Who here carries concealed and how?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you're carrying the gun in the classic "small of the back" position, but shifted closer to the hip. Is that accurate? If so, your draw would be essentially the same as any other "behind the hip" carrier, except palm out rather than palm in. I've carried that way myself, temporarily, following a shoulder injury.
Correct, thanks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think what's most important is practicing the draw and firing from whatever carry position one prefers. As is the familiarity and experience one has with firearms, especially how that experience relates to one's day to day travels.

I've used an ankle holster before, (primarily as a back up) but don't really care for them at all. I've used shoulder holsters before, and I like some over others depending on the particular piece, but no longer use them - especially where I currently reside. (they tend to clash with t-shirts)

I think there's also a difference between a large handgun and a small handgun (as to preference of carry). And this also relates to each person's particular size. I'm small, and have less practical options than a much larger man.

I really don't like guns, not one little bit. More so as I get older. Kind of strange for a person who's carried professionally and personally for a very long time, but, hey, what can I say?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what's most important is practicing the draw and firing from whatever carry position one prefers. As is the familiarity and experience one has with firearms, especially how that experience relates to one's day to day travels.

I've used an ankle holster before, (primarily as a back up) but don't really care for them at all. I've used shoulder holsters before, and I like some over others depending on the particular piece, but no longer use them - especially where I currently reside. (they tend to clash with t-shirts)

I think there's also a difference between a large handgun and a small handgun (as to preference of carry). And this also relates to each person's particular size. I'm small, and have less practical options than a much larger man.

I really don't like guns, not one little bit. More so as I get older. Kind of strange for a person who's carried professionally and personally for a very long time, but, hey, what can I say?
I'm less fond of them than I once was. Can't tell if I'm headed the same way as you, Buka, but I definitely don't get the same joy from shooting them that I used to. I used to spend a couple of hours every weekend at an indoor range, just for the joy of shooting as many rounds as I could manage. Loaded my own back then to save money.

I was practicing my draw just yesterday. I never carry anymore (no CCW, too many situations where I wouldn't be allowed to carry if I had it), but I practice in case I need it. The gun stays in an electronic safe (fingertip touch combination) in the holster. If something seems awry, I take it out and put the holster on, so the draw might be necessary. The holster I have is great at retention (almost no chance of someone getting it out during a struggle), but there will be no fast or concealed draw from that SOB. Thinking maybe I need a new holster.

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I carry inside the waistband in the 4-5 o'clock position just above my right rear pocket of my jeans.

Really comfortable position that still allows a "fast" draw but also allows you to conceal your draw as well.

I carry concealed in my right hand sometimes I carry concealed in my left hand, depending on which leg is hurting more. I also additionally carry concealed on my right hip and sometimes above my head (in my hat) and at times in the left and right pockets of my trench coat when I am wearing it. In those situations I keep one of my hands in my pocket on the weapon. While the other hand is holding the other concealed weapon in plane sight.

Some say I suffer from paranoia.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off duty I carry a Glock 26 appendix position.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Off duty I carry a Glock 26 appendix position.

Never was able to carry in the appendix position. Just never was comfortable.

Also a lot of the time I carry without a holster so I'm a little uneasy with it pointing at my junk.;)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried it with my Glock 19 and it was uncomfortable. But with the G26 I almost forget I have it on. Depends on the body type, gun and holster. I like the appendix carry as the firearm is readily accessible while in the vehicle.

Whenever I have to carry w/o a holster (which is rare these days) I would carry without a round in the chamber. But I'm comfortable doing it as I was trained, and also teach Israeli Instinctive shooting which is full mag with empty chamber.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a fan of carrying a firearm without one in the chamber.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It requires training to be proficient in the method. But it works well.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The beauty is in the totality of the training. Part of the training is how to load/chamber one-handed, with either hand without the use of the holster. How to chamber while moving/fighting. Point shooting within 15 yards and head shots at 25 yards.

And examples of the training:

Standing at the 3yd line you pick up your partner in a fireman's carry (who is simulating an injury). You then run back to the 25yd line while drawing, chambering one-handed and engaging three targets live fire.

While engaging the target live fire an instructor comes up behind you and attacks you. Normally a choke or a sweep or both and you have to fight him off while still engaging the target with shots on target.

It's pure combat shooting as taught in the Israeli IDF. My niece was a detective and the first female motorcycle Officer in the country. My nephew was an Officer. Their father was also a detective. Some of the teaching differs from what is taught as standard here in the U.S. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. And it's combat proven, which is the ultimate test really.

Normally, my department policy is a round chambered and either an OWB or IWB holster. However, on the rare occasion that I may not have a holster I'll carry without a round in the chamber. I feel just as comfortable either way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The beauty is in the totality of the training. Part of the training is how to load/chamber one-handed, with either hand without the use of the holster. How to chamber while moving/fighting. Point shooting within 15 yards and head shots at 25 yards.

And examples of the training:

Standing at the 3yd line you pick up your partner in a fireman's carry (who is simulating an injury). You then run back to the 25yd line while drawing, chambering one-handed and engaging three targets live fire.

While engaging the target live fire an instructor comes up behind you and attacks you. Normally a choke or a sweep or both and you have to fight him off while still engaging the target with shots on target.

