fill in this information).

Choi Hong Hi, because of his military ties, became a sort-of "poster boy" for heading up a movement for a unique Korean martial art - even though he was certainly not the most senior or knowledgable martial artist in Korea at that time. He created the Chang Hon(Blue Cottage) forms in 1950 based on his former training (he studied karate in Japan), but gave the forms names to commemorate events unique to Korean history in an attempt to make a unique identity away from anything, "Non-Korean."

Under his leadership and backed by govt. support, he solicited many martial artists to forget their previous training an teach the newly created "uniquely Korean" requirements. Many were eager to accept this duty, since the govt. gave out salaries for these people - which in war-torn S. Korea was a big deal.- most were very poor.

Later, the unification continued with the establishment of the Korean Taesoo Do in 1961, which became the Korean Taekwondo Association (KTA) in 1965.

The first forms created by this organization were the black belt forms used today in WTF schools: Koryo, Kum Gang, Baek Jae, Tae Baek, Jee Tae, etc., in December 1967. These were meant for black belt grade holders.

In 1973, the first clinics were held by the KTA for the new Gup-ranked forms called, "Palgue." Eight Palgue forms were created.

In 1974, the WTF (was KTA) created the Tae Guek forms to replace the Palgue forms and a new version of Koryo was created. The reason for the change was because a Korean Master who continued to teach the early kwan teachings instead of only teaching the new made-up requirements was the first to publish the Palgue forms in a book in 1973. This made made lots of elected WTF members angry that one of them hadn't done it first.

The following is a good letter to the editor from a Korean Grandmaster that was around during the early kwan days and witnessed the changes from the early 1950's until today.

http://www.kimsookarate.com/articles/closed-arts.html

R. McLain

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So it can be agreed that prior to the creation of the Chang Hon Hyungs, the other kwans were using the existing patterns of other arts.

Therefore, it would be fair to summise that Choi Hong Hi created the first pattern set unique to Taekwon-Do!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

I like to think TKD as being linear but also cubic. If you think of yourself as enclosed by two giant cubes (or refrigerator boxes or something), the cubes define your range. The inside one is your punching range. If your fist goes out of the bounds of your "box", you are off balance and can be taken advantage of. The same goes for kicks.

*very* intesresting observation about working the box for a certain range and going outside the box causing a loss of balalnce

As for the rest, I guess..who cares?

Who created jazz, who founded country/western? Does it really matter?

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Miles,
Could you put down what forms were originally req. at what rank. From the book you mentioned. Thank's,
Mithios

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
rmclain said:
Good posts.

Overall, many Korean martial artists wanted a unique identity from the arts that were imported following WWII.

Of the first original schools, Song Moo Kwan, Ji Do Kwan, Moo Duk Won, Chang Moo Kwan, Chung Do Kwan were all teaching karate forms - mostly from the shorin-ryu lineage: Pyung Ahn 1-5, Sypsoo, Bassai Tae, etc. The Chang Moo Kwan differed because it taught Chinese Chuan-fa forms and techniques in addition to the karate techniques and forms. Plus, the Moo Duk Won taught something besides karate also (please have a Moo Duk Won instructor fill in this information).

Choi Hong Hi, because of his military ties, became a sort-of "poster boy" for heading up a movement for a unique Korean martial art - even though he was certainly not the most senior or knowledgable martial artist in Korea at that time. He created the Chang Hon(Blue Cottage) forms in 1950 based on his former training (he studied karate in Japan), but gave the forms names to commemorate events unique to Korean history in an attempt to make a unique identity away from anything, "Non-Korean."

Under his leadership and backed by govt. support, he solicited many martial artists to forget their previous training an teach the newly created "uniquely Korean" requirements. Many were eager to accept this duty, since the govt. gave out salaries for these people - which in war-torn S. Korea was a big deal.- most were very poor.

Later, the unification continued with the establishment of the Korean Taesoo Do in 1961, which became the Korean Taekwondo Association (KTA) in 1965.

