Where is everyone from?

OP
T

tmonis

spatulahunter said:
how long have you been doing hakkoryu? have you ever met Shihan Garner train. He teaches in clio michigan (by flint) he is one of the highest ranked hakkoryu people in the country so maybe you have met him
Greetings, I Studied Hakkoryu Ju Jitsu for about 6 years under Barbara and Darren Myers in Virginia when I was there. I barely made it to 3rd Dan then they divorced and Darren affiliate with Gm Kuniba before he died. His Hakkoryu school closed when Barbara left. Shortly after that I began my Kenpo study. I have been training for 32 years now and blend Hakkoryu, Kenpo and Filipino Martial Arts together in my school. They compliment each other very well.

I never met Shihan Garner. I did get a chance to train with Kuniba through Darren for awhile before he died. His son took over the organization I think.

OP
T

tmonis

still learning said:
Hello, from Hawaii....Aloha
Aloha Still Learning. How is the weather out there? Warm I bet! lol It is in the 30's here in South Carolina.

Mahalo and aloha

Todd:ultracool

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi

Have just started Juijitsu a couple of months ago to help me out with my MMA training. Not to sure of the lineage. The club I have just joined mainly do competition JJ.

OP
T

tmonis

Raisin said:
Hi

Have just started Juijitsu a couple of months ago to help me out with my MMA training. Not to sure of the lineage. The club I have just joined mainly do competition JJ.
Hello Raisin,

JJ is an awesome form of the martial arts. Even though I do Kenpo now, I blend my JJ into my Kenpo. My students love it. What form of JJ are you studying?

Todd

OP
T

The Prof

I am 65 years old. Actively teaching, Started Ju Jitsu Training in 1957 while stationed at the US Naval Air Station in Jacksonville, FL.

Complete bio can be read on my web site. www.niseido.org

Prof.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Todd
sorry took so long in replying........... I do not know what form of JJ I have started, so I best be asking some more questions!!! I'll let you know when I find out!!

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
dosandojang said:
Lineage? Instructor (s)? Age? Rank?

Lineage?

Wado: Otsuka Hironori->Sasaki Takashi->C.A. Taman->Ben Haryo->me

Goju: Yamaguchi Gogen->Hauw Siauw Tjiap->Yuyu Suhaeri->Firdaus S.A->me

Hakko-ryu:Okuyama Ryuho->Irie Yasuhiro->Roy Hobbs->Ben Haryo->me

I am 27, 3rd Kyu in Wado and Goju, from Jakarta, Indonesia.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dosandojang said:
Lineage? Instructor (s)? Age? Rank?

The style I try to practise every now and then is Tauramuso ryu. Jujutsu is one part of the system (the other being jojutsu and tojutsu). I am still unranked in it, because I think that the only ranks that really count in it are menkyo ranks (shoden, chuden and okuden menkyo). When sensei says that I need to take a test, I'll take it :)

On karate side I've been doing Kokusai Shorinji ryu, a recent off-shoot of Shorinji ryu Renshinkan. There I am 1. kyu (testing for 1. dan in 2.5 weeks)

I'm studying both these under Yuji Matsuoi sensei right here in Helsinki, Finland.

The lineage for Tauramuso ryu looks like this: Motomu Ikubo sensei (the style head or toryo) -> Yuji Matsuoi sensei -> me

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Texas
Tae Kwon Do
Okinawa Karate
Linage in Okinawa, W.R.Stoker Sr. USMC Master Drill Instructor and Grand Master Yon Kin Kim

Tkd is Grand Master Gin Kim

Okinawa karate for 20+ years and 5th Dan
Tkd for over 20 years and 4th Dan

Terry Lee Stoker

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
TimoS said:
Basically kenjutsu by another name :) Don't ask me why it's called tojutsu :idunno:

To = blade Jutsu = art

In of the Ryuhas that my teacher studied, it's called Toho, blade methods.

It's common term.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been training in Jujutsu since the mid 70's. Alex Marshall was my primary sensei but I've been fortunate to train with several excellent instructors, Toshi Takikawa, Gene LeBell, Tetsuro Nariyama and Skip Koepke, to name a few.

Jikishinkage Ryu Aikijujutsu, 3rd Dan under Toshiaki Takikawa

Seki Ryu Jujutsu, 5th Dan under Skip Koepke

Akayama Ryu Jujutsu, 8th Dan under Alex Marshall

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dylan Z Thomas, 34 Woodbridge,Va
2nd Dan Icho Yama Ryu Aiki Jujutsu at Quantico Dojo (North).
Student Daito Ryu AikiJujutsu-Kodo Kai at Quantico Dojo (North)-Current. Pekiti Tarsia and Silat under Prof. Dave Wink's FCMA group, Fredrick,Md.-Current.
CQC (McCann style) under Rod Taylor-3 months.
American Kenpo 6 months under John Morrison, Margate Fla.
TKD 86-88
Trained with my Step Dad, Muay Thai/Dirty tricks 84-86.

Icho Yama Ryu was formed by Roy Goldberg, Migul Ibbara and Berni Leu in the early 80s, it's a composite of Miyama Ryu Combat Jujutsu, Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu and Aikdo.
My Sesnei, Dave Lamond started Jujutsu and Judo under Antonio Perrara in 62 untill drafted by the US Army in 66, a few years later, after becoming a patrol man, he got back into Jujutsu when he started to train with Goldberg and Ibarra, who were doing Miyama Tyu and Daito Ryu.

Sensei has had his own Dojo in Va since the mid 80s.
2 Years ago he was declared as the head of his own Kai (Quantico Kai) of Icho Yama Ryu.

Prof Wink has studied with Leo Gage, among others and he and Eric Knauss started the full contact stick fighting group that would become the DogBrothers.

I must also add the late Col. Jim Tirey (USA Ret), he was my Sempi in Quantico Dojo and also trained me in Western and Military knife fightinng as well as opening many doors into FMA/IMA and finding my own natural style with in these arts. He was an important part of the last 11 years of MA and life and I will carry what he taught with me, and pass it on forever.

SHUGYO!

greg1075

White Belt
Reaction score
33. Soon to be blue belt in Hakko Ryu JJ after a little over two years of training. Did some Judo for a while when I was 7/8 (yellow belt, my parents moved and I never looked for a new dojo). I have done some kickboxing as well in recent years as well. I am looking to cross train in another disciplin and am debating between Judo, BJJ, MMA and empty hand Kali.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am 32 and started training in Ju Jutsu in 2005. Still a blue belt but my focus is not really on grading. I also train in other arts so my focus on different aspects tends to vary a bit, but the moment I try to get in at least two JJ lessons a week. In the summer I tend to focus more exclusively on JJ.

My main instructor is Torbjørn Arntsen who teaches the Ju Jutsu Norway system. I am not quite sure about the lineage but it seems it has infuences from many styles of JJ as well as strikes from Karate.

Recently I have also started taking lessons with Ronny Sandberg in Nihon Goshin Ryu Ju Jutsu. The lineage seems to go pretty straight to Japan but I don`t really know the history of this style yet.

http://nifs.multiply.com/photos/album/20#11
This picture shows Ronny Sandberg on the left and Torbjørn Arntzen on the right. In the middle is Kyoshi Allain Asilly whom we try to invite to visit us as often as possible.

Latest Discussions