Where have all the chunners gone...

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. lansao...where did PH learn from?

He studied with two different schools in Hong Kong (Bill Cheung and another I believe Moy Yat) and came back to Philly to start North American Wing Chun back in the day. He combined both schools of thought and continues to teach out of Philly. Really great guy with great lessons for his students.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...still here...!!! :)

I sometimes go to Austin on business...would like to learn more of the WC from Philip Holder. Don't know much about him or his WC.

However, to spark conversation...lately I've been wondering: is there any difference from the LT WT taught in the mainland vs in the US? If so, can someone elaborate the broad strokes? And if there are any differences...why? How did that happen? Thanks!

I don't know other systems well enough to compare. From what I've heard on this forum our footwork is different and we think about our hand positions differently. Here's a list of info from his school if any of them stand out to you.

Wing Chun Info | Masters-Center BodySmart Wellness Hypnotherapy Philip Holder PhD Wing Chun Certification Marie Kimelheim MD Psychiatry Medical Hypnotherapy Certification Medical

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sheesh, am I the only guy here who doesn't go to Austin?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sheesh, am I the only guy here who doesn't go to Austin?
Maybe you should go. It's a pretty nice place. --As an Arizonan, I never thought I'd say that about anyplace in Texas, but it's true!

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you should go. It's a pretty nice place. --As an Arizonan, I never thought I'd say that about anyplace in Texas, but it's true!
Selfish of me to say but Austin may be a good future WC meet-up site.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Still training, just reallocated the time I was spending getting trolled by people who wait for any post in the Wing Chun forum to swoop in and talk about how their training is superior. I would love to have positive discourse with other Wing Chun players. I've kept it going a few of you off-line, but mostly, been spending my training time on the floor.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Richard M. Guerra (nickname tiger) started to teach WC in Austin back in 1980.

Does anybody know him?
tiger.jpg

Last edited:

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If anyone is curious, I'm posting the wooden dummy form as I've learned it here. Would love to take any specific questions about specific sets. Just use the video time or set number.

~ Alan

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would love to have positive discourse with other Wing Chun players.
I feel the opposite. I don't like to discuss

- power training with Baji guys.
- speed training with preying mantis guys.

The reason is simple. They think their style are the best and they won't accept other styles point of view.

For example, onetime I had discussion with a XingYi guy. He said, "When I step in and punch you, you will be dead." I just can't continue that discussion with him after that. He thinks all XingYi guys can knock through a brick wall.

I still think WC guys should participate "general MA discussion" more often.

- Long fist has the most complete basic training.
- Baji has the simplest power generation training.
- Preying mantis has the best speed training.
- SC has the most complete throwing skill training.
- WC has the most detail center line principle training.

Only through "general CMA discussion", a CMA system can compare itself with others. It's a good thing.

I like to discuss throwing skill with Judo guys or American wrestlers. They sometime can give me some input that I have never thought about.

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If anyone is curious, I'm posting the wooden dummy form as I've learned it here. Would love to take any specific questions about specific sets. Just use the video time or set number.

~ Alan

Q1: are you doing the form "softly" because your jong isn't mounted very solid(?)

Q2: is it just me or is that thing mounted too high for you?

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Q1: are you doing the form "softly" because your jong isn't mounted very solid(?)
A1: Softly to focus on tightening pathways and increasing contact information transfer. Plenty of other approaches but it turns out being able to do the dummy without clinking any of the elbows requires real attention to detail. There are sandbags in that box underneath and I find this design to be portable and convenient in my garage gym.

A1: We mount our dummy so that it's elbows are roughly at shoulder height. Given the way we practice, this helps us practice with a partner that's about our height.

Last edited:

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score

This one has more intention of you find that helpful.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Curious, do you find practicing with the dummy height with the arms at shoulder height causes you to lift the elbow and shoulder when training with a partner as it does with the dummy?

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Curious, do you find practicing with the dummy height with the arms at shoulder height causes you to lift the elbow and shoulder when training with a partner as it does with the dummy?

Short answer, I think it's yes if I'm reading you correctly. With bong sao for example, I find with practice my lats raise my shoulders into a tucked position more consistently, my upper arm is more easily parallel to the ground, and that the "deflective shelf" of the forearm has a higher upper bound at the elbow, and in general I feel like I've had better upper gate coverage. Does that help answer the question?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes.

Richard and I started our training with LT at the same time, although I was in Arizona, and he was in Texas. I had some phone conversations with him, but never met him in person. Several of my friends in Texas did train with him for a while. When he was younger, they say he was a pretty tough guy, coming from hard style Karate (Sor Ryu). Then he switched to Leung Ting's WT for a few years before going off on his own, promoting himself to "Master", ...maybe even "Grandmaster"? ...starting his own style, "La Mano de Guerra" and so on. Eventually he fell on some hard times. A friend of mine who new him well said not to judge hime too harshly, since he had suffered a lot of ***** in his life, possibly going back to his days as a Vietnam Vet. Maybe PTSD? ...apparently some delusional states too. I hope he is doing better these days.

Latest Discussions