Which would you choose?

Joeandmich

White Belt
Reaction score
If you were to be given as a gift for Iaido class which Iaito would you pick?
A - Cheness Delux unsharpened carbon steel Iaito
B - handmadeswords.com "training katana #343"
C - Handmadeswords.com "Iaido Musashi Katana #163"
Remember this is a gift to be used for beginner Iaido class and they're all under $200.
thanks,

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Remember this is a gift to be used for beginner Iaido class and they're all under $200.
thanks,

There are many things that go into choosing an Iaito and I have found that usually anything under $200 is not what you want.(for various quality reasons) My first Iaito cost $275 and it was from Japan. (My teacher picked it out for me).

Have you asked the Iaido instructor what they would recomend? (Some schools have certain requirements for Iaito.)

The sizing (person to sword) is very important for various reasons ie: length, weight, ect. and can have a dramatic effect on things like Noto and Nukitsuke especially. Also kind of metal, fittings, tsukimaki material, balance ect. all come into play and should be considered when buying an Iaito. It is not as easy as one might think.

Of the three you listed I would not recomend any of them because:

I'm not the teacher and ultimately he/she will have the responsibility of the class's safety during practice.

This is the Iaito I purchased when I first started Iaido and was approved by my Instructor. I can confidently say that this is a good beginner sword for Iaido and lasted and is still lasting me after 1000's of cuts

http://www.samurai-store.com/sword/002/index.html

I'm not saying go and buy this sword, I'm just saying it's the one I have.

If you buy an inferior made sword it can be very dangerous for you and your fellow Iai students.

I've heard stories of mekugi pins (the bamboo pins that hold the blade in the handle) on cheaper blades breaking and letting the blade come loose from the tsuka (handle) during a cut, resulting in a flying blade...VERY VERY BAD thing to happen.

Bottom line is talk to the Instructor and get their recomendation for a sword (Iaito) purchase.

Michael

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bottom line is talk to the Instructor and get their recomendation for a sword (Iaito) purchase.

Quoted for truth.

Absolutely get the instructor's recommendation. Please don't think that this is a decision that is less important because the student is a beginner or because the iaito is a practice blade. Iaido can be an expensive art because the quality of the blades are of paramount importance to proper use and safety.

"If you don't realize you can kill someone with a bokken, I don't want you using one in MY dojo." - Sensei Frederick Lovret

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the person starting the class is not sure that they are going to stick at it then really it is a waste of money to buy even a cheap iaito.

If they are committed to developing their skill in the art then it is best to buy an iaito of as good a quality as can be afforded.

Many of us have made the mistake of buying 'cheap' because "I'm only a beginner" and have had to upgrade as our skill levels increased and we realised the 'defects' in the cheaper swords.

Altho' when you start out you might not be able to tell much difference in use between an inexpensive iaito and a top grade one, it is a better plan to begin with the best you can afford and let your skill grow into the weapon.

I always recommend Tozando for iaito. They're what I've had most hands-on experience with and their build quality is excellent (whereas the iaito from other manufacturers have exhibited various problems).

http://www.tozandoshop.com/Articles.asp?ID=155

OP
J

Joeandmich

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice.

And yes I realize I can kill somone with a bokken, but then I can kill somone with my hand...so its all relative.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd want a sharp blade, i love the sound of it cutting through the air. Good for waking up the neighbors.

I have the musashi ichi. It's great for the price. The tsuba is just a ring and one may have to get used to the feel of the edges of the ring on ones hand.
Also, one can stick things through the spaces in the tsuba...but whatever.

There are many great swords for relatively affordable prices nowadays-

I'd choose a sharp blade. One thing i like about the musashi is the long handle and the two mekugi

j

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would choose neither as well. No offense intended, but the ones indicated are crap. Period.

Almost eleven years ago I paid $575 for a Kenefusa iaito out of Japan. Six years ago I paid $800 for a shinken out of China. Both are great quality and have great balance. I have never had a problem with them. The fittings are solid.

It’s great that you want to give an iaito as a gift, but as everyone else has said, talk to sensei first. You’ll be using a bokken for a few months to begin with anyway, and as the drop out rate is huge during the first six months, I wouldn’t spend any $$ just yet. The iaito may just end up in a closet somewhere.

I use http://sdksupplies.com/ for ALL my MA needs.

I wouldn’t get a sharp blade just yet, certainly not to start off. Get at least five years training in before you get a shinken, IMHO. I know people training for 20 years, who have never owned a sharp blade, it’s just not necessary.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd want a sharp blade, i love the sound of it cutting through the air. Good for waking up the neighbors.
The sound is caused by the bohi on the sides, and has absolutely nothing to do with whether a sword is sharp or not.

I'd choose a sharp blade.
There are very few dojo that start beginning students out with a sharp blade, and the ones that do so would NOT allow a cheap sharp blade to be used. THe only conclusion that I can come to from your post is that you've never studied under a legitimate instructor, and therefore have no real idea what you're talking about.

I've got to agree with the previous posters and say D. None of the above. I do not allow either of those makers in the dojo for everyday practice.

P.S. Smooth plug there Ken! :D

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
P.S. Smooth plug there Ken! :D

:)
It's my sensei's business not mine!!! i have never made a dime off of it, but whats good for sensei. It actually helps fund the seminars kim puts on so....

and lets be honest he makes and sells damn fine equipment!:ultracool

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... and lets be honest he makes and sells damn fine equipment!
I absolutely agree with you there! I bought a bokuto from Kim back in 1997, and I've not bought one from anywhere else since. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
thanks,
As stated earlier, the grip and tang are where inexpensive swords are usually skimped on.

Very often, inexpensive katanas have a threaded shaft welded to a stub and a nut with a washer holding the grip to it, likely filled with epoxy. Not a good choice.

I own a fairly inexpensive unsharpened blade that I use for kata. I inspected it very carefully and the handle was of prime concern. It was over 200, but the grip was very well made and traditional. The drawback? Heavier than it should be.

Be very careful once you get below two hundred. Personally, I would treat such weapons as what they are: nice decorative pieces.

Daniel

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not buy any of them.

Instead talk with the instructor and get his/her recommendation
Further as other people have said here it's best to go slow with this and not waste money. Most of us that have been doing this for a while have wasted money that I am sure we would all like back! Good luck!