It's pure combat shooting as taught in the Israeli IDF. My niece was a detective and the first female motorcycle Officer in the country. My nephew was an Officer. Their father was also a detective. Some of the teaching differs from what is taught as standard here in the U.S. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. And it's combat proven, which is the ultimate test really.

Normally, my department policy is a round chambered and either an OWB or IWB holster. However, on the rare occasion that I may not have a holster I'll carry without a round in the chamber. I feel just as comfortable either way.
I like the totality. I just don't like the (to me unnecessary) added complication of needing to chamber. Guns have safeties designed to make them reasonably safe for a round in the chamber. IMO, there's more likely to be a problem with the gun from some of the one-handed chambering under high stress than from a gun in a holster with a round in it.

Mind you, I'm not trained in one-handed chambering, so there is that. I know a few techniques for emergency use, and would probably find the level of training even for that to be useful. I still probably wouldn't carry with an empty chamber.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood. While I don't necessarily advocate carrying a firearm without a round in the chamber, I do advocate strongly training the loading and chambering of a round one-handed. With both the strong and support hand. The reason is in the advent that one of your limbs becomes disabled you can still effectively stay in the fight (read: Miami FBI massacre and the agent that still stayed in the fight after suffering a horrific injury to his arm). I also advocated being able to clear a malfunction, one-handed, with either hand and without the holster. Techniques that involve the holster are fine...unless you don't have a holster, the holster is damaged or your body position (prone) precludes it being effectively used.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood. While I don't necessarily advocate carrying a firearm without a round in the chamber, I do advocate strongly training the loading and chambering of a round one-handed. With both the strong and support hand. The reason is in the advent that one of your limbs becomes disabled you can still effectively stay in the fight (read: Miami FBI massacre and the agent that still stayed in the fight after suffering a horrific injury to his arm). I also advocated being able to clear a malfunction, one-handed, with either hand and without the holster. Techniques that involve the holster are fine...unless you don't have a holster, the holster is damaged or your body position (prone) precludes it being effectively used.
I definitely agree with those ideas, KSD. I have practiced (though not been trained in) clearing/chambering with one hand, both with and without using a holster (I actually find it more difficult against my kydex holster than a pair of jeans or belt). I am not great at it, and if I had the money to invest in training, that's something I'd be looking for.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We also train being able to draw the weapon with your off hand in case your arm gets disabled before the draw.

Something to keep in mind....can you reach your weapon with your other arm?

My thought process on carrying is from an undecover role and I prefer a method with the least amount of motion to provide a quick concealed draw.

We also train in point shooting.....imho that is the best method of shooting inside 20 yards

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also train being able to draw the weapon with your off hand in case your arm gets disabled before the draw.

Something to keep in mind....can you reach your weapon with your other arm?

My thought process on carrying is from an undecover role and I prefer a method with the least amount of motion to provide a quick concealed draw.

We also train in point shooting.....imho that is the best method of shooting inside 20 yards
I am a definite proponent of point shooting. I got rid of a gun I really liked, because it didn't "point" well. Something about how I gripped it just didn't work well with point shooting like with my other guns.

When I carried (OWB, just behind the hip), I practiced drawing across behind myself with my off-hand. The holster I currently keep my gun in at home (don't carry) would be impossible to draw off-hand. Something about it makes getting it out off-axis nearly impossible. That makes it unlikely someone else can get my gun from my holster at the cost of not being able to draw off-hand.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a definite proponent of point shooting. I got rid of a gun I really liked, because it didn't "point" well. Something about how I gripped it just didn't work well with point shooting like with my other guns.

When I carried (OWB, just behind the hip), I practiced drawing across behind myself with my off-hand. The holster I currently keep my gun in at home (don't carry) would be impossible to draw off-hand. Something about it makes getting it out off-axis nearly impossible. That makes it unlikely someone else can get my gun from my holster at the cost of not being able to draw off-hand.

Interesting.

If you don't mind, what kind of holster is it? Guessing some kind of triple retention

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

If you don't mind, what kind of holster is it? Guessing some kind of triple retention
It's an earlier model of this Galco holster: M7X MATRIX: Galco Belt Holsters at Galco

So far as I know, there's no intentional extra retention to it. It just doesn't allow the gun out well at anything except an upward draw, and even that needs significant force. Interestingly, when it's not on the belt, it's a bit easier to draw if you know the holster. If anyone managed to get into my bedside safe without waking me, they'd likely take several seconds at least to free the gun from the holster. I can draw it from my belt or from the free holster because I've practiced and know how.

Essentially, I think it's a slightly defective holster, that happens to work for my purposes.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's an earlier model of this Galco holster: M7X MATRIX: Galco Belt Holsters at Galco

So far as I know, there's no intentional extra retention to it. It just doesn't allow the gun out well at anything except an upward draw, and even that needs significant force. Interestingly, when it's not on the belt, it's a bit easier to draw if you know the holster. If anyone managed to get into my bedside safe without waking me, they'd likely take several seconds at least to free the gun from the holster. I can draw it from my belt or from the free holster because I've practiced and know how.

Essentially, I think it's a slightly defective holster, that happens to work for my purposes.

Looking at that holster it looks like you might just be putting it in a bind.

If you are carrying past 3 o'clock try reaching around behind and instead of grasping the pistols handle....grasp the pistol below the handle around the trigger guard and slide.

This will make it easier to draw it more straight up and eliminate the bind you are putting on it.

Of course you will have change your grip afterwards but the main thing is getting it out of the holster.