The first forms created by this organization were the black belt forms used today in WTF schools: Koryo, Kum Gang, Baek Jae, Tae Baek, Jee Tae, etc., in December 1967. These were meant for black belt grade holders.

In 1973, the first clinics were held by the KTA for the new Gup-ranked forms called, "Palgue." Eight Palgue forms were created.

In 1974, the WTF (was KTA) created the Tae Guek forms to replace the Palgue forms and a new version of Koryo was created. The reason for the change was because a Korean Master who continued to teach the early kwan teachings instead of only teaching the new made-up requirements was the first to publish the Palgue forms in a book in 1973. This made made lots of elected WTF members angry that one of them hadn't done it first.

The following is a good letter to the editor from a Korean Grandmaster that was around during the early kwan days and witnessed the changes from the early 1950's until today.

http://www.kimsookarate.com/articles/closed-arts.html

R. McLain
I actually have this mag and article.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back in the 1970's, I was getting ready for my TKD black belt. My instructor, Charles Parks, was straight from Korea. His English was ok, but it sounded funny to us. Master Parks, as we had called him, was a very talented martial art instructor. He had many great skills. Over the many years, I had become personal friends with him. Eating diner at his house. Going to movies, places, and out for diner. Meeting other Koreans and Korean organizations. We became best friends. Then he told me, in confidence, true situations. Incidentally, Parks wasn’t his birth name. The Koreans used Parks, Kim, Choi, Yee, Lee, Rhee, etc., as common.

First, he had performed many promotional feats of Chi/Qi/Ki. He told me how he had “propped”, or “staged” those demonstrations. They were false, like a magic show of illusion. After finding out these “secrets”, I and some friends that were amateur magicians, and belonging to a “Magicians Guild”, had reproduced easily. My belief in Chi/Qi/Ki, was shattered and I have become skeptical with anyone discussing it nowadays.

Second, he had told me truths about Tae Kwon Do development. Which later, I have come to find out that he was finally, speaking the truth. Apart from him speaking exaggerations, somewhat not whole truth, although not lies, in the beginning years and my beginning training.

At first, he lead everyone to believe that TKD was ancient. Centuries old. Then he said it had developed from an ancient art called Tae Kyon. Then he had said Korean arts were around since the “Three Kingdoms”. After 20 years of knowing him, he told me that Tae Kwon Do was merely developed in the 1950’s. (Which my research later had also confirmed)

The Japanese, during World War II, had dominated and controlled all of Asia. They were ruthless, some say worse than the Nazis. Every town and country went through cruel physical punishment. But this was not enough, the Japanese want to “deculturize”. Meaning that they went about destroying anything that gave each town and country “culture identity”. They wanted these conquered places to be Japanese and to control. They destroyed many things, including old texts.

After the war, Korea, like many countries, had to rebuild. Not only buildings and structures, but “cultures” as well. The Japanese hit Korea harder than most Asian countries. Some Korean scholars had kept some old text and documents. But others had to be re-made from memory of many elders. Thus, some are not of actual truth, but speculations.

The Korean Government wanted a National Art. A National past time, or sport, to unify the nation. Japan had Sumo and Judo. America had wrestling, boxing, baseball, etc. The result was the gathering of many Korean martial artists. They pooled their techniques and structured one organization. The so-called father, or person to do this, was a Korean General named Hong Hi Choi.

The Korean Government wanted to promote this new National Art, which was named generically, “The Art/Way of Kicking and Punching”-Tae Kwon Do. Next, they wanted to link its origins historically, so they set about re-structuring Korean history, thus having Tae Kwon Do linked to ancient and historic Korean culture.

Upon trying to promote it further, that had current Korean martial art masters, go to other countries. With huge government finances, money, financial support, these Korean master opened Tae Kwon Do schools everywhere, and in abundance, per chain schools, in many cases.

This is where Master Parks came to America. He was a martial artist, but much of his martial art training was from China, and Chinese military. But, as all of the Korean Masters, they wanted to state that their art is strictly Korean. And why shouldn’t they? After all they were Korean people. They were born in Korea. They wanted to bring back pride to their country.

