When do you consider yourself a student...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll always be a student of the arts as long as I can move and breath
no matter how many others i pass my knowledge along to

Bravo!!! Well said...I will keep learning for as long as I can and reguardless of my rank I will always consider myself a student of the martial arts..Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The previous 2 posts above have said it best. As instructors (of ANY discipline) we are first & foremost students. We become teachers of the discipline because we enjoy the Art & sharing with others. The best instructors are some of the best students of the Arts. The one's that think they've "arrived" aren't worth being around. IMO

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The previous 2 posts above have said it best. As instructors (of ANY discipline) we are first & foremost students. We become teachers of the discipline because we enjoy the Art & sharing with others. The best instructors are some of the best students of the Arts. The one's that think they've "arrived" aren't worth being around. IMO

I agree as well: "A good student can learn any time, any where." - from the Student/Instructor Relationship, Student side, in The Encyclopedia of TaeKwon-Do, Gen. Choi, Hong Hi. I would add, however - from any one - good students learn from seniors, from juniors, from people on the street, from whomever is around.

Another thread got me thinking about this topic. What does it take to be a student of a particular instructor?

For instance, would you consider yourself a student of a particular instructor if you took a seminar with them? Would you consider yourself a student of a person if you trained with them for six months? Basically, when do you consider yourself a student of a particular instructor?

I am curious to hear other people's definitions.

Thanks!

The original question, however, was the one given above. I would consider myself the student of a particular instructor when the instructor considers me to be a serious student of that instructor. The student/instructor relationship goes both ways - and for a student to truly be a student of a particular instructor, the instructor must acknowledge the relationship as well.

OP
M

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are some excellent posts. It has been very enlightening to say the least.

What does everyone think about people that advertise they have "trained with" various well known martial artists in various styles?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some excellent posts. It has been very enlightening to say the least.

What does everyone think about people that advertise they have "trained with" various well known martial artists in various styles?

It would depend on what you consider training a seminar is not training in my opinion. Stopping by for a day is not training. Training in 20 ARt in Five year and being a BBinevery one is not training.

So my question is simple are you talking training or get togethers?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me pose a question for pondering. Are you not a student of someone, if you learn something/anything form someone? I have had many teachers and not all of them are from the martial arts, but have still taught me martial arts techniques.

Just a little food for thought.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does everyone think about people that advertise they have "trained with" various well known martial artists in various styles?[/quote]

I tend to take it with a grain of salt, honestly. I've been to seminars done by Bill Wallace & Kathy Long. I learned good things from them. But because I've gotten my picture with them doesn't make me their student. The picture in my avatar is of GM Park, Hae Man. I'm not his student, but his student's student. I put that picture up not to impress anyone here. But simply as a reminder of a great seminar & my lineage.

Sadly, folks who don't know can be impressed by those lists & photos. If it results in money in the pockets of these folks (those who claim to train with the MA "celebs") or ego strokes or whatever; the photo or story has done it's intended job.

OP
M

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
It would depend on what you consider training a seminar is not training in my opinion. Stopping by for a day is not training. Training in 20 ARt in Five year and being a BBinevery one is not training.

So my question is simple are you talking training or get togethers?

I would have to ask those that use the "trained with" on their websites. My assumption would be that these amrtial artists have attended a one day seminar. Now, I am not speaking of lectures like one would see in college or university level classes, but rather actual practicing of techniques.

Namu

White Belt
Reaction score
I know someone who founded a martial art, gave himself a 3rd dan in it, then a 4th and now calls himself "master".

I'm not going to get into everything I see wrong with that whole set up...

He was also telling a couple of students (of his martial art) last night of an experience he and I shared with one of "our grandmasters". It is a grandmaster who we both went to a seminar with...once.

I will consider myself a student of that grandmaster, when my master orders some of the grandmaster's curriculum DVD's and we start video testing.

Latest Discussions