Which Blade would you use

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, given the question was specifically about bladed weapons.
What is bladed? If I sharpen the spike so that it also cuts, is it now a blade? Is it still a spike? Can it be both at the same time, or does it become a third thing... not a blade, nor a spike, but maybe a blike?

Is this a blade?
m343.png

If so, then why not this, which has similar blades all over the mace head?

artur-kokotov-mace-beuty-w.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you just say "bladed weapon" then it's wide open. Anything with one or more sharp edge or even a sharp point. Small swords and many stilettos didn't have edges, but it would be sort of silly to claim they're not bladed weapons. So it's reasonable to include spiky mace thingies and arrows. And bayonets mounted or unmounted.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is bladed? If I sharpen the spike so that it also cuts, is it now a blade? Is it still a spike? Can it be both at the same time, or does it become a third thing... not a blade, nor a spike, but maybe a blike?

Is this a blade?
m343.png

If so, then why not this, which has similar blades all over the mace head?

artur-kokotov-mace-beuty-w.jpg
I can’t see where there’s a hard line dividing the terms. I’d expect a “bladed weapon” to have a sharpened edge somewhere. There are probably definitions that contradict that.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wrote a similar post about this with only types of spears but in this one, you can choose any bladed weapon.
Let's say you were matched up with a gladiator in a fight to the death. You could choose any bladed weapon
(no revolvers please jobo) to fight against the gladiator. With which weapon would you feel the most comfortable with fighting the gladiator.
Probably a gladius. One-handed, meaning I have an extra hand to punch the **** out of him.

(2) INCREDIBILIS - YouTube

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can’t see where there’s a hard line dividing the terms. I’d expect a “bladed weapon” to have a sharpened edge somewhere. There are probably definitions that contradict that.
As @Dirty Dog mentioned above, there are some knives that don't have a cutting edge. They are basically spikes on a handle. For example, it didn't take more than a few seconds to find this little jobber below. No cutting edge at all, and the "blade" is triangular. Is it a blade? Is it a spike? Is it a splade or a blike?

IN5307_1024x1024.jpg

Latest Discussions