Now, this is where the controversy starts. People that trained under these Korean masters, were also lead to believe these huge fabrications and not so whole truths. Later, many martial art scholars, people who study martial arts, but their history, development, origins, etc., have come to discover many inadequacies in the Korean martial art history. Thus, causing much “denial” and rejection of these scholars.

Master Parks, told me how he had met Gen Choi, and that the Korean government gave him huge funding to open as many Tae Kwon Do schools as possible. The Korean Government took care of all documentations, per giving him a new birth certificate/name, passports, family history (not his own) with fabricated family photos and other documents. And how the Korean Government, had paid many researchers, like historians and archeologists, to conjure many tales and inadequate findings.

In the past couple of decades, there is a power struggle between the founding members of Tae Kwon Do. Many have formed their own organizations or associations. Some went as far as to “rename” their art and pull away from using the name Tae Kwon Do. Thus, these too, had to “fabricate” their history and background.

This is the same as the Shaolin Bandwagon. Things are exaggerated to hold substance.

I have long stopped practicing Tae Kwon Do, as well as Korean arts. I still have a respect for them and that they do develop skill and discipline. Just like any created martial art per century, all have benefits. But many, have fabricated history or history based upon speculation. This is to “glorify”, their name or art. This does not have to be so.

Further Interent research Sites Please read each one:

http://www.sos.mtu.edu/husky/tkdhist.htm

http://fight.sphosting.com/nauta.html

http://www.barrel.net/

MODERN TIMES

http://www.pastornet.net.au/response/articles/15.htm

http://paperwindow.com/tkd/

http://ryanshroyer.tripod.com/faq/why_shotokan.html

http://www.martialarts.org/korean.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/tkm_martialart/taekwondo.htm

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Spookey,

Yes, I would agree that Choi Hong Hi created the first forms unique to Taekwondo.

I don't practice the ITF forms, but one of my 6th Gup students transferred in from a place he was a 1st Dan in ITF TKD and studied their forms. It's interesting because he is learning the Pyung Ahn forms with me, and occasionally makes the remark, "Oh, I just found out where the technique in <insert ITF form> came from." - Since Choi was a karate student before.

R. McLain

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
R. McLain,

May I ask where did you get your references from? This is not to discredit you, but I would like to read and locate them for future reference.

Any links or such?

Thanks

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have long stopped practicing Tae Kwon Do, as well as Korean arts.

If you don't mind me asking, do you still train and if so, in what? I'm just curious, for there seems to be a lot of negitive information surfacing. On another site, someone that lives in Korea stated that there are very little, if any, adults training in Korea, just children and almost all stop after grade school. It almost sounds as if the arts are on the verge of dying out in Korea.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A.) Who are you asking?

B.) Negative, no. People are starting to realize, because of its over-satuation, that there is more out there.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A.) Who are you asking?

47MartialMan

B.) Negative, no. People are starting to realize, because of its over-satuation, that there is more out there.

Just what is the "more out there"?

Thanks for the reply

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A.) Who are you asking? 47MartialMan

Not to sound sarcastic, but I had gave you the answer in my long post.

Just what is the "more out there"?
More martial arts without excessive needs for excessive promotion or other.
More martial arts that openedmore schools that give more choices. Using the analogies of automobiles or religion.

Thanks for the reply
Thank you likewise

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Question (related to the thread!),

Before 1955 the kwans were practicing existing arts (mainly Tang Soo Do). They also called their "art" something other than Taekwon-Do (Mainly Tang Soo Do).

Choi Hong Hi coined the name Taekwon-Do (which previously stated was not widely accepted by the other kwan jangs), was also the first to create patterns specific to this art (which were not widely accepted by the other kwans), created a system of rank not generally used in the original kwans, and created guidelines for competition in the (not widely accepted) art of Taekwon-Do.

So, basically, no one was interested in Choi Hong Hi and his Taekwon-Do. However, once he had gained international recognition for the new art, the Korean government and the kwan leaders decided that somehow they were the creators of this internationally accepted art of Taekwon-Do.

