Which martial art do you think is best for overall physical conditioning/fitness?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably taebo
Yeah probably. thing is exercise classes will get you in better shape than martial arts. Simply because exercise classes all you need is the exercise so you're just constantly non stop working out but in martial arts you need to stop and listen for periods of time so it's not constant all the time.

OP
E

Earthsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
It can be said of every single martial art in existence. That's why the question is so pointless there's no real answer

[Sigh] every thread has to have one of these smarta**** .

No, not every martial art in existence is 'extremely aerobic' and you can't say of all of them that 'you never stop moving'.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

No, not every martial art in existence is 'extremely aerobic' and you can't say of all of them that 'you never stop moving'.
They could all be it completely all depends on the teacher same as anything. That's just the truth of it, just plain facts sorry if you don't like it (I'm not really) but it's the truth. No not every club has a focus on fitness but every style has the POTENTIAL for it

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm confused. If you know so much about all martial arts, why are you asking us the questions you are asking in this thread. You should be able to tell us what you are asking.

OP
E

Earthsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused. If you know so much about all martial arts, why are you asking us the questions you are asking in this thread. You should be able to tell us what you are asking.

Since when do you have to be some sort of expert to know that some MA are less aerobic than others?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Generally speaking, any combat sport will be ok. All options you mention are potentially good.

Then, if you really want fitness, check the instructors background (may have some degree or specific experience in this field), check the training itself and do train 3-4 a week.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well he was looking into studying Kung fu in 2015...so that's 3 years to now know everything lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since when do you have to be some sort of expert to know that some MA are less aerobic than others?
well no he is right, fighting or spirited sparring, is amongst the hardest sporting challenges, to that degree, it makes little difference if your spending three mins doing tkd, kung fu or boxing, your just as nackered, at the end

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well you don't need to be an expert or anything, but it doesn't take too long to realize the fitness portion of any class is independent of what skills are being taught.

Even the drills(the skills part) can be done at all levels of intensity.

The style you are training in has 0 things to do with it..unless the art itself IS a fitness program.

..which is why I said taebo.

OP
E

Earthsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
well no he is right, fighting or spirited sparring, is amongst the hardest sporting challenges, to that degree, it makes little difference if your spending three mins doing tkd, kung fu or boxing, your just as nackered, at the end

Even aikido? Not quite...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They're all good. That's why you never see any out of shape black belts in Martial Arts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was my point.
your point was fitness, ? Aerobic is only a very small part of that, you won't get far in boxing or mt if all your got is aerobic fitness, and anyway I've seen a lit of boxing matches, where nothing much at all happens

Latest Discussions