Where do we draw the line?

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
My partner and me were touching each other
You and your "partner" were "touching" each other? Where were you training, San Francisco?

Don Roley said:
I looked over at two visitors and saw that they were playing a version of Quien es mas macho instead of what the teacher was showing. The techniques for the day were Koku, Renyo and Danshu. And they were obviously starting with one of the first two, but they were pretty much ignoring the hand techniques to jump straight to the point where one could catch the other with a strong and fast kick. What they were doing was IMO an insult to the teacher.
Everyone comes to trainig for different reasons. I'm sure experienced teachers are accustomed to people with different motivations coming in through the door, and invest their time in each accordingly.
:asian:

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
You and your "partner" were "touching" each other? Where were you training, San Francisco?

Sir, you are way out of line here. In the last several threads I have read you always seem to be sniping someone, or making derogatory remarks. When I find an opening with my own students I tap their face or something to let them know there was an opening. Sometimes I will throw them when they either dont take balance or when they give me mine back. Either way it is good and respectfull training.

I make a motion that this individual be permanently banned.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few different options on MT that one can use if they are having a problem with a member.

1- PM

2- Email

3- Ignore

4- RTM

Please keep the discussion on a friendly and respectful level.

Mike

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My way of dealing with these situations is through empathy. I try to observe what they're doing and why they're doing it. Sometimes, I may not agree with their motivations, but I think I can learn something from everyone, regardless of what their intentions are.

At the end of the day, I'm not annoyed because I know that I've made the best of what some people might see as a negative situation. I'm also confident that I'm the only one responsible for my anger and frustration.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountain Kusa said:
Sir, you are way out of line here. In the last several threads I have read you always seem to be sniping someone, or making derogatory remarks. When I find an opening with my own students I tap their face or something to let them know there was an opening. Sometimes I will throw them when they either dont take balance or when they give me mine back. Either way it is good and respectfull training.

I make a motion that this individual be permanently banned.
Kizaru has his own "Special" relationship with some of the posters here... as such he may say some werid things when he posts to them that the general public doesnt get. We tend to shake our heads at him when he does.

But, As MJS suggested, you can use the Ignore feature at the bottom of his profile to hide his posts, or if you find a problem with anyone's post use the Report to moderator functiont at the Top right hanb corner of the post in question.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountain Kusa said:
Sir, you are way out of line here. In the last several threads I have read you always seem to be sniping someone, or making derogatory remarks.

Well in this case, Kizaru was my training partner for the session I was talking about. The most resentment I have for the post where he teases me about "touching" my training partner is that I nearly ruined a keyboard with my morning coffee I was laughing so hard. I nearly wrote about how my partner was moaning and seemed to be enjoying himself the harder I hit him just to toss the zinger back.

But I remembered that it was not only him and I reading these boards. That seems to be something he forgot.

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Well in this case, Kizaru was my training partner for the session I was talking about. The most resentment I have for the post where he teases me about "touching" my training partner is that I nearly ruined a keyboard with my morning coffee I was laughing so hard. I nearly wrote about how my partner was moaning and seemed to be enjoying himself the harder I hit him just to toss the zinger back.

But I remembered that it was not only him and I reading these boards. That seems to be something he forgot.
I would probably be able to type better if i didnt have my foot in my mouth, I understand now and retract my statement. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to clarify this.:whip: I just have to laugh now! It is funny

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Kizaru has his own "Special" relationship with some of the posters here...
Woo Hoo!

Technopunk said:
We tend to shake our heads at him when he does.
I like to keep things shakin'...

Technopunk said:
But, As MJS suggested, you can use the Ignore feature at the bottom of his profile to hide his posts,
"Ignore - ance is Bliss"

Mountain Kusa said:
I would probably be able to type better if i didnt have my foot in my mouth,
I know the feeling...I usually type all of my posts with my tongue, so if I've got anything in my mouth like a Reese's Peanut Buttercup, my foot or someone else's fist, it tends to make typing more complicated...

Don Roley said:
...he teases me about "touching" my training partner ...my partner was moaning and seemed to be enjoying himself the harder I hit him ....
Bad Touch! BAD TOUCH!!!

Donny Shihan said:
But I remembered that it was not only him and I reading these boards.
That's right! "Hot Pants" and "Panda" read them too!!!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
So do we skirt-wearers in San Francisco. And now that I think of it, Don's been known to wear one on occasion himself. :uhyeah:
The difference being that Don wears his in Roppongi while trying to pick up sailors... :p

Jeff

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
The difference being that Don wears his in Roppongi while trying to pick up sailors... :p

Let me make this damn clear for all of you morons.....

I do not try to pick up sailors in Roppongi!!!!!!!

I have to go all the way to Yokohama to find guys off the ship.

Ohayo Gozaimasu everyone. I hope your morning coffee glistens gently as it drips from your keyboard and monitor. :2xBird2:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arite. We have had our fun, can we bring the thread back on topic now?

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How do you keep you and your uke training on the topic at hand? Stop the distraction before it starts.

If you walk into a dojo or seminar that has alot of unfamiliar people, "interview" them; the same way people "interview" each other before a fight, mugging, or assault, but maybe in a more subtle way. Walk up to people, how do they make you feel? Don't judge a book by it's cover; by what you see, what do your guts tell you? Is this person at training for the same reason as you? Does this person have something to prove? Are they depressed? Excited? etc etc.... Introduce yourself; what do you read from them there? Shake hands; how do you react to contact with them, how do they react to contact with you? Make small talk; what do you read from them in there? Don't brag or otherwise be challenging during the interview in a way that could blossom out into a bigger issue during training. "Interview" a few people...who do you think you'd train with best today? Sometimes this "interview" technique will work, sometimes it won't, but I've felt I've learned alot even from the people who "fooled me" during the interview process. Also, if you have some kind of relationship with someone, no matter how shallow, it makes it easier to say, "hey let's stay on topic with what the teacher is doing" or give other constructive feedback rather than if you were two total strangers or the unknown new guy in the ninja school trying to prove himself to the veteran students and the teacher.

Being able to gather information in a subtle way about your environment and the people in it has a wide range of applications. In my own life, I've found that this "interview" skill I'm developing has taught me as much about others as it's taught me about how I interact with the world around me.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's probably fine and dandy as long as you don't show up a bit late, as well as in Japan, where you rarely if ever are told to switch training partners by the instructor...

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
... where you rarely if ever are told to switch training partners by the instructor...
What is the general consensus out there about being forced to switch partners?

As a general rule - it annoys the crap out of me.

-Daniel

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DWeidman said:
What is the general consensus out there about being forced to switch partners?
I can see its usefulness as a training tool. I'll often have people switch, especially beginners. Otherwise, you'll see them train with the same person week after week. IMO, you should train with as many different people, and as many different body types as possible.

Jeff

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A certain instructor in Japan does what I call the "idiot drill." I have noticed that when there is someone acting like an idiot with his partner, the shihan has us switch partners several times a night. It means more people have to put up with the guy for about ten minutes, but no one has to endure him for more than ten minutes.

And I think I should point out that the very idea of resisting a technique, or trying to make a technique work against a resisting opponent, is one I am opposed to and I think it is wrong.

I am not talking about acting like a Ron Duncan uke and throw yourself over at the merest touch. Nor am I talking about refraining from pointing out mistakes by "touching" them and the like. I am talking about trying to do oni kudaki on someone who knows it is coming and is trying to resist you putting it on. I call it the "oni kudaki or bust" syndrome.

Some people still believe that kyojitsu tenkan ho is about deceiving other people. Not quite. It is a bit more complicated than that. But in any case, in an art that puts a lot into the other guy thinking the wrong thing about you, doesn't it lack common sense to train to do something the other guy obviously knows of and is waiting for? The original post of this thread where Nimravus said he did not try to do the technique that was being resisted and instead punched the guy is an excellent example of combat strategy IMO.

Let me stress this..... If the other guy knows what is coming he can set up a resistance to it. So if he starts to resist, it means he knows what is coming. If you train yourself to double your efforts getting on a technique, you are training yourself to do the expected instead of flow into something the other guy is not expecting. So, by trying to set it up so you have to work really hard to do oni kudaki, your training partner is trying to insall bad habits in you for combat.

I hope I made that clear. It is something I feel strongly about.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
It is something I feel strongly about.

So do I. It's why hearing things like, "Would that work on a resisting opponent?" make me want to tear my hear out and scream. If you're encountering resistance, you need to be doing something different.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I still don't see the point of always pointing out when and where you're capable of hitting your training partner. Many times such opportunities wouldn't have appeared if you both moved in "combat speed".

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Many times such opportunities wouldn't have appeared if you both moved in "combat speed".

And many times they will. I would rather not have even small flaws than to rely on no one being able to take advantage of them.

Latest Discussions