Which better for self defense?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Conclusion...in my opinion too many people worry about style and what moves to study losing to the focus of the situation. In a real fight is not like in a dojo. Do not worry if you know 1 move or 1,000 if it is CMA or MMA, if you have to train alot grappling or not. Fights don't last very long and usually if the opponent places the first 2 or 3 punches very well it is hard to overcome the fight. What you need is knowing moves and mastering them so that they come out automatically in moment of need.

I recall one situation in which what I trained in the dojang (Korean dojo ;)) was EXACTLY what happened in the fight. In this case it was training what to do when being taken to the ground, including pulling them into the guard position.

Remember, "You fight like you train."

With enough training, you CAN overcome an opponent, even if he places a couple of good punches.

Some of the best Pride Fight matches I have watched were the ones in which one competitor, after weathering a barrage of punches from his opponent, turned the fight around to win.

Indomitable spirt + training hard in preparation for bad situations

can indeed result in victory even under some horrible circumstances.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall one situation in which what I trained in the dojang (Korean dojo ;)) was EXACTLY what happened in the fight. In this case it was training what to do when being taken to the ground, including pulling them into the guard position.

Remember, "You fight like you train."

With enough training, you CAN overcome an opponent, even if he places a couple of good punches.

Some of the best Pride Fight matches I have watched were the ones in which one competitor, after weathering a barrage of punches from his opponent, turned the fight around to win.

Indomitable spirt + training hard in preparation for bad situations

can indeed result in victory even under some horrible circumstances.

I agree Scott and that is a good post. Spirit + hard training prepares you well for those dangerous violent encounters. It does not ensure success but it does prepare you.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think training for number 1 is the only valuable training.

who on earth gets into number 2 without having plenty of number 2 for brains?

to be clear, i'm not talking about sport fighters. that's a game and games are fun. but if you're actually training with the intent of winning a stand-up, toe-to-toe fight like you're still in high school, you probably shouldn't be training.

situation number 2 can be avoided with good sense. a trained martial artist will exercise that good sense.

again, i'm not talking about sport fighters. so please, sport fighters, don't take that the wrong way.

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
think training for number 1 is the only valuable training.

who on earth gets into number 2 without having plenty of number 2 for brains?

to be clear, i'm not talking about sport fighters. that's a game and games are fun. but if you're actually training with the intent of winning a stand-up, toe-to-toe fight like you're still in high school, you probably shouldn't be training.

I agree.

there are plenty of "moves" designed to get out of chokeholds/grabs/pins and so forth. I think drilling these in various states of awareness and different circumstances is a decent way to be prepared. This is a self defense class curriculum.

In addition, while I'm not a competition fighter - I do think there is something to be said for sport fighting as a preparation for self defense, particularly for adrenalin control - in addition to getting used to taking a certain amount of physical damage.

again, I couldnt agree with bushidomartialarts more. Training for the ring, or training for real self defense seems to be the only responsible way to go.

Latest Discussions