Which Knife is your Favorite to carry?

K

krys

I think it foolish to always train with the same kind of knive.
I like to train with different knives (from the kitchen knive to the kryss), changing hands and grip feels different with different knives.

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis

D

dreamthief

I still like my hand-me-down balisong that i've had since April 04 '89. She's never let me down.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you guys should check out the Gunting Knife. I had the pleasure of training with Bram Frank at the symposium in Buffalo NY for a little bit, just to get a flavor of the Gunting. It was pretty cool.

The downside that people will say is that you sort of have to "relearn" how to use the knife because of how unique it is. It just has more "bells and whistles" then your average folder. Also, although very high quality, it can be pricy.

I don't think having to "relearn" the tool is a bad thing at all, however, because most people who play with knives, or who carry aren't as aquanted with their tool as they should be. Most people train with trainer knives in class that don't resemble the folders that they carry (I am guilty of this myself, so I have to supplement with drawing drills, etc.). The Gunting has a trainer that is identicle to the real thing, so you can practice kenetic opening (I believe that is what it's called), drawing, "gunting," and utilization of the "ramp," etc., all on your partner in a training session.

Another good one is the Emerson that Renegade mentioned. The opening mechinism in that one is friggin sweet, and fairly easy to get proficient at if you own one.

At the moment I carry just your average folder made by gerber, when I carry. It's not bad for an inexpensive knife. Usually I don't carry, though; there is always something around me that can be turned into a weapon if need be.

:asian:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lately.

I'v been carrying my unsharp training knife. Mostly to train a little bit when I take breaks from work or during lunch, But actually it could be used for defense purposes if needed, and it probably would be considered less lethal in a legal situaltion than a live blade.

Andy

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisandyz
Lately.

I'v been carrying my unsharp training knife. Mostly to train a little bit when I take breaks from work or during lunch, But actually it could be used for defense purposes if needed, and it probably would be considered less lethal in a legal situaltion than a live blade.

Andy

The unsharpened gunting Red Handle?

Bram also had what he called "a working tool" as opposed to a trainer, which the gunting with a blue handle. It wasn't sharpened, but it had squared off edges that would deliever considerable more damage in pain then the trainer. But because it is without an edge, it would be legal to carry into places that don't allow edged weapons.

I just thought I'd interject.

:D

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think he's talking about the training knives he makes from aluminum. No edge, barely a point. Really just a hunk of shaped aluminum with a handle. More of a bludgeon than anything.

However, I can personally attest to the amount of pain one can cause :)

Cthulhu

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I'm on the street and just generally around, I carry a Spyderco Delica, a Kershaw and a few keychain style non-lethals (carbiner, microlight, fistload).

When I go out to party, I have a Syderco civilian, a studded leather belt, and a pair of steel toed shop boots.

When I travel I carry a few Stainless pens.

In the sticks I carry a Kabar and a Cold Steel Gurka Kukri.

The car has a standard military machete, a tire iron, a Little League Louisville slugger and a 3 D cell Maglight.

I save the Benchmade for fromal occations.

Recently I've been playing with chap linerlock karambits.

On a side note, I have a friend who keeps tubes of caulk handy. They are cheap, heavy, hard, durable and cops don't give it a second glance.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
When I'm on the street and just generally around, I carry a Spyderco Delica, a Kershaw and a few keychain style non-lethals (carbiner, microlight, fistload).

When I go out to party, I have a Syderco civilian, a studded leather belt, and a pair of steel toed shop boots.

When I travel I carry a few Stainless pens.

In the sticks I carry a Kabar and a Cold Steel Gurka Kukri.

The car has a standard military machete, a tire iron, a Little League Louisville slugger and a 3 D cell Maglight.

I save the Benchmade for fromal occations.

Recently I've been playing with chap linerlock karambits.

On a side note, I have a friend who keeps tubes of caulk handy. They are cheap, heavy, hard, durable and cops don't give it a second glance.

Lol :rofl:

That sounds like me.

That's kind of what I ment by "I do not need to carry, there is always a weapon available"

:asian:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
if anyone was looking to get a Gunting and was worried about the $170 price tag, knife outlet sells it for $109.95. still fairly expensive but also a lot cheaper.

unfortunately, i cannot vouch for their reliability or say why their price is so much lower. perhaps someone here is better informed about them than i am.

http://knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=SPYC68

L

LIONHEART

Hey all being fairly new to the knife collection and carrying as well as serious training bit I dont carry too many but heres my list,

I always carry my Kershaw Blur black blade tanto tip with partial seration

usually especially when out I also carry a CRKT Crawford Falcon neck knife as a backup, and I have a custom hand made HK (south african guy) Belt Buckle knife witha 4' blade which is interchangeable with a wide variety of my belts, not to quick to draw but nice for concealement especially in places where you "cant carry a weapon" hehe nice for backup (plus it doubles as a bottle opener (whoopee)).

looking into getting Kershaw Amphibian, a dart, and Cold Steel Kobern in the near future.

