White Crane Silat - Indonesian KungFu ..Must Read!!!

Would this art be worth of it of Learning?

• Yes - I will post why.... PLease do

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No - I will post why not /...... Please do

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Don't like them will recommend u something else...

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • These guys are fakers, Frauds, claiming White Crane KungFu or others -- please say why ..

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Shinryu

White Crane Silat Bangau Putih
Persatuan Gerak Badan
Silat-Indonesian KungFu
:confused:

Can anyone help me with this?

White Crane Silat (SILAT NYC)

There is the site, they have clips, links, etc... Please help me...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What help do you want with this ? Go to the school a couple of times , watch , listen, and ask whatever questions you want to the students and instructors. If you like what you see study there if you dont like what you see or get for answers dont go back
Shadow

OP
S

Shinryu

Originally posted by tshadowchaser

What help do you want with this ? Go to the school a couple of times , watch , listen, and ask whatever questions you want to the students and instructors. If you like what you see study there if you dont like what you see or get for answers dont go back
Shadow

The help I want from you guys, is that to tell me what you think about the art, what is the art based on , etc....
What you think of the clips, and the what about the other sites that are much bigger than this site.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like a fairly standard kuntao system to me--it'd probably be interesting and useful. Obviously, it's impossible to tell with any certainty over the Internet, but nothing I saw there raised my suspicions.

OP
S

Shinryu

Originally posted by arnisador

Looks like a fairly standard kuntao system to me--it'd probably be interesting and useful. Obviously, it's impossible to tell with any certainty over the Internet, but nothing I saw there raised my suspicions.

But they call it White Crane Silat, not Kuntao. Is weird, because they say in the site the founder of this created WCS and is influenced by 4 other arts including Kuntao...
But I am no expert in this, that's why I asked .

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kuntao gives explicit credit for the Chinese influence, while silat is a fairly generic term for Indonesian or malysian fighting systems. It could be as simple as nationalism, or the founder's belief that it wasn't pure kung fu any more. Sorry, it's hard to say from a web page, but again nothing I saw rouse dmy suspicions. Check it out!

OP
S

Shinryu

Kuntao gives explicit credit for the Chinese influence, while silat is a fairly generic term for Indonesian or malysian fighting systems. It could be as simple as nationalism, or the founder's belief that it wasn't pure kung fu any more. Sorry, it's hard to say from a web page, but again nothing I saw rouse dmy suspicions. Check it out!

Thanks again...
So then Based on these 3 pages what do think the art is?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's kung fu, with an Indonesian silat influence. It looks similar to other such systems. They have a Chinese base but an unmistakeable Indonesian influence seen in some of the hand positions and the low low stances and ground-based techniques.

Again, I can only guess from what is there!

OP
S

Shinryu

I think it's kung fu, with an Indonesian silat influence. It looks similar to other such systems. They have a Chinese base but an unmistakeable Indonesian influence seen in some of the hand positions and the low low stances and ground-based techniques.

Again, I can only guess from what is there!

Yea, I was told that is just simply White Crane KungFu, but it can't be because White Crane KF is not like that. Although their Chinese-influence is very big & the indonesian influence is in some part , the org was created in Indonesian though. I know very little about it.
I wouldn't call it Kuntao, because the name is White Crane Silat, so meaning it might be more on White Crane than anything else, as it says in the website.
Let's see what i can find>

The White Crane Silat lineage is currently taught through Persatuan Gerak Badan (the Organization for Harmonious Body Movement), an Indonesian organization founded in 1952 by the late Grandmaster Subur Rahardja (Suhu). Born in 1925 to a martial arts family (clan) in Bogor, West Java, Suhu became a student of Silat from a very tender age. Suhu's uncle and first teacher, Liem Kim Bouw, was a martial arts master and respected healer. Later, Suhu studied under several other martial arts masters who came to live with his uncle during times of difficulty in Asia in the 1930's and 40's.

Suhu demonstrated prodigious talent for the martial arts from a very early age. He also demonstrated the extraordinary discipline necessary to learn various styles and to endure the rigorous years of study of martial arts often taught only in monasteries.

