Which martial art do you think is best for overall physical conditioning/fitness?

Earthsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
I've done a bit of research about this online and people tend to stay that it's boxing, MMA, and muay thai (and if these three are the ones then I presume kickboxing can be added too, right?). Do you agree? If yes, what are the different strengths of the three when it comes to this?

Here are some things that I've been told:

-boxing and MMA are the best for agility because they involve A LOT more footwork than the other two
-muay thai is the best to the extent that it's even more high intensity than the others
-physical conditioning actually plays the highest role in MMA training

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Chinese wrestling uses more weight equipment training than any MA system. The wrestling sport is using your muscle to deal with your opponent's body weight.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you just want physical fitness and agility there are far better and faster ways to get that than any MA at all...

With any you've listed, the actual fitness aspect is almost separate from the martial aspect.

You have to be fit to be any good at them, and they give you a reason to get fit and stay that way, but 'doing' the art itself won't make you fit.

Think of it this way, boxers famously use skipping ropes - skipping isn't directly part of punching someone in the face.

Attend some classes, the fitness parts (running, plyo, iso, stretching, etc.) aren't all that related.

Also, there are different forms of fitness - I can't box for long because I get knackered, but I can kick for a fair while... We've had runners come to class who blast the warmup and conditioning exercises but fall apart once they're punching and kicking (and I can't run well for long either).

Basically, boxing is best to develop boxing fitness, MMA is best for MMA fitness, MT is best for MT fitness ;)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Chinese wrestling uses more weight equipment training than any MA system. The wrestling sport is using your muscle to deal with your opponent's body weight.

Ah, but can they kick you in the head, repeatedly, for an hour?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No! But I only talk about weight equipment training.

- function strength,
- grip strength,
- arm strength,
- leg strength,

Which helps highlight what I said...

I probably can't do what they do.

They probably can't do what I do.

Different types of fitness and strength.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've done a bit of research about this online and people tend to stay that it's boxing, MMA, and muay thai (and if these three are the ones then I presume kickboxing can be added too, right?). Do you agree? If yes, what are the different strengths of the three when it comes to this?

-boxing and MMA are the best for agility because they involve A LOT more footwork than the other two
-muay thai is the best to the extent that it's even more high intensity than the others
Well yes, what youve said is probebly true, well apart from the last bit, those are competition arts, that is if your going to do a series of 3/4 minete rounds you need to be extremly fit, or at least as fit as the other guy or you will get beaten up.

If your of low to average fitness, then most ma will be challenging to you, and theres no limit to the amount of fitness you can achieve, but you may have to do at least some of that away from class, but thats also true of the ones you mention, if you want to be y good, then additional training will be required..

there are people at my class( karate) who attend, as thats there hour of exercise for the week, and others who treat class day as a rest day, from Their other fitness activerties, its probebly possible to do any of them and not gain much more than average fitness, as the determination to get fit,is what you take with you, not what they give out at the class

If its fitness you want rather than an ability to fight, there are probebly better ways of obtaining it, doing gymnastics for instance, Or free running,or even one of those boxersize classess

Last edited:
OP
E

Earthsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
If you just want physical fitness and agility there are far better and faster ways to get that than any MA at all...;)

But I also want good self defense.

I know this is going to sound mind blowingly idiosyncratic but the main reason I want to start training in a martial art is not because I have a HUGE love for fighting but because: a) I'm a fitness 'fanatic' (it's just one of my passions in life) and b) I want to be able to be able to take care of myself well in case I get attacked on the street.

In my 'humble' opinion I tend to agree that these 4 MAs are best for physical fitness and atm I'm leaning towards taking up muay thai because, again, in my 'humble' opinion, it seems to be the best for self defense since it utilizes so many different types of strikes as well as clinch and a wide variety of defenses.

Side note: I also thought of just doing intense fitness training + krav maga

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But I also want good self defense.

I know this is going to sound mind blowingly idiosyncratic but the main reason I want to start training in a martial art is not because I have a HUGE love for fighting but because: a) I'm a fitness 'fanatic' (it's just one of my passions in life) and b) I want to be able to be able to take care of myself well in case I get attacked on the street.

In my 'humble' opinion I tend to agree that these 4 MAs are best for physical fitness and atm I'm leaning towards taking up muay thai because, again, in my 'humble' opinion, it seems to be the best for self defense since it utilizes so many different types of strikes as well as clinch and a wide variety of defenses.

Side note: I also thought of just doing intense fitness training + krav maga
Well go do it, mt,seems to fit all your goals, there is the slight downside that your going to have someone trying to punch your lights out,

OP
E

Earthsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
Well go do it, mt,seems to fit all your goals, there is the slight downside that your going to have someone trying to punch your lights out,

I know....and I'm ok with it...as well as doing it to someone else.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will get out, what you put in...regardless of the art.

Your physical fitness will be dependent on how hard you push yourself and your intensity.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

All martial arts are good for this. The elements that you stated are not specific to any martial arts training. However, different schools train with different focuses. Kung fu schools aren't trying to produce fighters so the training at most schools like that will be less than what is done at schools that train to grow professional fighters or serious fighters. Regardless of the school, the training focus of that school's is going to determine by what type of student they are trying to grow.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The one with the teacher that has the most focus on fitness

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Probably taebo

OP
E

Earthsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
It is extremely aerobic, you use tons of body-weight exercises and techniques and strengthen the entire body, and you never stop moving.

Could the same thing be said of kung fu, particularly the nothern styles?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could the same thing be said of kung fu, particularly the nothern styles?
It can be said of every single martial art in existence. That's why the question is so pointless there's no real answer

Latest Discussions