Which one do you actually do?

• Kali

• Arnis (Including Modern)

• Escrima

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
I

IMAA

Well, from my understanding in the end essentially Kali, Eskrima, Arnis are all the same. However, the different family systems are very different when your speaking in behalf of attitude, technique, skill, heritage, etc..

I started back in 1984 studying a hybrid of Inosanto Kali / Pekiti Tirsia Kali with Pentjak Silat and Jun Fan Method of JKD. I studied this up to 1990. For many years continuing I followed this same path hitting up seminars w/ Guro Dan Inosanto, One or two Seminars with Leo T Gaje. Around 1999 I met a guy that teaches Inayan Eskrima, De Cuerdas and i've stayed in touch with him studying this art off and on since 99'. Exactly one month ago we have started an Escrima group training lesson at a local karate dojo.

cannibal combat

White Belt
Reaction score
I have trained in various styles of Escrima and Kali. The difference to me is just the name. I found similar techniques and strategies in both. When people ask what I do, I always say "Filipino Martial Arts". To many people get caught up in the names. For me it's the skills that draw me in.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in FMA for about twelve years . My main art is Sayoc Kali . I also train in Modern Arnis (for about the last four years) & luckily for me my training partners have a strong background in Modern Arnis . I'v also been exposed to many other FMA . I try to expriance as many types of FMA as possible because they all have something special to offer . There are alot of strong similarities throughout the many systems & I think it helps to explore & I will continue to do so . I also have a half decent background in grappling & some Silat training .

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would say that most people are now lumping the terminology -Kali, Escrima, Arnis- into one category and which ever style you are training in have many things in common despite what they name the system.

I have been training for just over 30 years, and about 24 - 25 in various FMA type arts. My primary focus for the last five years (FMA wise) has been Sayoc Kali, but that has not stopped me from continuing to explore and train in other fma's as well!

Frank- I am looking forward to seeing you at Sama Sama!!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

OP
K

kenpochad

I have been thinking about train in kali I really like what i see .
i cant pull up any info on CDF academies here at work they use a web blocker

http://marinojones.com/ has any body heard of him

OP
G

guromkb

Kamusta Ka
I have trained & taught Pekititirsia kali also Silat. I now teach my blend of both Kali-Rongan ng Buhay...I call it Silat flavored Kali and Kali spiced Silat..all in all It Works and that's what truly matters.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
It's good to see so many FMA systems here on MT!
:partyon:
Yeah, its really cool. It seems MT predominantly populated by FMA players and Kenpo/Kempoists. I wonder if the demographics show a trend in martial arts in this country?

BTW - I have three years experience in Arnis De Mano and three years in Inosanto Blend Kali.

PeteNerd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What's the difference between Arnis, Escrima and Kali? Aren't they all very similar and sometimes interchanged? Does it just depend on what your style prefers to call it? I'm training in Balintawak in Cebu now and I tried to ask my instructor. He said the arnis is more of a western term for stick fighting, escrima is what most people call stick fighting in cebu and kali is the term used more in Negros. What's the popular opinion on this question. I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Peter

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're living in the Age of Kali:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga

According to most interpretations of Hindu scriptures, including the Vedas, the Kali Yuga (lit. Age of Kali , also known as Iron Age) began at the end of Krishna's bodily lifespan (approximately 5100 years ago, 3102 BCE) and will last exactly 432,000 years — placing its conclusion in the year 428,899 CE (it began with a year 0).

Oliver_r_gabuya

White Belt
Reaction score
Escrima... we at Filmocan Escrima club practise mutiple weaponry. from daggers, garote, pinuti(long one side bladed weapon), bull whip, throwing knives, spear, 2 meter long chain, hand to hand combat, grappling and combat sirado, REALISTIC ESPADA Y DAGA, abisidario(long and short range. www.filmocan.coms.ph

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
I study with Tony Marcial for about 9 to almost 10 years in Gung Fu and Marcial Kali. Still remain my favorite Kali System.:asian:

poetics5

White Belt
Reaction score
actually i study or will be in all three. i started at a school that was a "hey we teach everything" variety. i love kali and thats why i joined them. left and found my guro whose trained and cert'd in a buch of different arts, but he only teaches us fma. our training starts with babao arnis, as we reach the second half of this training we start to get into the fma boxing - sorry don't remember how to spell the name properly at the moment, but everyone knows what i mean. after we test our of arnis we'll move on to dose paras escrima, after we test again we move finally on to villabrille - lagusa kali. from there you train until you are able to past your test for masetro. and from there guro. we don't really have a time frame for start to finish although i've been told it takes about 3-4 years to reach masetro. also if i'm incorrect with any of this please feel free to correct me.

on a side note if personally asked our guro will instruct us in other thing, but only outside of our fma training. he doesn't want to 1. confuse anyone on what is and isn't fma, and also he doesn't what to distract from our fma learning.

-- i forgot to mention you are required to do a certain number of tourns, and a certain number of sparring matches per section and each style has 3-4 sections (training wise)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 14th Style said:
Eskrima
Mostly Serrada, some Largo. It is the only art I do. I would love to learn Dumog and Cadena de mano, i've seen a little. One of the things I love About the FMA's is that there are so many styles and systems to learn from, it's like an endless banquet.
Resectfully The 14th Style

Inayan Eskrima?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lhommedieu said:
Cf. Mark Wiley's "Filipino Martial Culture" (Tuttle) pp. 307-44 for an interesting discussion regarding the use of the terms "kali," "eskrima," and "arnis" for various Filipino martial arts.

Wiley's argument is paraphrased in my post under the "FMA Vocabulary Needed" thread.

See also my post (Reply #21) on the "Influence of Spanish Renaissance Swordsmanship..." post on the public forum of the Dog Brothers' website: www.dogbrothers.com

Best,

Steve Lamade
Theres also a lot of discussion about Wiley and some of the other "masters."

leomel pino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
eskrima, it is the name here in cebu especially in rural areas.arnis is reffered as a sport here in cebu while eskrima is more on combat.
practice largo mano eskrima which i learned from my granduncle in the municipality of tuburan, cebu. learning the art is literally painful, i mean hits are actually for real and bruises are common after sessions, he used to pushed the idea of reality and telling that it is better to have a taste of the real thing. my granduncle used to encourage me to explore and be creative, it is for the reason of not being stucked in 4 walled room and to be defeated by mere negligence. techniques are usually divided into sections: strikes, angles, grappling and movement and all are basic, the advance techniques depends on how you create and explore.

anyone from cebu here? kamusta na mga higala! palambua ug pakusga ang panaghugpong sa tanang mangolisihay sa tibu-ok kalibutan. mabuhi ka manggubatayng bisaya!

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing the FMA's since 1980. Remy introduced modern arnis to my instructor, Ernie Reyes and convinced him that he should get in touch with his cultural roots. Since then, our schools have had training programs in Inayan (Mike Inay and Jeff Elliott) back in the day. We have for many years incorperated modern arnis for the underbelts and Serrada escrima for the black belts.

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I teach Arnis Braña. But I also am currently studying Sayoc Kali, Balintawak Arnis Escrima, amongst many others. I have trained in about 13 different systems of Filipino martial arts.

Latest Discussions