Which Knife is your Favorite to carry?

A

ArnoldLee

Originally posted by arnisador
How do you carry it?

Inside the waist with the IWB loop for now. The sheath that Survival Systems makes that it comes with is a little overbuilt for how I carry it. It's very secure so you can carry it inverted, strapped to LBG bouncing around the countryside etc, without fear of losing your blade. I guess they wanted a jack of all trades sheath. Problem is it's too secure if you want to get at it in a big hurry. It's not terrible but when I'm doing quick draw drills it feels like I'm trying to quick change a magazine out of an AK47. I'll probably get a custom sheath from Mike Sastre at River City soon as I can.

L

Lunumbra

Yes I'd used it. Survival is paramount.
Against an unarmed man, probably not, unless the aggressor had an obvious advantage that I needed to counter, size, strength, numbers, skill.

On the other hand, I'm a Guntaholic, so I have a LOT of non-lethal options available to me. It allows me to pound an attacker, without sending them to the hospital, and still have lethal force options. That makes it a little easier to immediately use a tool regardless of the situation. You don't have to make a split second decision, whether to draw a weapon or not, you just "grab and go".

The legal consequences of using non-lethal techniques, with a tool, against an unarmed aggressor....... that I'm willing to risk.

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, i would be prepared to use my knife in self-defense, but not against an unarmed man.

Peace

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I would, but as a last resort. I feel that there too many weapon freaks out there that depend on their weapon as their ONLY tools of self defense. I would try to avoid an encounter first. Next, I would go to hand to hand. The last level I would go to is the use of a weapon. I feel that way too many people want to skip all of these levels and go right to the weapon. This is not to say that I wouldn't skip a few levels if the situation merited it. I also use firearms and would use them if my life or the lives of my family or friends were in jeopardy.

:asian:

L

lost_tortoise

Since I've focused on the FMA and silat the last few years, I have found that I have to make a conscious effort to train my empty hand techniques as much if not more than weapons. I find it more fun to do weapon drills and sparring (with the possible exception of silat--love the vicious empty hand stuff!)

However, in a conflict, I would have to feel VERY threatened to use any weapon, let alone a knife. On the streets, I am quite prudent about escalation of force...not too keen on dying right now. If a gun comes out though, I will do whatever it takes to get the hell outta there or kill the aggressor. That issue is cut and dry to me. Of course, I fear blades more than I fear guns, but that may be a Pandora's box that we don't want to open.:wink:

~geoffrey~

M

MartialArtist

I carry a Colt Python Folder. I really don't use it for defense. #1 is gun, #2 is hand-to-hand really, those are the ones that I have the most experience with. I'm looking more into knife fighting and general weapons use. The knife is more of a utility tool than a weapon.

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very Interesting,

In the differense in what people carry & why.

How many people practice drawing their knives in different situation (DrillS)? From a grab to a punch on the ground Etc...

Peace

L

Lunumbra

I do.

I simplify it a little, by concentrating on one or two responses for each angle of attack (or quadrant). Trying to come up with an individual response to everything will just make you crazy, and confuse you in times of stress.

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
True,

But i also practice drawing, if i am grabbed from behind, thrown, choked, etc...

Peace

L

Lunumbra

Yep, sorry, I forgot to mention, I do that from the holster. I always do a strong side carry, belt sheath/holster or IWB. So it is not hard to be consistent. The only concern is if my stong side arm is entangled / held. I have done a few drills where the focus was weapon retention (turning the strong side hip away, cover holster or check, pass, lock with the weak side hand, etc) But, your right, I should probably do more of them...

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lunumbra,

Which is your strong side? (carried on the right, with right being strong) or do you cross yor body to draw?

I carry my knife on my left & cross draw with my right.
I practice blocking ina crossada motion, hitting the attcking weapon, into my draw.

Peace

L

Lunumbra

Strong side is my right, and I draw with my right. It is the hardest draw for your opponent to attempt to foul, especially if your already engaged with your live (left) hand and you turn your right hip back. Which is really easy to do, and lends power to your left hand, assuming it is also moving left to right in the first countering motion, which it usually will do.

The Gunting is especially suited to this draw, since the point is not to immediately get it open but to bring it up to tomahawk, or hammer, with.

Makes it REAL simple!

Lunumbra

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good point about this hip positioning, Thanks.

What type of blade do you practice with?
(or do you train with a live blade?)

Peace

L

Lunumbra

I have one of the training Drones that Spyderco makes to match the live blades. You've probably seen them, the red handles?

Again, it just make it easier.

A

A.R.K.

For a folding carry [clip it] knife I have two favorites;

Cold Steel large Voyager Tanto with partial serreated blade.

Spyderco Endura with full serration. This is the #1 for me, I have carried it daily for ten years now without any problem. In the cold and in the Florida hot it always finds a spot in my waist band. Never had to sharpen it either.

I train with knives both defensively and offensively.

I usually carry my off-duty .45 Glock 30...I ALWAYS carry my Spyderco Endura.

:asian:

I

IMAA

On a given day I usually carry my Emerson CQC7b (older model) I still love it. It comes in handy on a daily basis even still after 5 or 6 years that I've had it. I also have a mini version I sometimes carry. I occasionally if a knife catches my eye I'll grab it, if I can afford it. I have some nice (cheaper model Folers) made by the "master" knife company. I have one that has these horindus jagged teeth on it, It's quality isn't the greatest but it's nice for a collection... One of the others that i carry from time to time on occassion is one called the Night Warrior by Master's. It's unique body style is excellent for pressure point, and gunting's if ever needed be. I really would like to have one of the Spyderco "GUNUNTING" knives by Bram Franks, if I could ever afford one...but in the mean time i'll stick to my few tacticles. I feel if ever in a situation, its better to have a knife and not need it, than need a knife and not have it.....

Thanks
just my .2 worth

R

Richard S.

i work at www.davisguns.com and i love my job. it just so happens that the knife dept. is mine. we have the nicest selection of tactical fixed and folding knives that i have seen in one store including Emerson commanders cqc7 and cqc7b plus the new cqc10 bananna. everything you can imagine by Microtech (automatics and OTFs) plus pure customs by Lightfoot,Elishewitz,Terzuola and others. and our prices are damn good.

Latest Discussions