When to stop jumping

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well? When will you stop jumping in hyungs and will you stop jumping and spinning first?

Some, I know, will stop upon their first serious knee injury, others when they start getting arthritis in their knees and/or hips.

So ... when will you stop, why, and what are your plans in your art after that?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for the most part I have stopped jumping and flying in the air mainly because of bad knees and the extra wieght. If and when all of this 85 pounds are gone I'm sure my knees will feel better and then the jumping can start again for a limited time.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-At the moment, I'm not studying martial arts, mostly due to scheduling. But having very flat feet and now wearing arch supports to adjust, your question gives me some thoughts. I suppose during training, a person does what they can, to push themselves on all levels. During combat, you would only leave the ground if you felt it was the right thing to do. If you get to the point where you can no longer jump, then simply work on the techniques that you can do. Of course, you should also make it a point to train against people who can still jump, to deal with those techniques, even if you cannot do them. I'll spend the rest of the day running this through my head while I'm in the rain at work;-) Good question!!!

A--->

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say as soon as possible. When I was just a kid a junior instructor had us all spar while hopping on one foot. I endeed up hurting myself so badly I swore off the aireal stuff at age sixteen.
Sean

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The sooner the better. In fact, as teachers, if our objectives are to create an art that someone can practice with longevity, then we need to seriously rethink our curriculum.

I look at my own art, TSD, this is based upon Okinawan Karate which had practioners actively training in their golden years. Did those guys practice jumping and spinning? No. Did they practice a heck of alot of other self defense skills other then jumping and spinning. Hell yes!

I'm 30 years old. I've been practicing martial arts for 20 years and TSD for 10. Thinking about the above objective has caused me to totally rethink what I do. Much of the jumping and spinning is now gone from the TSD that I practice. Why? Because I don't want to ask the question "when to stop jumping/spinning" 20 years from now when all of the damage is done.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have just recently stopped jumping and started doing a little hop-skip motion instead. The only time I plan on jumping now is for testing purposes.

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is interesting....because I blew out my right knee not when I was jumping....but when I was doing a standard sliding up round kick. A kick I must have thrown a million times before. Did I not rotate my back foot. Yes and no. I had atleast a 45 degree rotation of the toes to the rear....and the ACL ripped right in half. Could it have been the extra weight I now carry in middle age? Maybe. Was it the poor rotation? Probably didn't help the situation. Was it just fatique set in because I had been in the gym working out for over 4 hours? Certainly could contribute to it.

No....it probably was because the knee was already injured....but like the tough guy I am....I didn't do anything about it because as a 'martial artist' I should be able to turn off the pain and have the discipline to persevere even in adversity.

Or...maybe its just because I'm getting old....and that sucks!

Anyway.....my 'jumping days'....are done!

JH

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, I blew out my right knee doing a flying side kick at 27 (my knee went the wrong direction flying at a heavy hanging bag). Also I was doing or trying to do 540's and stuff at 29 and 30 years old. I could do them, and after showing some teenagers how to do them, I blew out my left hip. Then I blew out my left knee at work. So, I said enough. I'm too old for that stuff. I stick to the basics now ... easier on the body ;) I can still do the jumping stuff, but I save it for special occassions like testing and tournies. That's not to mention how many times I pulled the good ol' hammies. I still have one that is bugging me from 4 months ago.

Your body lets you know when to go easy.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some injuries just happen. I knew a guy who was playing a simple game of tag with his kid and blew his achilles tendon. All he did was take three steps to accelerate and it popped on the third step.

With that being said, I don't think that you can use this as an excuse to not think about your curriculum if longevity of practice is part of your art. And if it isn't, have at it! I'll still totally respect the athleticism.

Some moves are rediculously dangerous and have absolutely no martial application. Practicing these isn't for me because they don't fit my objectives.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have witnessed people blowing out there knees doing something they have done a thousand times before. It certainly appears that as we age our joints do become susceptible to damage. I think upnorthkyusa has the right idea by eliminating items from his training that have no martial value. (based on what he wants to achieve) Having said that I still enjoy watching someone performing aerial kicks but I will not be doing them anymore myself.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I don't do it nearly as often, I hope to keep jumping as long as I am able.

