Which is your best Taekwondo pattern (tul)?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, i didnt say the first one was, i meant the second one. I have only done chon ji once. And see previous for why i think that is difficult in a joking manner.

(also for all intents and purposes i am referring to 4directions as forms)

Ok, so...

The first exercise is usually sajo jirugi. 4 direction punch.

The second is sajo magki. 4 direction block.

The first tul/pattern is Chon-Ji.

The exercises are not tul, nor patterns.

While they fulfill the dictionary definition of being a pattern of movements, they are not TKD patterns.

The reason they're not is because they're not referred to as such, they are exercises.

Whether you consider them patterns or not is quite frankly absolutely irrelevant, they're just not and that's all there is to it.

Now, if you started as an adult and attended at least once a week you'd likely be taught the two fundamental exercises and been eligible to grade to yellow stripe in about 3 months, unless you're shockingly bad.

Then you would be taught Chon-Ji. Most people grade up from there to yellow belt in 2-6 months.

So seriously, be absolutely honest now, how long did you actually, really, train in TKD for?

D

Deleted member 39746

That's what I'm saying. That is considered to be a basic form. People are shocked that you have 1-3 years of experience and only did the basic form once.

It was on and off, and if thats the case i apparently got lucky to be shown the second one when i did. I didnt grade, and only got that shown in a second school. to be fair it was a semi concern of mine/factor for giving it up as i felt if i didnt grade i would just get a limited/not true exposure to it. As for why, don't ask me, you very rarely if at all choose when you learn what. :p

So seriously, be absolutely honest now, how long did you actually, really, train in TKD for?
As i have stated 1-3 years on and off, that is the time duration i did and obviously its a approximation. I dont have a good enough memory to get it more accurate.

You can picee together the rest via the previous quote here. Also why would i lie about white belt status? It literally gets you nothing.

Whether you consider them patterns or not is quite frankly absolutely irrelevant, they're just not and that's all there is to it.

Then by same logic, they are and its irreverent as they are. I think we can both agree its largely semantics and fully irelivent to the thread at this point though.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was on and off, and if thats the case i apparently got lucky to be shown the second one when i did. I didnt grade, and only got that shown in a second school. to be fair it was a semi concern of mine/factor for giving it up as i felt if i didnt grade i would just get a limited/not true exposure to it. As for why, don't ask me, you very rarely if at all choose when you learn what. :p

How much was on, and how much was off? Why didn't you grade? You are correct that you don't get to choose when you learn what, but that's part of why you have to show up to class, and part of why you have to stick with it and rank up (to show you're ready for it). For the amount of time you spent, you should have been exposed to it more.

As i have stated 1-3 years on and off, that is the time duration i did and obviously its a approximation. I dont have a good enough memory to get it more accurate.

You can picee together the rest via the previous quote here. Also why would i lie about white belt status? It literally gets you nothing.

Because you're claiming 1-3 years of training, and you're also claiming to have no experience in things most students start doing a couple of months in.

Then by same logic, they are and its irreverent as they are. I think we can both agree its largely semantics and fully irelivent to the thread at this point though.

Your logic doesn't make sense. If there is strict definitions within a system, those definitions need to be followed within the system in order for students to be able to communicate. If there exist strict definitions for what is a pattern, what is a tul, then that is important for the discussion. Just because you don't know those definitions, doesn't make it irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 39746

REMINDER TO ALL POSTERS:

Please try to stay on topic.

-------------
William H
Martial Talk Moderator
@kempodisciple

That i will.

Why is Hwa-Rang the most popular colour belt pattern? Is it because its simple in contrast to the others? By that i mean with the TKD experience is is deemed relatively easy to pick up?

And then i have a similar question for the next 2 on that list, why are they deemed the favorite among the users and why the lack of clear winners in the black belt patterns? Wait never mind, the two charts are just different sizes and gave me the impression on a quick glance no one was a clear winner.

Was there anything as to the reason why provided for these results?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I

For two people to have an intelligent discussion they must first agree on how terms are defined.

If you want to address the Chang Hon system with people who practice it you need to use the proper / system terminology - anything else leads to confusion. There are officially 24 patterns / Tuls in the system and the three 4 direction exercises are labeled as that with the purpose of having students learn fundamental movements contained in patterns before they learn the pattern.

D

Deleted member 39746

Feel free to delete this if i mis understood my queries with a moderator, but i have started a thread for the above argument about 4 directional.

What Makes a TKD Pattern/Tul/Form Such?

That is the link to it, so we can continue from fresh there without disrupting this thread further.

Flashx80

White Belt
Reaction score
I like all of the patterns, but the least of all are Kodang (former of Juche) and Moon-Moo

Latest Discussions