The Era of Development

The White Crane Silat lineage is currently taught through Persatuan Gerak Badan (the Organization for Harmonious Body Movement), an Indonesian organization founded in 1952 by the late Grandmaster Subur Rahardja (Suhu). Born in 1925 to a martial arts family (clan) in Bogor, West Java, Suhu became a student of Silat from a very tender age. Suhu's uncle and first teacher, Liem Kim Bouw, was a martial arts master and respected healer. Later, Suhu studied under several other martial arts masters who came to live with his uncle during times of difficulty in Asia in the 1930's and 40's.

Suhu demonstrated prodigious talent for the martial arts from a very early age. He also demonstrated the extraordinary discipline necessary to learn various styles and to endure the rigorous years of study of martial arts often taught only in monasteries.

According to one of Suhu's most famous teachers, Agung Gedeh Jelanktik, the former King of Lombok, he had mastered the external form of martial arts by the age of twenty. Suhu then went on to master the internal styles as well.

It is said that the current White Crane Silat style taught by PGB represents Suhu's synthesis of four martial arts styles with that of his original clan style of kun tao.

In the years following World War II, Suhu joined his country in the battle for independence. Suhu gained a reputation as a formidable fighter during the guerrilla campaign against the Dutch and English colonial powers. Due to his bravery and common sense, Suhu often found himself in the role of leader. Suhu naturally began to share his martial skills with his close friends and comrades during the struggle for independence.

From this close knit group of young fighters Suhu founded his first group of 18 students, known as the Block-18. This group provided the foundation for the forming of Persatuan Gerak Badan in 1952. Suhu chose the White Crane as the symbol of the school because the crane is a social animal which represents balance and grace, and only fights in self defense.

EUROPE this should give the information.. we are seeking, let's see

OP
C

confused

Go for it .............. it seemed pretty alright kung fu / silat

OP
S

Shinryu

Originally posted by confused

Go for it .............. it seemed pretty alright kung fu / silat

Do you have experience in Kung-Fu or Silat or Kuntao?
Did you check the site out?

OP
S

Shinryu

Hello.
I came back here to check out and see if any new members would give me some input according to the site and the links.:confused:

OP
S

Shinryu

I think we'll need you to try it out and let us know!

sure will do that, they don't respond to my emails no more

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
to the original poster : since you are in nyc there is also a white crane kung fu in chinatown, but it is not silat, they also have a website. i have never been to the school.

Kiai Carita

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am anewbie on this forum. I am from Indonesia and have been practising White Crane Silat for 22 years although till this day I have not yet recieved a belt. I actually belong to a theatre groupe affiliated with the silat school, not to the school itself. I practise silat not for fighting but for developing energy and sensitivity to be a better artist ( I am a painter and poet). For what I need I think that the system is very good. I recomend everyone to try and watch some lessons and join. For those who want fighting, the fighters amongst the students of the school are formidable.

Salam Silat

OP
S

silat

Shinryu,

White Crane silat is a combination of Silat, Kuntao, Kung Fu. I'm not going into a big history lesson here but here is some info.

Kuntao is Kung Fu so to speak. Kuntao is the older more combative term for certain Chinese fighting styles and has the same fighting mentality as Silat and why the two combine so well.

There are many Silat styles that have Kuntao in them but do not mention it and there are many Kuntao styles that have Silat in them that do not mention it as well.

I don't know which style of White Crane was incorporated, it may have been an older Kuntao version or a more modern Kung Fu style but it was created in Indonesia by both Silat & Kuntao/Kung Fu masters and so I would predict it to be a worth while style to study.

I have seen the style and talked with Bryce Carter and other members of this style and I have found no fault with it as a Silat/Kuntao mix.

Try it out and see how you like it.

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

OP
P

pekho

Well this discussion has been going on since 2003 but I have yet to see anyone show up to class because of it. There was another White Crane Silat discussion on this site where someone posted a few questions, and came to check out the class. That seems the best way to find out what the style is like.

We welcome anyone who wants to come and see what we do, but please understand, WCS is not a commercial endeavor. We are like a big family so coming to see us is like coming to my house. On Sundays my children and mother in law are there and the feeling is very much like an extended family gathering.

Josh

Latest Discussions