Who is creating in shaolin kempo or in the rest of the ohana?

Discussion in 'Kenpo / Kempo - Technical Discussion' started by marlon, Dec 11, 2013.

1. marlon

marlon Master Black Belt

One of the things that bother me about SKK and kempo in general is that it is difficult to grow within the art. Whether egos make an innovator claim a "new" style or the rest of the family start arguing that it is not SKK...we lose creativity. I find it sad that we can let an art stagnate this way. Is anyone out there creating within their art/practice?

2. punisher73

punisher73 Senior Master

What do you mean by "creating within their art"? Adding more forms/katas/techniques? Or do you mean digging deeper to the existing material and finding new applications to the movements of the forms/katas? I think this is true of any art. At some point the curriculum becomes set, and from there a person either starts adding more stuff to the existing system and calls it something else, or they start to go deeper into what is there and pass it on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. marlon

marlon Master Black Belt

I mean both actually. However, not simply creating techniques and forms for the sake of 'more', rather to train, teach and understand the practice of kempo better. This may include removing material; grouping techniques; writing .... Matt's archive is an excellent addition to kempo as an example of creating to the art.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jdokan

Jdokan Black Belt

I'm focusing on less material. I work on the kata's 1,3, 5. Combinations: I focus on 1 - 20.
    I've infused a lot of Silat concepts. I do not consider me "creating" anything though.

5. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

Not sure about creating, but multiple sensei's have shown me tweaks and various changes that they've made to combinations. They also encourage students, after a point, to do the same and adapt the techniques to fit our own style and strengths. Not sure if that's the kind of creating you're referring to, but it's what we do.

6. Jdokan

Jdokan Black Belt

"it is difficult to grow within the art" I think to define this can be 2 ways...obtaining rank or gaining knowledge. I have given up on the rank issue. I just work out. I know kinda simplistic but I think that is why most of are here. As stated in my earlier post. Rather than trying to learn more combinations/technique etc., I tend to look to my forms and pull material from there. Is that "creating" I guess it depends on how you look at it. I can do 1 kata for the rest of my life and still find additional ways to extract from it. As far as creating a new style...If you are perpetuating your instructors material status quo then not a new style. If you're incorporating additional material then you can't fly the same flag as your instructor. Not a bad thing...Are you creating a new style? Not in my mind. I'm still doing SKK but with a different flavor. I can't call it U.S.S.D., Villari's, or Masters or United Shaolin Kempo San Chai Na. Is it flavored by the past - Yes definitely. But by incorporating Silat it has become something changed...If you're happy doing the material as given by your Instructor great! If you wander in a different direction - Great!

7. sifulane

sifulane White Belt

Salute*
    Bruce Lee said that he no longer believed in styles. He observed that unless their was a human being with three arms or legs, then there were no new ways of fighting. I think that many people may offer their own personal views on styles or techniques, but no one is really creating anything new.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

8. Yondanchris

Yondanchris Master Black Belt

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I agree that's why I left SKK among other reasons and why I created "Stewart Family Christian Kenpo" for my students by combining my knowledge of SKK and AK along with other things I have picked up along the way.

Chris

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

9. MA_Student

MA_Student Blue Belt

Why's it Christian kenpo? Religion should never come into marital arts

10. Yondanchris

Yondanchris Master Black Belt

• MartialTalk Mentor
    This has been dealt with in other threads but the martial arts and religion have been intertwined for millennia from Pancrateon (Pantheon of God's), Arts of India (Hinduism), Gung Fu (Buddism) ....ect it's only in the modern era has there been a segregation of martial arts and religion....especially if it's called "Christian"

Chris

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

11. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Grandmaster

It is my understanding that historically some cultures have integrated their religious beliefs into most or all aspects of their lives, in that there was no real separation. So there wasn't so much a specific connection between their martial art and their religion as there was a connection with their religion and all other aspects of life, including their martial art.

As such, if a person in the modern day sees a similar connection between their religious beliefs and all other aspects of life, including their martial training, then so be it. But to specifically look for or manufacture that connection if it isn't already ubiquitous, would not make much sense, in my opinion.

People live their lives according to how they see fit. For some, that includes religion or spirituality of some kind. For others, it does not.

• Agree Agree x 1