Which style of karate would you consider most “complete”

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suspect some of it comes down to how we actually taste things. There's plenty of evidence that what we actually taste is inconsistent between individuals. To me, there's a commonality in all whisk(e)y, and I tend to like nearly any of them to varying degrees. It could just be that you taste some component in Scotch that I do not. Do you like any whiskey?
Nope. Just Crown Royal and Maker’s Mark (bourbon). No idea why I like those and can’t drink anything else.

Tequila is worse. It’s got a taste that stays in my throat all nigh and has me gagging. Doesn’t matter if it’s the only drink (meaning one drink) I’ve had all night - there’s a great chance I’ll throw up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Just Crown Royal and Maker’s Mark (bourbon). No idea why I like those and can’t drink anything else.

Tequila is worse. It’s got a taste that stays in my throat all nigh and has me gagging. Doesn’t matter if it’s the only drink (meaning one drink) I’ve had all night - there’s a great chance I’ll throw up.
Next time I'm at my mom's, I'll have to try some of my step-dad's Maker's Mark, to see if I can taste what's different. You certainly taste something different in tequila that I don't taste.

This thread is titled "The Physiology of Taste with Whiskey and Whisky", right?

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Interesting stuff. I like most every American whiskey I've tried but I really don't understand the appeal of Maker's Mark and I don't just mean it's appeal to you, a lot of people really claim to like it. I can drink it but would generally prefer any cheap bourbon out of the well and really like a lot of things that are cheaper. On the other hand, I do like Crown Royal and it's almost the only Canadian whiskey I'll drink at any price. As far as tequila goes, there are some really bad ones out there especially when they flavor it with something else, cut it with grain alcohol to keep the price down or add caramel coloring to make it look like an aged tequila. A good, true 100% agave tequila with no adulterants is something I can really enjoy.

We both agree about the Sierra Nevada, it's very hard to beat as a good all around go to beer. When I was in college my aunt owned a cabin up near Lake Tahoe which is only ~100 miles from the Sierra Nevada brewery as the crow flies. There was a really great pizza place right on the lake that had Sierra Nevada on tap, and I've got to say, it's even better draught. I miss visiting my cousins, sitting by the lake with really good pizza and a pitcher of Sierra Nevada, those were good times!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scotch - no.
Bourbon - yes. Jack Daniels is a favorite. Like some local beer-barrel type bourbons also.
Beer - Guinness, Leinenkugel, Negra Modelo, San Miguel. A few local beers, mostly stouts.
Wine - no.
Gin - whatever rotgut I happen to find.
Vodka - same as gin.
Tequila - no.

I don't do fancy. Like my martial arts, I would rather block and punch and go home. No 540 spins, no high-flying whatever, no knee over toe holds, no suplexes. Just hit and git. Same with my beer. These days I'm a three beer man anyway. Drink one, spill one, give one away.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be honest I haven't met any that are like that, some may be over enthusiastic but never to that extent but then there's not the same amount of money to be made in Europe as in the US.
I am surprised. It sounds like you have a lot more dojo/dojangs there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised. It sounds like you have a lot more dojo/dojangs there.

Like a lot of sports and activities here, most martial arts are amateur and not for profit. The childcare laws mean that while we have children's classes they aren't child care, so there's not the money to be made in the same way as the US style martial arts schools,

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like a lot of sports and activities here, most martial arts are amateur and not for profit. The childcare laws mean that while we have children's classes they aren't child care, so there's not the money to be made in the same way as the US style martial arts schools,
Yes, I had a hard time with schools that offer after school programs for a while. If they are truly teaching their craft, and at the same time offering a service that helps parents it is hard for me to find fault. Frankly, it is a brilliant marketing plan. But it is still hard for this old fart to fully get on board with that kind of program.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I had a hard time with schools that offer after school programs for a while. If they are truly teaching their craft, and at the same time offering a service that helps parents it is hard for me to find fault. Frankly, it is a brilliant marketing plan. But it is still hard for this old fart to fully get on board with that kind of program.
People wouldn’t criticize them nearly as much if they actually taught martial arts. At least MAists on places like this wouldn’t criticize as much.

There’s one 3 blocks from my work. Several of my current and former students go/went there (I’m a school teacher, not MA teacher). I checked it out one day, and here’s what I saw...

A bunch of Range Rovers outside (they’re not the practical UK version, they’re the $100k version that never see a “Range”). “TKD moms” in their high-end fashionable yoga clothes holding their Starbucks coffee in one hand and their bag with their chihuahua in it in the other hand, talking about how great their kid is and “your kid’s coming along too.”

4 classes going on simultaneously on the same floor, each one lead by a high school sophomore/junior at best. One black belt walking laps around the floor, but talking to the crowd of moms far more than anyone else.

The noise was like that sound coming from a playground at recess.

And I wouldn’t call anything I saw very “martial.”

They pick the kids up from school, let them play in the playground out back (yes, they actually have one), do homework in a designated room, then “TKD it up” before it’s time for mommy to get them.

