Which style of karate would you consider most “complete”

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
which style of karate would you consider most complete in regards to all around self defense and realistic application?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is important is finding a good instructor, putting in the work, and experience in applying what you learn.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one you actually train in. As opposed to just asking the same question different ways.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where might a fellow get such a bottle? And how much might it set one back?

There's a shop near me that carries the 20 year old stuff all the time, and can get the 40 if I ask for it. The 40 year old stuff is about $250 a bottle, so you might imagine I don't ask for it very often. The 20 year old is about $50.
I'm also partial to De Amore liqueurs. I think the lemon is my favorite, but the orange is also very good.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really like Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. They stopped brewing it a while back.

Depending on my mood and if I had to really narrow it down, my favorite bottle would be a toss up between Cooperstown Brewery’s Benchwarmer Porter and Old Slugger Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada’s Porter of Pale Ale. Yeah, I’m mainly a Porter and Pale Ale fan. Don’t care much at all for IPA.

Anchor makes a great Porter too. And a local brewery - Brown’s in Troy, NY makes a great oatmeal stout. I’m not a fan of putting stuff other than malts and hops in beer, but oatmeal in stout is somewhat acceptable overall to me. I’m ok with a flavored beer for about a pint, but I can’t drink any more of it than that.

My father loves his single malt scotch. I can’t drink it.

That reminds me, I’ve got to get him a bottle for Christmas. Any recommendations for a $50-$70-ish bottle? He gives me a hard time when I spend more than that. No Glenfiddich or Macallen.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
None of them..

I have to disagree... Ameri-Do-Tae with it's Hurticane and groin stumps, haha

Its more about school than style. Different instructors develop different understandings of the material.

I agree... Take the any art and style with two different instructors and you'll see alot of differences depending on their emphasis...

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a shop near me that carries the 20 year old stuff all the time, and can get the 40 if I ask for it. The 40 year old stuff is about $250 a bottle, so you might imagine I don't ask for it very often. The 20 year old is about $50.
I'm also partial to De Amore liqueurs. I think the lemon is my favorite, but the orange is also very good.
I'm a big porto fan myself but I am not partial to the tawny's. To me, the older the tawny the more of the wood (oak barrel) I can taste. I much prefer the vintage ruby's but they are rather pricey. Very smooth and characteristically very different from a regular ruby and or LBV. Vintage ruby's are not everyday porto's for me though (I wish). Graham's LBV is a porto with good value if you haven't tried it. It is closer akin to a ruby than a tawny but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It will depend alot on the actual school and quality of the instructors
and many styles in theory are well rounded but they do have some core differences in strengths and weaknesses
Some aspect of some major sub styles of karate

Goju Ryu - focuses on blending hard and soft elements of fighting, trapping hands, hojo undo conditioning, and some weapons work
Kyokushin - is a hard strong style with a strong fighting spirit and good punches and kicks
Shito Ryu - has many informative katas and typical fast straight forward movements
Shorin Ryu - is the okinawan version of shaoling kung fu
Shotokan - has great basic techniques, and very solid stances
Wado Ryu - doesnt focus on hard sparing but rather body movement to avoid many attacks

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wado Ryu - doesnt focus on hard sparing but rather body movement to avoid many attacks

You'd probably better tell my instructors we don't focus on hard sparring! it might not be 'focus' as much but we certainly spar hard and many times with hard if not full contact.
It is going, always, to depend on instructors, not just style. Wado Ryu also has take downs and many jiujutsu techniques imbedded in it from the founder.

Latest Discussions