Which training type has the most injuries?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. There is an element of hard training that incurs risk that is managed by safe training methods.

But there is risk all the same. I don't know fighters who haven't pulled injuries in training.

Well of course, there's injuries in training but smart training hopefully will cut the stupid injuries out or cut the stupid fighters out. :D
A notable UK UFC fighter a short while before he was due to fight got a case of road rage and smashed a cars windscreen with his fist, he broke his hand, he does have anger issues lol but he had to pull out of his fight because of a 'training injury'.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well of course, there's injuries in training but smart training hopefully will cut the stupid injuries out or cut the stupid fighters out. :D
A notable UK UFC fighter a short while before he was due to fight got a case of road rage and smashed a cars windscreen with his fist, he broke his hand, he does have anger issues lol but he had to pull out of his fight because of a 'training injury'.

we have had one guy break his hand on a guys elbow.

one guy get knocked out and got a blood clot in his knee.

one guy in another gym tore his knee. And still fought.

I know a wrestler that had his arms broken training for a comp.

None of this was tee hee. "training" injuries. They are the risks of hard training.

And turning up to work with black eyes is just a thing here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we have had one guy break his hand on a guys elbow.

one guy get knocked out and got a blood clot in his knee.

one guy in another gym tore his knee. And still fought.

I know a wrestler that had his arms broken training for a comp.

None of this was tee hee. "training" injuries. They are the risks of hard training.

And turning up to work with black eyes is just a thing here.

Military Commanding Officers tend not to like their soldiers being unfit for duty due to injuries outside their normal 'work'. Chief constables tend not to like it either so I tended to wear a bit more makeup on the days I caught a knee to the face etc. Our civvie students have to work so injuries aren't good, sick pay isn't very much.

Interestingly when the men got bruises, lumps and bumps to their faces people either laughed or assumed, rightly, that it was just training. If I did people would very carefully look away from my face though one person did take me aside and ask if I needed help, the assumption being I was being abused by a partner. However some of my bruises came from my work too, my front tooth is still stuck in with superglue after a punch I blocked with my face, didn't go down, I told the guy, who we did get, that my instructor punches me harder than he did.

Hitting/kicking elbows and hips is never good. We used to have broken toes when we had old judo mats but that stopped more or less when we got jigsaw ones.
But we manage injuries as much as we can, we train hard but smart, any idiot can train like...well, an idiot.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ben left some of his teeth in the cage after this, he got cleaned up and changed the went to work as a door supervisor straight after.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Military Commanding Officers tend not to like their soldiers being unfit for duty due to injuries outside their normal 'work'.
I haven't had any debilitating injuries due to my training but I've shown up to work with plenty of bruises, mat burn, etc visibly on me. I got asked for awhile with me saying "I train BJJ...". Eventually everyone stopped asking.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You'll probably pull a muscle while grappling or get a bruise during stand-up (striking) if your partner overdoes it. They're somewhat common, but they're not supposed to happen. Pre-fight preparation and conditioning is supposed to build you up, not leave you walking into the ring feeling sore. About 3-4 weeks before you'll probably be going all out and sweating yourself out on the mats/flooring, but in the last 1-2 weeks before they event you'll want to take it down a notch, unless fighting in a fatigued state is cool with you, which in the sport, really isn't.

Overloading muscles is common practice for conditioning training, but most coaches advocate safe training (thus avoiding unnecessary setbacks) with practices like joint mobility exercises for warm-up and active recovery, and post-training stretching to keep everything from locking up and going sore the next day. This is the standard in the sport, from Martin Rooney to Ross Enamait. Mark Hatmaker was also a big advocate of safe training. It's smart. While the chances of you getting injured in HIIT are slim, you may feel a little sore after pumping iron on the barbells (no benches, please). That's normal though, and doesn't really count as an injury.

So there. Pulled (and sometimes overly sore and fatigued) muscles from working your grapple-game or working with heavier loads for conditioning, or the occasional bruise, sore or even cut from your striking game. Part of the sport, and nothing really serious. Training for combat sport over the years has taken in a lot of science, so you get dividends on your preparation up to the fight and are more than capable of bringing the pain when you're actually there - in 100% top shape, ideally.

Qualifications for my post:
Sambo/MMA Fighter
Former Judoka

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll probably pull a muscle while grappling or get a bruise during stand-up (striking) if your partner overdoes it. They're somewhat common, but they're not supposed to happen. Pre-fight preparation and conditioning is supposed to build you up, not leave you walking into the ring feeling sore. About 3-4 weeks before you'll probably be going all out and sweating yourself out on the mats/flooring, but in the last 1-2 weeks before they event you'll want to take it down a notch, unless fighting in a fatigued state is cool with you, which in the sport, really isn't.

Overloading muscles is common practice for conditioning training, but most coaches advocate safe training (thus avoiding unnecessary setbacks) with practices like joint mobility exercises for warm-up and active recovery, and post-training stretching to keep everything from locking up and going sore the next day. This is the standard in the sport, from Martin Rooney to Ross Enamait. Mark Hatmaker was also a big advocate of safe training. It's smart. While the chances of you getting injured in HIIT are slim, you may feel a little sore after pumping iron on the barbells (no benches, please). That's normal though, and doesn't really count as an injury.

So there. Pulled (and sometimes overly sore and fatigued) muscles from working your grapple-game or working with heavier loads for conditioning, or the occasional bruise, sore or even cut from your striking game. Part of the sport, and nothing really serious. Training for combat sport over the years has taken in a lot of science, so you get dividends on your preparation up to the fight and are more than capable of bringing the pain when you're actually there - in 100% top shape, ideally.

Qualifications for my post:
Sambo/MMA Fighter
Former Judoka

Nice post. :) we used to have a 'thank you' function on the old site, it's gone so Thank You for this!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post. :) we used to have a 'thank you' function on the old site, it's gone so Thank You for this!
The function is actually still present, and even expanded. If you look at the lower left corner of the post, you'll see a row of buttons. You can "Like" a post, "Agree" with it, rate it as "Funny" or "Useful" and, of course, there are some negative ones. Unfortunately, you can only rate it through that function with one category, so you can like it or agree with it... but not both. (It's kind of combined the old Like, Thank You and reputation systems.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The function is actually still present, and even expanded. If you look at the lower left corner of the post, you'll see a row of buttons. You can "Like" a post, "Agree" with it, rate it as "Funny" or "Useful" and, of course, there are some negative ones. Unfortunately, you can only rate it through that function with one category, so you can like it or agree with it... but not both. (It's kind of combined the old Like, Thank You and reputation systems.)

I know but I liked the 'thank you' button, it's the polite Brit thing :)

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Diolch, cariad! :) (Thanks, darling!)

Agree! One should not sweat in the last 3 days before his event.
Absolutely. Personally I just drill escapes, transitions, blocks, checks and shadow box in the last 1-3 days before a bout. For active recovery it's usually just jump-rope or running. :) Definitely nothing too heavy.

Latest Discussions