White Crane Connection

Nc1992

White Belt
Reaction score
Recently my YouTube feed suggested to me a channel called the Karate Nerd. Some interesting videos but his two latest ones have particularly got my attention. He is starting a video series traveling to China to explore the Chinese roots to Okinawan and Japanese Karate. I find the histories interesting but my reason for bringing it here is seen quite a bit through episode 2.

Episode 1:

Episode 2:

I’m only just hitting a full year studying WC and of course my mental focus has been mainly on the more technical aspect of things so I have not delved into the history as much yet, but I am very interested.

What little I have looked up includes several different telling of the history from different sources. One thing that is mentioned often is the connection to White Crane Kung Fu, but usually it’s a passing mention.

How connected are these two styles? And how do the connections fit? Also if anyone has good links on Wing Chun history please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are more than one system of White Crane, and these are completely different systems, not merely branches of the same system. They were developed by different people in different areas, who were each inspired in some way by the Crane, and ultimately developed a system and gave it the same name. But history and lineage and methods are different.

What is usually connected to wing Chun is the Fujian/Fukien Crane. I train the Tibetan Crane. Not the same thing.

OP
Nc1992

Nc1992

White Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are more than one system of White Crane, and these are completely different systems, not merely branches of the same system. They were developed by different people in different areas, who were each inspired in some way by the Crane, and ultimately developed a system and gave it the same name. But history and lineage and methods are different.

What is usually connected to wing Chun is the Fujian/Fukien Crane. I train the Tibetan Crane. Not the same thing.

True, and I think the episode made mention of the presence of different systems. I suppose my questions could have been more style specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions