Where are Five Swords' five swords?

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the history Doc. I missed the 5 Count.

Billy, no offense intended. I knew what you were referencing and why, and was merely trying to refocus given some of the non-EPAK people who still do Five or Seven Swords. The extension did not have anything to do with the naming convention however. But I can see how it could be rationalized or explained that way, as it makes sense.

-Michael

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Thanks for the history Doc. I missed the 5 Count.

Billy, no offense intended. I knew what you were referencing and why, and was merely trying to refocus given some of the non-EPAK people who still do Five or Seven Swords. The extension did not have anything to do with the naming convention however. But I can see how it could be rationalized or explained that way, as it makes sense.

-Michael

Thanks. Ya know... there are still a couple of guys that call it the "Five Count". Albert Cornejo, for instance, does that sometimes.

:supcool:

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Chees-N-Crackers, Gotallmuddy...how old do you think he is?:)

So, you have heard it as "slicing the sun"? or are you just crack'n.....
:boing2:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
sumdumguy said:
Hey, what about "Slicing the Sun" ?.... Doc?
Now that's one I haven't heard, but in the old, and even not so old days when guys would break off from Parker, they would use his basic techniques but change some of the names to make it "different." Tracy's did both, using some names and creating new names for old techniques I recognized.

But in the end those names are only for group consumption for teaching purposes (as you know), it's the content and effectiveness of the technique that's important no matter what its called. Some of them are bad on both ends. Bad names and bad techniques.

This was and is common since Parker in one Kenpo perspective emphasized "flexibility, self-expression, and creativity." Everyone may think they're a good cook, but a bad chef will be exposed as soon as the guests "sit down to eat."

"Nuthin' up my sleeve."

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's why I don't cook..lol
I may have heard the slicing the sun thing from someone else.. who knows? Mr. Rainey still calls it Five count to this day, along with ?????? tech that he calls "hot hands" anyone?
Thanks Doc :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
sumdumguy said:
That's why I don't cook..lol
I may have heard the slicing the sun thing from someone else.. who knows? Mr. Rainey still calls it Five count to this day, along with ?????? tech that he calls "hot hands" anyone?
Thanks Doc :asian:
Well I don't know about a technique, but A.C. always had smokin' "hot hands." One of the many, but few good guys of kenpo that not enough people know about.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seen some very cool modifications, designed to augment the flare-of-specialty of the particular guy who broke off. Some wicked, purely head-hunting versions of the same general movement pattern, but obviously sacrificing some of the lessons perhaps meant to be in the originals.

Liked some of the names, sometimes even better than the techniques...Daggar Set (14-point), Whirling Swords (wider arcs), etc. All pretty much resembled slight modifications of the (sp?) redundo pattern from arnis. Saw one called "perpetual swords", blending the six-point arnis drill with 5-swords. Fun drill.

For the coop-dee-grass, though, I still burn with envy & admiration when watching that clip of Mr. Parker doing 5-swords on Mr. Picks website. You would never think, in a million years, if you just met the stocky Hawaiian on the street that he could move that fast and walk away before non-chalantly before you identified which way your eyes rolled.

Just sickly freakin' cool.

D.

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think thier site is down.... wanted to see that darn it! I have a video of him doing a commercial for the pasadena school? maybe, pretty smoke'n stuff.....
:asian:

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The black text is verbatim from the EPAK orange belt manual. Blue is where I was taught to count the swords

1. While standing naturally with feat together, step forward and slightly to your left (to 11 o'clock) with your right foot (still in a neutral bow) and deliver a right inward strike to inside of opponent's right punch using your left hand to check.
2. Immediately strike to opponent's neck with your right outward chop.(1)
3. Left finger thrust (palm down) (2 modified to a heal palm to the chin) to opponent's eyes as your right hand cocks to your right hip. This is done while you pivot into a right forward bow.
4. With left hand now guarding horizontally and open (palm down) deliver a right uppercut to opponent's solar plexus as you pivot to a right neutral bow(3).
5. Immediately have your left foot slide counter clockwise (to 4 o'clock) into a right forward bow as your left heal palm strikes to left jaw of opponent (4 modified to a left outward chop to the left side of the opponent's neck with frictional pull to bend the opponent over) (striking in an outwardly fashion). Without hesitation and while shifting into a right neutral bow have your left hand hook and pull opponent's head down as your deliver a right overhead downward handsword (5) to the back of opponent's neck.