Has it ever dawned on us that the original had to come first?

~Chang Hon Patterns = 1950's
~Pal-Gues = 1970's
~ITF = 1966
~WTF = 1973

In conclusion, I believe Choi Hong Hi (and company) created an international art called Taekwon-Do. Then after the success of Taekwon-Do, the Kwan Jangs (who were previously unaccepting of Taekwon-Do) as well as the Korean government chose to use the reputation of TKD as a means of international recognition for their country.

The Korean Kukkiwon did succeed in bringing the kwans together (a great acomplishment). Also, they did manage to create a unique art seperate from Karate (and Taekwon-Do). The only thing they have yet to do is name their art! Instead they chose to use the international recognition previously gained by the dictator that wouldnt follow their rules...

TAEKWON!
Spookey

(Please choose to debate as opposed to FLAME!)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mithios said:
Miles,
Could you put down what forms were originally req. at what rank. From the book you mentioned. Thank's,
Mithios
No problem, Mithios. Here's the section speaking about the first unified Dan Test:

Chapter 2, Section 8: The Unification of the Dan Promotion Test and
Hyung (Forms)

Now we are going to look at the system of Dan Promotion Test (Kong In
Seung Dan Shim Sa) of the Korea Taesoodo Association. At the time,
Taekwondo used different names such as Kong Soo Do, Tang Soo Do, Soo
Bahk Do, and Taekwondo, and the Kwans used different poomse (forms)
and kyorugi (sparring). The Promotion Test system conflict was the
most problematical issue at the time because each Kwan promoted those
who were not truly qualified in order to expand their Kwans and show
themselves as the best.

The first Korea Taesoodo Association president, CHOI Myung Shin,
stated: "The biggest problem we had was the Promotion Test System,
which needed to be set and formalized. What we did was set up an
Inspection Team to get rid of the differences in Hyung, Daeryun (free
sparring) and Kyokpa (breaking) that existed between each Kwan."

The first Promotion Test was held at the Kuk Min Hwe Eui Dang on
November 11, 1962. The Korea Taesoodo Association supported
the event, along with the Korean Amateur Sports Association (KASA),
the Daehan Jaekeon Kukmin Un Dong Bonbu (political party) and the Dae
Han Ilbo Sa (Korea Newspaper Company).

There were 25 judges and they included: CHOI Myung Shin (Oh Do
Kwan), LEE Nam Suk (Chang Moo Kwan), LEE Chong Woo
(Jidokwan/Han Kuk Che Yuk Kwan), UHM Woon Kyu (Chung Do
Kwan), PARK Chull Hee (Kang Duk Won), LEE Young Sup (Song
Moo Kwan), HYUN Jong Myung (Chung Do Kwan/Oh Do Kwan),
HONG Jong Pyo (Kang Duk Won/Heung Moo Kwan), KIM Soon Bae
(Chang Moo Kwan), KIM Soo Jin (Jidokwan), LEE Byung Ro
(Jidokwan), KO Jae Chun (Chung Do Kwan/Oh Do Kwan/Chung
Ryong Kwan), LEE Kyo Yun (Han Moo Kwan), BAEK Joon Ki
(Chung Do Kwan/Oh Do Kwan), among others.

At the event, CHOI Myung Shin said: "The Korea Taesoodo
Association did not improve because of the many conflicts between the
many opposing sides. However, we are now in a good position to change
that due to the May 16, 1961 Coup de tat. In the past, we promoted
people without due consideration, but I'm so glad that we are now
doing the right thing and can determine and extract the real martial
artists."

The following is the actual procedure for the first National Promotion
Test (Jun Kuk Seung Dan Shimsa Dae Hwe) of the Korea Taesoodo
Association:

1) Opening of the Promotion Test; 2) Courtesy; 3) Revolution Public
Pledge; 4) Opening remarks by Promotion Test Chairman CHOI
Myung Shin; 5) Performance of test and judges consideration; 6) Review
and Comment of Judges; 7) Dan Certificate award ceremony; 8) Manse Sam
Chang (Korean version of Banzai; "Manse! Manse! Manse!"); 9) Closing
of the Promotion Test.

