When do you teach/train the LEFT hand?

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Great thread! Since most of the posts, appear to be in agreement about training the left side (or right side if you are naturally a lefty), how are you training your non-dominent side?? I'll assume most people are practicing sinawali, of some type? (mirror imaging method) so what else do you do to enhance your non dominent side?

Here are a few suggestions (left only can be substituted with non dominent)

1) Mirror imaging
2) Left only drills (most are again mirror imaging)
3) Left only sparring vs right only sparring
4) Left only vs left only sparring
5) Scenarios left only
6) Independent left drills (non mirror imaging)
7) Left only vs double(left and right) weapons sparring

Gumagalang
Guro Steve Lefebvre

www.Bujinkandojo.net
www.Sayoc .com

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve, to expand on what you have started....

For drills,
2 stick sombrada, substitute the left strike for the right in flow (ie: instead of a #5 thrust its a #3 strike with the left hand, partner's wing block will be the same for either.)

Siniwali vs single stick - partner does basic heaven earth pattern, single stick in left or right blocks all of the strikes with sombrada blocks.

Sparring dominant side to dominant side (left or right) when/if arm gets hit, transfer weapon to other hand and continue. Of course if you get a good clean hit on the head or body then it doesn't really matter.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
You see this helped him recover by training both sides of his brain and working both sides of his auto muscle techniques.

Very interesting point.

Studies have shown that left-handers are generally more creative due to the fact that they use the right side of the brain more, I guess there are attributes assigned to different quadrants in the brain and we should all try to tap into those to make us better.

On a side note, I was in class with my wife, we are getting remarried in the Catholic church and they had an exercise to sign your name with your dominant hand than sign it with you off hand (I think it was to show natural reactions vs thinking abouting...I wasn't really paying attention:rolleyes: ). She was freaked out when my right looked almost exactly like my left.

Some people actually train people to use there left hand first before the right, reason being is so the left can "catch-up" to the right.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My biggest use of the left hand is while teaching--facing the class and doing the technique with my left hand while they do it with their right so they can mirror me directly. Mr. Hartman always made very effective use of this in teaching trick and I've tried to pick it up.

Every now and then in sparring with knives I'll switch hands and try to goof people up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Like the hidden ball trick, sometimes they just don't mentally register the change until it's too late.

S

sercuerdasfigther

renegade,

sercuerdas is from ser=serrada and cuerdas=decuerdas. it honors angel cabales and his teacher dizon. if you need more info let me know.

R

Rocky

From day one! In fact if you are right handed thatn your left hand is actually your most active and sensitive hand and vice versa.

Rocky

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i thought we trained to fight angles of attack, not left or right handed attackers.

On the surface, yes we do train against angles of attack. But the practice of defending against angles and fighting along angles is only one theory among many employed in the FMA. A person facing you in mirror image has a different set of options for moving their body (footwork and level changing) and counter attacking you. For example, a mirror position (lefty on righty) fight to dominate the outside is very different than a cross position (righty on righty) fight to dominate the outside and it employs and emphasizes different aspects of angle theory, zoning theory, and following lines of retraction especially in terms of footwork and live hand checking.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by sercuerdasfigther
renegade,

sercuerdas is from ser=serrada and cuerdas=decuerdas. it honors angel cabales and his teacher dizon. if you need more info let me know.

That sounds great! My e-mail is [email protected]

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade
There is a difference between left-handed attackers and right ones.:asian:

PS. I've never heard of your style before, could you tell us a little about it?

Well, yes and no. There are subtle differences, but for the most part defending angle one, two, three and so on is essentially the same until you get in really close. It changes a bit then. but the concepts still remain the same.

Tim Kashino

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoxN4cer
It changes a bit then.

Tim Kashino

Exactly, at close ranges you will notice the difference the most. When your opponent uses their secondary hand you may find yourself on the inside line when you normally be positioned for the outside line.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade
Exactly, at close ranges you will notice the difference the most. When your opponent uses their secondary hand you may find yourself on the inside line when you normally be positioned for the outside line.

True, but it all comes down to understanding geometry, manily the relationship between arc, angle and straight lines. How you choose to counter will dictate how you may end up defending against the recounter. In conceptual terms, the applications are the same but with subtle differences in your angle of approach. You can still break someone's elbow or cut a blood vessel regarless of whether you are on the inside or the outside.

Tim Kashino

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoxN4cer
True, but it all comes down to understanding geometry, manily the relationship between arc, angle and straight lines. How you choose to counter will dictate how you may end up defending against the recounter. In conceptual terms, the applications are the same but with subtle differences in your angle of approach. You can still break someone's elbow or cut a blood vessel regarless of whether you are on the inside or the outside.

Tim Kashino

Tim and Tim,

You guys are saying much the same thing.

And in theory it is the same, and this is how you teach it, to let the student know it can be applied on either side with either hand. Yet, your postiioning and distancing may put you in postiion for a counter that may not be there if it is right on left versus right on right.

So, in teaching singles it is the same. In teaching your options for the recounter it is the same since you will treat it just like the angle of attack, no matter which hand is attacking you. Yet, on the right versus left, there are options and lack of options that are not normal, meaning the stardard techniques taught. If you think about it, you know them all from the single technique only it has not been seen in the mixing bowl. So, yes, it is the same yet different until the student practices it.

:asian:

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Tim and Tim,

You guys are saying much the same thing.

And in theory it is the same, and this is how you teach it, to let the student know it can be applied on either side with either hand. Yet, your postiioning and distancing may put you in postiion for a counter that may not be there if it is right on left versus right on right.

So, in teaching singles it is the same. In teaching your options for the recounter it is the same since you will treat it just like the angle of attack, no matter which hand is attacking you. Yet, on the right versus left, there are options and lack of options that are not normal, meaning the stardard techniques taught. If you think about it, you know them all from the single technique only it has not been seen in the mixing bowl. So, yes, it is the same yet different until the student practices it.

:asian:

Yep, we are pretty much saying the same thing. I suppose our conceptual approaches may be the only difference. The way I see it, it's really all the same whether you're matched with your opponent or not. The point I was trying to make is that the same concepts will be applied along slightly different lines to effect the same outcome in the end, regardless of positioning and handedness.

Tim Kashino

Latest Discussions