OP
K

Kenpo_Chick

HEY GUYS!! MISS ME!?!?! (Doubt it but I'm gonna tell you something anyway!)

Bill Lear said:
1. While standing naturally, have your right foot step forward into a right neutral bow (facing 12:00) checking the inside of your opponent's right knee with your right knee. In the process execute a right inward block to the inside of your opponent's right forearm, while using your left hand to check high. (The effect of both actions is to expose the width of his body.)

No handsword strike here. :idunno:

Ok i beg to difffer but let me explain quickly. Our instructors told us that this can be a double knife hand strike to the arms (rather than an inward block). However one instructor prefers to use two closed hand blocks while the other prefers to use a double knife hand strike (one to the forearm the other to the upper part of the arm (damn names I forgot what it's called!!:idunno: )

2. Immediately strike to the right side of your opponent's neck with a right outward handsword. (This action helps to nullify the Height, Width, and Depth Zones of your opponent.)

Ahhh, a handsword. :)

:)YAH!

3. Pivot into a right forward bow (facing 12:00) as you execute left four-finger thrust (palm down) to your opponent's eyes while your right hand cocks to your right hip (fist clenched and palm up). (The effect of this poke should snap your opponent's head back and away from you.)

Hmmm... Is a four-finger thrust to the eyes a handsword? I dunno. In this instance I'll say yes. Handsword #2? :idunno:

I dunno about this one I got taught a palm's heel to the peltrum (can't spell!! Hey I'm only a teenager give ME A BREAK!!)

4. Having caused your opponent's head to move away from you will cause his midsection to jut forward. Take advantage of this anticipated response by pivoting into right neutral bow, as you strike with a right uppercut punch to your oppoent's stomach. In the process, your left hand becomes a cocking check that is guarding horizontally, palm down near your right biceps. (This action should result in your opponent bending over at the waist.)

Uppercut. Not a handsword. :uhohh:

We got told in class that this was a swordshand in ancient times. :uhyeah:

5. With your opponent now bending over, immediately have your left foot slide counterclockwise (toward 4:30) into a right forward bow (while now facing 10:30), as your left handsword strikes to the left side of your opponent's neck. Your right hand acts sa a positional check against any further potential danger from your opponent's left arm.

A handsw:partyon:eek:rd!

YAH! :partyon:

6. Without hesitation and while pivoting into a right neutral bow, have your left hand (during the interum) hook to the left side of, as well as on top of, your opponent's neck, to aid you in pulling his head down if necessary. Within the double flow (the circular movements of both of your hands) of your action, execute a right inward handsword to the back of your opponent's neck. At the time your right handsword strikes, your left hand should be checking low.

Another one! But, that's only four so far, right? :eek:

EXTENSION TIME! :uhyeah:

7. Immediately (from your left hand checking position) execute a left inward-upward heel palm under your oppoent's chin. Instantly convert this strike into an inward five-finger claw across your opponent's face as your right hnd cocks (palm up) to the left side of your heart. This action shouldturn your opponent's head toward you.

8. Instantly pivot counterclockwise into a right reverse as you execute a right outward (diagonally upward) handsword to the right side of your opponent's neck.

Handsword #5!!! :knight:

9. From your right reverse bow, deliver a right back stiff-leg lifting kick to your opponent's groin. (Drag your left foot toward your right foot if you need to gauge your distance.)

10. From the point of contact of your kick, execute a right front crossover, and cover out twice toward 4:30.

Sometimes the techniques get their names from their extensions. Like Dance Of Death, you technically don't start dancing on your opponent in that one until you hit the extension. Just a thought... I could be wrong.
WELL CATCH YOU GUYS LATA!!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo Chick,

I am glad you had so much fun posting your instructor's interpretation of Five Sword. It was very entertaining to read. I particularly liked the"
A handsw:partyon
redface.gif
rd!
Glad you are back,
-Michael