When do you pull your knife?

K

kenpohands

Interesting question. Many of you train with a knife all the time. Howmany have actually been in a knife fight? That changes everything.
Anyway, I PERSONALLY would never pull a blade on an unarmed individual. If I were in the street, from a distance(witnesses) I was the one drawing a weapon. I would be breaking the law by just drawing a weapon on someone. I should be able to handle myself one on one unarmed. However, if a knife were to be drawn on me, there again I should be able to handle a knife attack unarmed, I may use his weapon on him, but it would have to be a real life of death situation for me to draw. I carry a customized Karambit all the time. It has been waved for fast draw. I would first use it in the closed position as an impact device, I would deploy ONLY if I needed to and I would Cut ONLY what I had to to stop the attacker. I would NEVER kill an attacker just cuz I could. A cut Pectorallis or bicep will stop an attack , be assured. On the street the intent is not to kill , but to terrorize/injure the victim into giving up money or something. On the battle field the intent is to KILL, Therefore using lethal retaliation on a civilian attack is going to end you up in prison somewhere. 98% of knife stabbings on the street end up in the ER then OR, 98% end up surviving. Only trainied knifers go for the kill with their cuts/stabs. Most just stab to the extremities and torso and run. SO the excuse that you would rather be in Jail than dead is a weak one. Being in prision is like being dead in my opinion. All my reasons mentioned are documented by doing time with the Chief MD at the Martin Luther King and County ER in Los Angeles. 4-5 knife victims a weekend. I wanted to see first hand and talk to someone who saved all these guys firsthand. THe stats I quoted are from witnessing first hand knife stabbings in the ER. They save most of the victims believe it or not. Most stabbings puncture lungs or puncture intestines, occassional kidney and liver. Very few cut major arteries. The heart is very protected in an knife fight. It takes a skilled attack to hit the heart and a pretty long blade. How many REAL gang bangers do you know with stab scars? I know MAny.

This is JUST MY own Opinion. I am not telling you urban RAMBOS how to conduct yourself in an altercation, Kill and cut away. We all make choices, and we must all live with the outcomes of such choices.
Angelo Collado :asian: :asian:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My knives (having owned many) are Tools. They always have been and always will be. They become weapons when the situation calls for it. Thankfully as of late they haven't been called to serve... for a long time. In fact the last time was a little over 15 years ago that I've had to use my "tool" as a weapon. Oddly enough... I didn't consider it as a tool then but as a weapon. Am I making sense? Basically I've changed view points.

Now-a-days I will only draw my knife if I am in that life-threatening situation, which hasn't happened in a very long time... 15 years in fact. As [email protected] said... being aware of your surroundings will greatly reduce the possibility of having to use any type of force. Even your own fists/feet ... which as MA's we're training them to be, no?
Knives (as I'm sure Sharp Phil would agree) are merely extensions of our fists/hands.
Were I to find myself having to use my *ahem* tool in a confrontation then if possible I'd lose it afterwards and tell whatever LEO's that they cut themselves on a beer bottle or something. That is... if I didn't vacate the area fast enough. Cause I'm not going to be hanging around in a SD situation after defusing it. If the assailant is going to die then I'd call 911... while enroute to a different place.

Latest Discussions