One thing that was special about this first Promotion Test was the
inclusion of the Revolution Public Pledge, because South Korea was
under a military regime at the time.

HONG Jong Pyo (72 years old in 1999) kept the paperwork for the
event and stated: "For 3rd Dan promotion and higher, the three areas
tested were Hyung (forms), Daeryun (sparring) and Nonmun (written
examination). The 1st Dan candidates were required to perform hyung
from the 5 Pyong Ahn Hyung, Chul Ki Chodan Hyung (Chul Ki #1),
Naebojin Chodan Hyung (Naebojin #1), Ja Won Hyung, and
Hwarang Hyung."

At the time, the promotion test consisted of Hyung (forms), Shihap
(sparring) and Nonmun (written examination). The Sparring portion of
the Promotion Test was conducted under the following rules:

1) Hogu (chest protector) must be worn on the upper body, and gloves
must be worn on both hands;

2) The judges consisted of one Center Referee, four Corner Judges, and
two Jury members. The Center Referee has the responsibility to
determine the winner and is in charge of the contest. The Corner
Judges were placed at each corner of the ring and scored points using
red and blue flags. The Jury's responsibility was to calculate and
tabulate the scoring of the Corner Judges.

3) The size of thecompetition area is 8 x 8 meters; 4) The length of
the competition was one round of three minutes.

With respect to the Hyung (form) portion of the examination, the
examinees chose two forms from the following group:

2nd Dan forms: Balhan Hyung Dae; Chul Ki E Dan Hyung (Chul Ki #2);
Naebojin E Dan Hyung (Naebojin #2); Kima E Dan Hyung (Kima #2); Choong
Moo Hyung.

3rd Dan forms: Ship Su Hyung; Pal Sae Hyung; Yon Bi Hyung; Dan
Kwon Kyung; No Pae Hyung; Ge Baek Hyung; Ul Ji Hyung.

4th Dan forms: Chul Ki Sam Dan Hyung (Chul Ki #3); Naebojin Sam Dan
Hyung (Naebojin #3); Kima Sam Dan Hyung (Kima #3); Ja Un Hyung; Jin
Soo Hyun; Am Hak Hyung; Jin Dong Hyung; Sam Il Hyung; Jang Kwon Hyung.

5th Dan forms: Kong Sang Kun Hyung; Kwan Kong Hyung; Oh Ship Sa Hyung;
Ship Sam Hyung; Ban Wol Hyung; Pal Ki Kwon Hyung.

At the time, the Hyung (Poomse) were adapted from Karate as was the
Daeryun (Kyoruki). In the 1950's, CHOI Hong Hee's Chang Hon Ryu forms
Ge Baek and Choong Moo used at the Oh Do Kwan was included in this
promotion test. HONG Jong Pyo criticized CHOI Hong Hi and the Chang
Hon Ryu: "CHOI Hong Hi is a historical figure, and he was brave, but
at one time, he had a strong connection with former ROK President RHEE
Syng Man and tried to kiss up to him with those forms. He also made
the Eui Am Hyung."

Candidates for 3rd Dan and above also had a Nonmun, or written
examination requirement. The 1st Exam question was "Please explain the
importance of the unification and standardization of the different
Hyung." As the question shows, the biggest problem of the Korea
Taesoodo Association was the unification of the different Kwan
methods. However, as time went on, the written examination was taken
out of the testing requirements.

During this time period, the main focus of every Kwan was to foster
the attitude of a martial artist, as well as develop the basic
techniques, movement and philosophy of each Kwan. The training of
Hyung was from Karate, and Daeryun or sparring techniques and
specialties varied depending on each Kwan's specialty.

Coming Up: Chapter 2; Section 9: The Founding of the Korea Taekwondo
Association

------------------------------

Sorry for yet another long post folks!

Miles

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This will be interesting:

Coming Up: Chapter 2; Section 9: The Founding of the Korea Taekwondo
Association

Latest Discussions