Where do you buy your swords?

onequiks2k

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I purchased 3 Last Legend Katana's from Swordarmory.com. For the $ they make great blades! I own 1 4000 Yashima series 29.5 in. blade w/ bohi, 1 3000 Ameryu series w/ 28 in. blade w/ bohi, & another 3000 series but it is the Taganoshi series 28.5 blade w/ bohi & they are all folded. If you compare Last Legend's "lower end models" to other companies like Cold Steel's upper line models (Imperial/Dragonfly), Last Legend in actuality is cheaper!!!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I purchased 3 Last Legend Katana's from Swordarmory.com. For the $ they make great blades! I own 1 4000 Yashima series 29.5 in. blade w/ bohi, 1 3000 Ameryu series w/ 28 in. blade w/ bohi, & another 3000 series but it is the Taganoshi series 28.5 blade w/ bohi & they are all folded. If you compare Last Legend's "lower end models" to other companies like Cold Steel's upper line models (Imperial/Dragonfly), Last Legend in actuality is cheaper!!!
You still don't say on what you base your evaluation. For myself, I have only ever used three of Last Legends blades. In all three the handle dimensions seemed to be off in that they felt very strange in the hand. Two had poor handle wrapping, and the third was just adequate. One I had to take apart and repair the mekugi, and mekugi ana, as two of the three were pressing against each other instead of pressing the sword tang into the handle as they should have been resulting in an unsafe condition. One of the swords was so thin that it tended to bend if the wind blew on it. :) I consider the Hanwei swords to be a much better value as long as you purchase from someone that knows swords and will inspect it well before sending it out. All in all I was singularly unimpressed with the Last Legend swords, so that's why I asked what you based your "awesome" evaluation on. Just for the record, I've also used several of the Cold Steel Japanese sword versions, and heartily disliked every one.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bugei's swords are made by the Hanwei forge to their specifications. The biggest difference between Bugei and the standard Hanwei line is the fact that Bugei is very stringent in their quality control. Ted Tenold and Keith Larman, both of whom polish and mount swords professionally, personally clean and inspect every sword that comes in. This way, all of the normal quality problems found in the Hanwei swords is avoided. Of course, that's also why Bugei swords cost more than the standard Hanwei swords.

In regards to your Last Legend swords, I was hoping that they had managed to make large improvements in their product, which was why I kept asking for the basis of your calling them awesome. There's nothing at all wrong with being excited about and enjoying the swords you bought.

onequiks2k

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did not find anything wrong with the swords (such as loose fittings, etc) they felt very solid, & extremely sharp just like any already sharpened sword. If I was willing to spend the extra $ I would go w/ one of your recommendations towards one of the websites which you have posted that sell "Japanese made swords". I will be looking into E-Bogi.com site for one of those unsharpened Iato's though. Also Martialartswords.com seem to be just as nice as Bugei.com.

onequiks2k

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey just out of curiousity, when & which model LL Katana's did you test? Was it the the old Mark V line??? The ones I have are the newer family lines, Takatoshi/Yashima/Ameryu...

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey just out of curiousity, when & which model LL Katana's did you test?
I really don't know which models they were. Two were several years ago, and one was last year. I make it a point to evaluate all blades that students wish to use for tameshigiri in the dojo. This way I not only ensure that all swords are of a minimum standard, I also get to evaluate the various manufacturers out there.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I use Albion swords bought through Christian Fletcher if they're sharp (for scabbard fitting), and I'd buy from them direct for sparring blunt steel weapons, which need no scabbard. I also have a Hanwei practice rapier which is pretty decent, and a Hemrich "Fechtbuch" sword which is OK, although a little heavy.

For information in weapon sellers, the best place to go is: www.myarmoury.com

Best regards,

-Mark

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to throw Oni Forge in there as well. Really awesome fittings and blades.

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also stay tuned for a new sword company about to debut this month...
Arashi Forge. Website and details coming soon.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having bought a Hanwei Bastard Sword the other day, I have to say that I wouldn't recommend them for this type of weapon.

There are quite a few flaws in the example I have, mostly cosmetic it has to be said but also the blade is actually bent!

Do they not practise any quality control anymore? I know it was cheap (only £90 ($180)) but there are still some reasonable expectations of fit and finish.

As my Paul Chen PPK (buoght a few years ago) is pretty good for the money, I can't give them a blanket thumbs-down but would definitely suggest a try-before-you-buy approach.

Insley Stiles

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here folks. My class gave me a Cold Steel Warrior Series Katana for Christmas this past December to use for tameshigiri. This particular katana is very heavy, just 2 ounces shy of 3 Lbs. but is extremely sharp and the tsuka ito and furniture have held up admirably to many thousands of repititions. The heavier weight makes it a good training weapon for cutting in general.

I also have a blade made in the koto period (about 500 years old). I would never even think of cutting a target with it but boy, would I love to try it. I reserve it for cutting only air!

Two of my students have LL katanas, I don't know what models they have off the top of my head. One is pleased with the blade but the tsuka ito began to unravel due to a loose kashira. The other had no problems with the tsuka but his blade bent during tameshigiri. I will say that LL dealt fairly (if not very timely) in buying his katana back. After trying my Cold Steel Katana, he purchased the same model and has been happy with it.

Another of my students has a Cheness Katana and is very pleased with it. Again, sorry, I don't know the model but I will say that it's blade geometry makes it an extremely good cutting sword.

Thanks everyone, for all the good information!

Regards,
Ins

brad

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a Cold Steel Warrior. It's a workhorse. I've cut lots of bamboo with it (that's all we cut, bamboo) with no problems, and it's a reliable basic cutter. Good cuts, bad cuts, cuts through joints, the blade has come through it all with no damage.
I also have a Cheness Mokko katana and a Mokko ko katana as well.
A little lighter tham the Warrior, but tough reliable blades.

Latest Discussions