Where does the history of the weapons come from

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mostly interested in the hapkido weapons. Where do they come from? Were they brought over from japan? I am looking into a few styles since i might be changing styles soon, and I have been interested in hapkido for a while now, but i always wondered where the hapkido weapons came from.

tbma_mark

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a Hapkido stylist, but all native Korean arts were banned during the Japanese occupation. Eventually the ban was lifted, however, most martial art styles were replaced with some form of Japanese style, including their weapons. If the form uses the H pattern, it has a Japanese influence.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would go back to the roots and look into Aikijitsu. Since it was Sokaku Takeda who Choi credits learning his art from, I would start there.

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mostly interested in the hapkido weapons. Where do they come from? Were they brought over from japan? I am looking into a few styles since i might be changing styles soon, and I have been interested in hapkido for a while now, but i always wondered where the hapkido weapons came from.

The main Hapkido weapons used are the cane, short stick and rope/belt. As pointed out, the main influence of the majority of weapons used in Korean martial arts are from the Japanese occupation, but as has been told to me, the cane, short stick and rope/belt are being touted as uniquely Korean.