When Did You Start Noticing Your Mistakes?

Aniela13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with those who have said it's when you become comfortable with the moves...
...in the more humorous realm, I used to have a tendency to step in and try to jam kicks during sparring. After receiving a side kick to the ribs that literally threw me in the air and back a few feet (a couple weeks ago)...I noticed that mistake and haven't done it since ^_^

~Ani

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really sure when it was 'first', but do know that once I began teaching it back to others, wow...everything became glaring.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I find teaching is one of the best tools for learning.

As soon as I started teaching, nearly no basic mistake was hidden to me. I had seen it enough times to know what I was looking for in my own actions.

I may have noticed most of my mistakes before teaching, but teaching was a real turning point.

If you have a video camera, that can really help push you along in finding your mistakes also. Watch it and see how many times you go "that looks so wrong."

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me it's just started, I've been going to my class and just tearing myself apart noticing all the things that I've been doing wrong, and I always remind myself to take it back to the basics.

Preach it, brother! You can never do your basics too many times.

I was very fortunate to have a picky instructor who wouldn't let me get away with doing things wrong very often. That attention to detail has stuck with me and after I had been training for a year or so, the things he was telling me really started to turn on the light bulbs over my head. And when I had an issue of some sort, it has never failed that when I break it down to the component parts, I'm doing something wrong. When I get that basic fixed, whammo - I've got the technique fixed.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, the title is pretty self-explanatory, but there's a little bit more to it than that. I don't mean noticing when your technique isn't working, I mean when did you get to the point in your training when you noticed EVERYTHING you were doing wrong()?

What an excellent question. I got there after about four years. It is a funny thing, not only does every move feel wrong but the whole body feels different too.

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just recently I have noticed more and more and work on correcting them. Its taken until I hit my second year of training.

Latest Discussions