Which Uniform to Buy?

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So do you really need that double-weave when doing aikido? Inquiring minds want to know. Also, any suggestions for a brand with a roomy fit under $80? Thanks.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most definetly don't need the double knit at all. I would, however, suggest something in the medium weight or even heavy weight (that's what I wear) department. I've always just ordered from the AWMA magazines around the dojo but any reputable supplier would do. If the roomy fit is very important then order it 1/2 size larger than you really need as most will shrink a little even when washed in cold water.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As it turns out the double weave jacket is not needed, but where you shouldn't skimp is with the pants. With all the shiko-walking on your knees done in aikido, pants tend to wear out quickly. I recommend buying a reinforced pair of pants, so perhaps it is worth it to buy a nice double-weave uniform if the pants that come with them are suitable.

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I normally use a middleweight gi from Century Martial Arts Supplies. I find they have great supplies, esspecially lately (they have made their gi's heavier). You could also use the heavywieght if you like, I personally find Century's heavyweight a bit too heavy for me, lol. They are ussually pretty reasonably priced, which is the most important thing for alot of us, lol.

Latest Discussions