Who is against this?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was Jamming to my new "Kings X" CD and I caught them bitching about paying for cable TV for prison inmates. Who is against this and why?
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was Jamming to my new "Kings X" CD and I caught them bitching about paying for cable TV for prison inmates. Who is against this and why?
Sean

You would be surprised as to what the inmates have available to them in prison. A roof over their head, 3 meals a day, plus snacks and certain food items available from the prison, rec. time, both inside and out, and weight equipment. The place where I worked had TVs in the day rooms that have cable. No HBO, Showtime or anything like that, but they got more than the basic channels. They also had the option of having a TV in their cell.

So...as you can see, prison/jail is not what it should be IMHO.

Mike

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You would be surprised as to what the inmates have available to them in prison. A roof over their head, 3 meals a day, plus snacks and certain food items available from the prison, rec. time, both inside and out, and weight equipment. The place where I worked had TVs in the day rooms that have cable. No HBO, Showtime or anything like that, but they got more than the basic channels. They also had the option of having a TV in their cell.

Mike
What should it be?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What should it be?

It should be a place to serve time for a crime, not a country club resort. IMO, they should be in their cells for 22-23 hrs coming out for 1-2 only. I don't believe that weight equipment is a necessity. I don't believe that 4 hrs of rec time a day should be given either. The TV should be in the day room, not in the cell.

Does this sound harsh?? Of course. With the way things are, they pretty much have all the comforts of home.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts as well Sean. :)

Mike

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is by far less expensive to entertain the inmates than to be mean to them. The number of inmates per guard increases when they have a release for their aggression. TV is not only the opiate of the masses, it is the opiate of the prison system. The alternative is a group of criminals with nothing better to do than figure out how to fight the system and the guards are there only direct access to the system. I've studied this so I'm ready for your response:mst:
Sean

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is by far less expensive to entertain the inmates than to be mean to them. The number of inmates per guard increases when they have a release for their aggression. TV is not only the opiate of the masses, it is the opiate of the prison system.

It all comes down to economics. Pay $50/month for cable or $2500/month for another guard. No one wants to see them coddled...but no one wants higher taxes either. There's no winning!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is by far less expensive to entertain the inmates than to be mean to them. The number of inmates per guard increases when they have a release for their aggression. TV is not only the opiate of the masses, it is the opiate of the prison system. The alternative is a group of criminals with nothing better to do than figure out how to fight the system and the guards are there only direct access to the system. I've studied this so I'm ready for your response:mst:
Sean

I'm still confused by your answers. Are you against TV or for it for the inmates? I think you also may be misunderstanding as I didn't say anything about being mean to them. IMO, prison should leave the impression as a place that you don't want to return to. With the way it is, you'd be surprised at the repeat offenders.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mike
Where do I sign up for this free ride?

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still confused by your answers. Are you against TV or for it for the inmates? I think you also may be misunderstanding as I didn't say anything about being mean to them. IMO, prison should leave the impression as a place that you don't want to return to. With the way it is, you'd be surprised at the repeat offenders.
Sorry... I am for the TV. As The Prison system rapidly becomes our laregest gross national product, we need to do it as cheaply as possible. Most of these guys were raised to be criminals; so, I doubt the detourant effect. Until we can target problem kids in the school system, we need to do what the prison system does; it seperates the problem people from the population. We need to stop pretending its about the inmates. In the end the people want them to re-offend so they can be taken away... again.
sean

KeeblerElf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I say give them the TV. But cable? C'mon, I didn't get cable in my house til I was 18. I had the really basic channels (like 7 of them) and dial up internet. Give them books, lots and lots of books. And educational materials that they can learn from and more books. And paper, pencils, crayons, markers, etc. Or have them do something constructive with their time, like write a novel. I don't think they should get all the amenities they get such as the cable on their tv, but a 6X6 prison cell and no daylight seems a little cruel. Unless you are a mass murderer or rapist something like that. Than give them the 6X6 cell with nothing. I have no sympathy for people that kill other people or rape other people. Just MHO.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry... I am for the TV. As The Prison system rapidly becomes our laregest gross national product, we need to do it as cheaply as possible. Most of these guys were raised to be criminals; so, I doubt the detourant effect. Until we can target problem kids in the school system, we need to do what the prison system does; it seperates the problem people from the population. We need to stop pretending its about the inmates. In the end the people want them to re-offend so they can be taken away... again.
sean

Notice in post 4 I mentioned the TV. Give it to them in the day room, not in the cell. In addition, the rec time should be cut in half. I remember a thread on here not too long ago about that Sheriff in Arizona, I believe. The guy that has tents for them rather than cells. Judging by what the article said, the inmates there didn't seem like they wanted to keep coming back.

Mike

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just put an X here.
Sean
Throw in a massage service and I'm there.

But seriously, I feel they should have some of these "luxuries", but I feel that if prison is made too comfy it might make it a little easier for an ex con that's having a hard time on the outside to commit more crimes. He has nothing to lose, if he doesn't get away with it then he goe's back to a place that's "not that bad". I want to know that they will have incentive NOT to go back in once their out..

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Notice in post 4 I mentioned the TV. Give it to them in the day room, not in the cell. In addition, the rec time should be cut in half. I remember a thread on here not too long ago about that Sheriff in Arizona, I believe. The guy that has tents for them rather than cells. Judging by what the article said, the inmates there didn't seem like they wanted to keep coming back.

Mike
But they will... Anyhow, up in the Northwest the prison system makes a tidy profit off the inmates by overcharging for TV's, headphones, and cable service. Its a win win for the prison. They actualy profit. They will just fight in the rec room.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Throw in a massage service and I'm there.

But seriously, I feel they should have some of these "luxuries", but I feel that if prison is made too comfy it might make it a little easier for an ex con that's having a hard time on the outside to commit more crimes. He has nothing to lose, if he doesn't get away with it then he goe's back to a place that's "not that bad". I want to know that they will have incentive NOT to go back in once their out..

Thats my point. Its a place to do time, not a resort.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But they will... Anyhow, up in the Northwest the prison system makes a tidy profit off the inmates by overcharging for TV's, headphones, and cable service. Its a win win for the prison. They actualy profit. They will just fight in the rec room.
Sean

Well, I've been out of that job for a long time now. Bottom line is, the state is going to do what they want to do. The COs were there to ensure the safety and security of the facility. We could moan and groan all we want about what they should/should not have, but it did no good.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score

Mike

I remember another article about the sheriff who was making the prisoners wear pink jumpsuits...or maybe he painted the cells pink....either way, helped reduce repeat offenders, at least in his district...no telling if they went some place else to commit a crime...

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember another article about the sheriff who was making the prisoners wear pink jumpsuits...or maybe he painted the cells pink....either way, helped reduce repeat offenders, at least in his district...no telling if they went some place else to commit a crime...
Prolly

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Mike

I remember enjoying that post as well. I am not that educated on this particular subject, and I'll admit that I don't know if having cable tv lowers the instances of fights, etc (someone posted something about paying for cable vs paying for another guard). But I do know that it bums me out to think that I don't feel I can spend the money on cable for myself, yet any prisoner that lives off of my tax dollars gets it (they also have a better work out facility, and probably classier food than me too!). Now I am not saying "woe is me." I am pretty fresh out of college, live alone, and trying to get my foot in the door as a professional martial artist, but it's still hard to feel good about how my tax dollars are used when I wouldn't even use them that way on myself.

Latest Discussions