I guess there’s far worse places to be between school and when their parents are done at work. Although honestly, I didn’t see many people there who looked like they were just getting out of work, unless work is yoga and chihuahua grooming.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
A bunch of Range Rovers outside (they’re not the practical UK version, they’re the $100k version that never see a “Range”). “TKD moms” in their high-end fashionable yoga clothes holding their Starbucks coffee in one hand and their bag with their chihuahua in it in the other hand, talking about how great their kid is and “your kid’s coming along too.”

Hahahahahaha, laughed at this, know exactly what you mean XD

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I drink Rolling Rock beer, either Gray Goose vodka or Costco’ s Kirkland vodka, and some red wine at times.

I never drank anything until I was in my fifties. Finally I realize why all my friends were always in a good mood.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I drink Rolling Rock beer, either Gray Goose vodka or Costco’ s Kirkland vodka, and some red wine at times.

I never drank anything until I was in my fifties. Finally I realize why all my friends were always in a good mood.
Not a fan of Rolling Rock but you are singing my song with the Gray Goose. Never heard of the Kirkland vodka. I earlier did a toast with red wine. Not my flavor.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I once had a doctor suggest increasing my red wine intake, to improve my good cholesterol. Best prescription I ever had.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They pick the kids up from school, let them play in the playground out back (yes, they actually have one), do homework in a designated room, then “TKD it up” before it’s time for mommy to get them.

We have before and after school clubs here which are regulated and the staff qualified to look after children, they are registered and inspected as well. Sports clubs are exempt because they must be just sport coaching and are time limited, no more than two hour classes. (If one goes down the childcare route it's going to be a huge effort getting it up to standard.) They can't pick them up from school etc. just coach whatever the club does, no playing, no homework etc. Here all child minders and those who look after children including nannies have to register with Ofsted. Registration requirements - Childminders and childcare providers: register with Ofsted - Guidance - GOV.UK

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have before and after school clubs here which are regulated and the staff qualified to look after children, they are registered and inspected as well. Sports clubs are exempt because they must be just sport coaching and are time limited, no more than two hour classes. (If one goes down the childcare route it's going to be a huge effort getting it up to standard.) They can't pick them up from school etc. just coach whatever the club does, no playing, no homework etc. Here all child minders and those who look after children including nannies have to register with Ofsted. Registration requirements - Childminders and childcare providers: register with Ofsted - Guidance - GOV.UK
The childcare areas aren't as tightly regulated here. I don't know for sure, but I don't think even actual childcare centers - those advertising as such - are regulated as tightly.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The childcare areas aren't as tightly regulated here. I don't know for sure, but I don't think even actual childcare centers - those advertising as such - are regulated as tightly.
I know a few people who run childcare out of their homes. Not babysitting a few kids, but actual daycare and after school care. There’s quite a bit of regulation. And inspection.

But then again, I’m in New York State. We LOVE to regulate everything. Everyone wants to regulate the hell out of everything and everyone. Yet somehow, no one wants to be told what to do.

I’m not sure if the after school TKD places sidestep the regulations somehow or not.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a few people who run childcare out of their homes. Not babysitting a few kids, but actual daycare and after school care. There’s quite a bit of regulation. And inspection.

But then again, I’m in New York State. We LOVE to regulate everything. Everyone wants to regulate the hell out of everything and everyone. Yet somehow, no one wants to be told what to do.

I’m not sure if the after school TKD places sidestep the regulations somehow or not.
You guys even have different insurance regulations from literally every other state. When I was in insurance, we had to use different carriers and products for NY.

So maybe it is more heavily regulated there. Or maybe I just don't know how much regulation there is. I do know that around here the after-school MA programs seem to be subject to little or no regulation. It might vary based on what they do (my old school just has classes at that time, no pick-up, play room, etc.).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A trick a friend of mine does to save money on buying premium vodka vs more average stuff:

He pours it through a Brita pitcher/filter. Seriously.

I thought it was kind of ghetto, but the realized this is pretty much exactly what the distillers do. I’m pretty sure they filter their vodka through charcoal/carbon whatever is in those things. Pouring it through a Brita pitcher isn’t any different.

And no, he’s not using $5/gallon vodka and getting Gray Goose results. He’s getting Gray Goose-like results pouring Smirnoff through it once or twice. I’m not vodka connoisseur, but an a/b test is definitely easy to taste the difference without doubt.

He pours it through the pitcher once or twice and funnels it back into the bottle. It’s his “one glass of wine every night.”

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You guys even have different insurance regulations from literally every other state. When I was in insurance, we had to use different carriers and products for NY.

So maybe it is more heavily regulated there. Or maybe I just don't know how much regulation there is. I do know that around here the after-school MA programs seem to be subject to little or no regulation. It might vary based on what they do (my old school just has classes at that time, no pick-up, play room, etc.).
We have different everything. And everything gets regulated beyond all recognition. And by people who don’t know anything about what they’re regulating. Examples could be considered political, so I’ll stay away from them.

As far as the place I mentioned, I don’t see how they don’t fall under daycare regulations if they’re not. I’d love to inquire formally, if I have no horse in that race. And it could make them look at EVERYONE in MA. God knows we need more regulations.

And people wonder why the taxes are so high here vs places like you live. People who’ve grown up and stayed here their entire lives don’t realize how bad it is compared to elsewhere.