Hopefully I'll get some cues from my body that it is time to stop before I injure something... hopefully.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you can put a quantifiable number like age on it. Some older students are in fantastic shape (Jhoon Rhee and Hee Il Cho come to mind). Others are 25 years old and couldn't jump if their lives depended on it. My answer is this: I will stop jumping when my body tells me it is time to stop. Otherwise, with proper practice and conditioning, I see no reason to believe I will have to stop jumping anytime soon (I'm 38).

Chattan

White Belt
Reaction score
Brian stated:

I have witnessed people blowing out there knees doing something they have done a thousand times before. It certainly appears that as we age our joints do become susceptible to damage. I think upnorthkyusa has the right idea by eliminating items from his training that have no martial value. (based on what he wants to achieve) Having said that I still enjoy watching someone performing aerial kicks but I will not be doing them anymore myself.

I agree with this. I cut out jumping and spinning kicks roughly ten years ago because the damage that they have on the knees, hips and back. I also tried to remove techniques and training methods that could lead to future damage of said areas. I did this because I talked to older martial artists who were no longer able to participate due to injuries sustained by those techniques.

I think that many would stay longer in TKD and related arts if there were curriculum changes to the arts. This way the practitioner could remain active in the curriculum for years without any real damage.

Good thread and something that needs to be examined more indepth.

Joe

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been blessed to still have good knees after 24 years in Taekwondo. I'd say, the sooner one learns to stay on the ground, the better.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have hurt my knees in the past grappling but have always been able to do jump kicks with no problem. However a couple of years ago I observed someone blow out their knee doing a front jump scissor kick. He did not jump high or land hard but unfortunately his knee had had enough. Took him quite a while to recover and he will not be doing jumping kicks ever again.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well? When will you stop jumping in hyungs and will you stop jumping and spinning first?

Some, I know, will stop upon their first serious knee injury, others when they start getting arthritis in their knees and/or hips.

So ... when will you stop, why, and what are your plans in your art after that?

Damage so far: 1.) miniscus in my left knee - took 3 months off and kept it light for a year, now I wear a brace for sparring, testing or when we run through all our forms. 2.) I have arthritis sneaking into my lower back; but I've found a miracle cure in using Magnabloc brand magnets.... like magic but the pain is now a 2 out of 10 compared to a constant 8 previously. 3.) a little pain and less flexibility in my right hip so I've had to cut back on tornado roundhouse; but I'm still able to get the axe and crescent kicks to still work. 4.) Fell and tore up my right ankle (thought I broke it originally). Doesn't bother me to much when it does I tape on a magnet and in 20 minutes I'm good to go. I do were an ankle brace for sparring and runnining.

I'll keep up with TKD until the magnets stop working - even then our instructor is VERY understanding about the impact aging has on the adult athlete and she will modify training for the over 40 crowd.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a huge difference:
Chosing to stop the leaps/jumps
and being forced too.

Me? The hips were hurting terribly...caused me to reconsider the usefulness of jumping, the realism that I feel it lacks. THEN...the Kneeeeeeeeeeees went south!! That's when I HAD to stop, when I was forced too. But by then, I didn't miss it, an I don't think I'm worse off for it one ounce.

Your Brother
John

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not really jump per se anymore. I am on the quick slide or tiny hop or skip plan. Just barely enough to get off the ground. My golden rule is "If it hurts do not do it."

Pheonix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now, I'm only eighteen and haven't learned the impacts of ageing first hand. However I am afraid that one day I will become injured and it will have long term effects to the point that I will not be able to continue jumping, spinning, and falling. Just because I am afraid that I will be injured doing some of these things I won't let it stop me. If you don't do something important to you or to save something important to you then you will only live with the purpose of regreting not doing it.

I also believe that if it hurts you really shouldn't do it. This in MY opinion is smart even though I don't always abide by it. I feel that there are times when you need to just tough it out and live with the pain.

I guess what I am trying to say is I will only stop jumping and spinning when it hurts too much or might cause furthur injury to myself. However when I feel that the need arises I would still jump or spin and deal with the pain.

Farang
Adam

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I also believe that if it hurts you really shouldn't do it. This in MY opinion is smart even though I don't always abide by it. I feel that there are times when you need to just tough it out and live with the pain.

I agree in principal but there is "good" hurt and "bad" hurt. Good hurt is where you are pushing yourself and the muscles need to improve to cope, bad hurt is where you do yourself damage and should no longer push it. People can tell the difference with experience.