Which Jiu-Jitsu?

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While it's true that looking like a hard target can deter people from messing with you, your own appreciation for Murphy might point out that someone might call you on it, looking hard is no substitute for being hard.

I like that I am way stronger than my size would have you think.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am also stronger than I appear, and many are surprised by my ability in newaza.

All I am saying is what Bruce Lee was talking about in the 60's, 'aliveness' of sport fighting, such as judo or BJJ is better than cooperative partner practice.

That being said, Aikido, Aiki-ju-jutsu, and JJJ are all excellent in dealing with things that don't happen in a one-on-one fair fight.

All I was saying is, criminals are predators and largely cowards, and would rather prey on someone who looks small and old, rather than a young athletic person.

I didn't mean any offense.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Awe No offense taken at all, I agree with part of your point, I was just adding to it with the caveat.

It's a mis preception though that JJJ has no aliveness training, we randori all the time, where do you think Judo really got it from?
Kano put together a great system and revolutionized alot, but he did not inventmost of the techniques and practices of Judo, he made them a system.

That said, we have a bunch of MMA gear and a FIST suit, we utilize often.

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
To answer your question, it makes no difference for me whether it's BJJ or JJJ. I don't know which among them is better but I do know that any of them is adequate for someone who needs to defend themselves in close quarters. And that, for me, is what matters. Also, please consider Judo and Aikido. Any of the four are more than adequate if you properly train in them.

In making your choice, convenience may be a more important concern. If one of the four styles has a school near your place, you might be able to train more in it which will make you more skillful with it.

Another is the emphasis/philosophy of the school and instructor. It is amazing how one art like judo could be taught in three different ways depending on the school or instructor: On one school it may be very sport oriented where there are lots of randori and the atmosphere is not unlike that of a basketball gym; On another school, it may be very rigid and formal and almost like a JJJ school with lots of partner exercise where one attacks with a strike and the other defends; and finally, it may look very much like BJJ in another school where matwork rules.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You know, Darth Takeda, I thought about one of your earlier posts on this thread last night and it occured to me- I am much like you.

If I start standing up, I always get top mount. But if I start on the knees, I always end up on bottom.

I guess that is why I have success in Judo, but when i try to cross train in BJJ I get demolished. Same body of knowledge, different approach.

I don't want to sound like a sore loser, but EVERY altercation begins standing up, starting on the knees is reduction to the absurd in my opinion. What do i mean by that? If every fight goes to the ground, let's just play on the ground. That is reduction to the absurd, kind of like boxing is only focused on one, important technique: punching with the closed fist.

Every fight starts standing up. Randori is more important than newaza.

So in many ways, I see what you are saying. Maybe JJJ is better for this karate black belt who started the thread.

Latest Discussions