Yours in MA LIONHEART

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Great choices for carry from everyone.

Many if not most carry folders for convience, but we must remember to add drawing to our training each and every time we practice. (Fixed blades are quicker, but harder to carry for most people.)

Also, I have no preference as to a particular maker, but rather I tend to choose inexpensive blades(not cheap knockoffs) as if I lose it or have to lose it. It doesn't phase me in the least.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A spyderco spydercard. very thin and extremely sharp. I have had much better knives...but this suits its purpose perfectly. I also have a debit card with a reeeeaal sharp corner on it....just in case
icon12.gif
I prefer my big ole bowie....but the police frown on it....funny that.
It also depends on what I want to "accessorise" with......
A stinger with a shoulder holster....an asp baton mostly..
or just a pair of chop sticks. People look at you funny when you square off with those! which is just the time I need:asian:

oh yea...one last thing,I tell my ladies in my self-defense classes to carry a small packet of salt.preferably the kind you "break" open...you can do that with one hand. I carry one...a single grain of salt in an attackers eye can change his perspective of things a little.
icon10.gif

F

Firona

Generally I carry a black butterfly knife (single edge. 4in bl. 11in ov.) The convenience of a folder and the quick draw plus the flourish (which scares most assailants off) is all I really need it for. Though the fact that I have cut myself testing the edge is nice too...oh and when you have to get those stupid plastic snap-ties off of packages it's a life saver :ultracool

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Camillus CUDA (4" tanto point, plain edge) Right rear pocket

2. Spyderco Delica (serrated, with "open on the draw" mod) Left front pocket

3. CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion (fixed blade 50/50 edge) butt-down on boot inside left calf. (I don't carry this one all the time)

4. cheap, piece of junk folder in left hip-pocket for all the chores I don't want to ruin a good edge doing. ;)

5. various other weapons liberally scattered around home and vehicle.

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my younger (and more paranoid) days I carried:

A Gerber Lockback
A Made in Pakistan Boot Knife (crappy construction but disposable)

These days I just carry a Gerber Liner Lock w/half serrated blade. I am unhappy with its draw action though and am considering purchasing a hideaway but that'll haveta wait 'till January or February....after hunting season starts and I pay for some seminars and buy all those annoying Christmas Presents.

N

Northstorm

Is the question which knife would I rather have in a fight, or which weapon do I carry? The laws in Michigan and most states determine which knife I carry. It is illegal to carry any double edged knife with a blade over 3" long. If you have to use the knife, you will often be held accountable if it is a fixed blade vs. a folding knife. The idea being that if the courts determine you are carrying a knife for self defence, they will find you guilty, so the knife you carry should not suggest that it is a "fighting knife". I carry the Kershaw Storm model 1470. It is 4" closed allowing it to protrude slightly beyond the fist if you use it in its closed position as a weapon, and it is easily opened with one hand. The blade turns up slightly at the tip, allowing you to cut as you pull back. The blade is only 3" long, keeping it legal. It also has a reversible clip that allows you to carry it blade down or blade up, depending on your preference.

I train with it and carry it. It doesnt do us any good to train with a bowie knife or a balisong, when it is a felony to use such a weapon in defending oneself.

Northstorm

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Northstorm said:
It doesnt do us any good to train with a bowie knife or a balisong, when it is a felony to use such a weapon in defending oneself.

Northstorm

That depends on the judge, the jury and the situation, although I understand your meaning in that, most likely, it's going to be a guilty verdict.

N

Northstorm

Yes, you are correct that each case is judged individualy. But it is the prosecuters job to show that you intended to carry the knife for the intention of self defense rather than as a utility tool. To carry an item that is designated "dealy weapon" puts the carrier at risk of prosecution if he/she uses it. But to carry a knife that falls outside of the crieria of "deadly weapon" such as a folding knife carried in plain sight with a single blade less than 3", goes a long way to protecting yourself against prosecution should you ever have to use the knife.
We carry the knife to protect ourselves, so it only makes since to further protect ourselves by choosing a knife that is legal to carry and use if necessary.

Thank you for letting me participate in this discussion. It is my first thread since joining this group.

Northstorm

Latest Discussions