White Crane beginner form, Lok Lik Kuen

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many empty hand forms are there in White Crane?
I’m not sure actually, and it depends on the specific lineage.

Ng Siu-chun named his adopted son, Tang Ja-Meng as his successor, but there were other students of his who were older and decided to split on their own. I believe some forms may have been developed in the context of specific lineages. One of our beginner forms (not one that I’ve posted) is specific to Luk Chi-Fu lineage, who was my sifu’s first teacher. Sifu later became disciple of Tang Ja-meng.

What I know is that Lok Lik Kuen has several variations, taught at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. I’ve learned several variations, and only practice a couple of them and may have forgotten one. Sifu told us that he has created his own version of that one as well, but I’ve not seen it and I do not know if he has taught it to anyone.

At beginner, we have a minimum of four, depending on how you count them. The really long one, chuit yap bo Kuen, which I posted a few days ago, is sometimes broken into two parts and the second part then goes by the name dai saat. Also, a couple versions of Lok lik Kuen could be taught at beginner, so you could count perhaps six sets at beginner, but I count it as four.

Intermediate has four, including a version of Lok Lik Kuen.

Ive not learned beyond intermediate, which is still a whole lot of material, and plenty to be a teacher.

I’m not sure how many are at advanced, and disciple level, but I think about four or five each. Sifu gave us a list of the sets, but it is packed away right now. Also, in his book, he mentions a couple of other forms that were not on his list, so I don’t know what their status is. And some of the forms are “little”, as in Siu Ng Ying, little five animals, which implies there is a big five animals, or else simply five animals. I’ve not seen that kind of counterpart in the lists or otherwise mentioned, so I don’t know if some things were dropped in history, or what.

At any rate, I would say in our lineage we have about 15-20, thereabouts. They all tend to be long, but Chuit yap bo Kuen is the longest.

We’ve got a good number of weapons too, but at east a couple were brought over by Sifu from his early Choy Lay Fut days.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’m not sure actually, and it depends on the specific lineage.

Ng Siu-chun named his adopted son, Tang Ja-Meng as his successor, but there were other students of his who were older and decided to split on their own. I believe some forms may have been developed in the context of specific lineages. One of our beginner forms (not one that I’ve posted) is specific to Luk Chi-Fu lineage, who was my sifu’s first teacher. Sifu later became disciple of Tang Ja-meng.

What I know is that Lok Lik Kuen has several variations, taught at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. I’ve learned several variations, and only practice a couple of them and may have forgotten one. Sifu told us that he has created his own version of that one as well, but I’ve not seen it and I do not know if he has taught it to anyone.

At beginner, we have a minimum of four, depending on how you count them. The really long one, chuit yap bo Kuen, which I posted a few days ago, is sometimes broken into two parts and the second part then goes by the name dai saat. Also, a couple versions of Lok lik Kuen could be taught at beginner, so you could count perhaps six sets at beginner, but I count it as four.

Intermediate has four, including a version of Lok Lik Kuen.

Ive not learned beyond intermediate, which is still a whole lot of material, and plenty to be a teacher.

I’m not sure how many are at advanced, and disciple level, but I think about four or five each. Sifu gave us a list of the sets, but it is packed away right now. Also, in his book, he mentions a couple of other forms that were not on his list, so I don’t know what their status is. And some of the forms are “little”, as in Siu Ng Ying, little five animals, which implies there is a big five animals, or else simply five animals. I’ve not seen that kind of counterpart in the lists or otherwise mentioned, so I don’t know if some things were dropped in history, or what.

At any rate, I would say in our lineage we have about 15-20, thereabouts. They all tend to be long, but Chuit yap bo Kuen is the longest.

We’ve got a good number of weapons too, but at east a couple were brought over by Sifu from his early Choy Lay Fut days.

And I thought my flavor of Yang Taijiquan had a lot at 3 empty hand sets and 4 weapons sets. But it can vary in Yang Taijiquan based on lineage as well. But I guess it makes up for having fewer forms by having one empty hand form that is supposed to take 15 to 20 to 30 minutes...if you do it right

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for posting those! I am a "similarities" kind of guy when viewing various forms. Not having been trained in White Crane to know the intricacies that I may have missed, it reminded me of the Jow Gar power rotation that I am more familiar with.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for posting those! I am a "similarities" kind of guy when viewing various forms. Not having been trained in White Crane to know the intricacies that I may have missed, it reminded me of the Jow Gar power rotation that I am more familiar with.
I think it probably is. Details may be different, but the overall approach is similar.